Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

facing facts...may have to return

facing facts...may have to return

Old May 20th 2009, 5:43 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default facing facts...may have to return

This is the dilemma we are facing, despite my husband being offered tons of work we are stuffed as he cant even get a provisional licence to work as no one will issue one without him gaining a cert 3 in plumbing first. It appears as a mechanical services and air con plumber we fall through the cracks of licensing regulations.

We go one step forward and 2 back and we feel its time to maybe call it a day, time is not on our side regarding our sons education and our money is fast running out.

So despite loving being here and our kids settling so well amd making tons of mates it seems we are doomed.

For those coming over please make sure you know every piece of licensing regulations you must face in order to work, we spent 3 years researching this move, doing trips and checking on our info on the aus govt website and even they have got it wrong, so if they dont know theres no hope for any of us.

good luck and please wish us luck to as our time is quickly running out.
Old May 20th 2009, 5:46 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: facing facts...may have to return

Originally Posted by wardy2
This is the dilemma we are facing, despite my husband being offered tons of work we are stuffed as he cant even get a provisional licence to work as no one will issue one without him gaining a cert 3 in plumbing first. It appears as a mechanical services and air con plumber we fall through the cracks of licensing regulations.

We go one step forward and 2 back and we feel its time to maybe call it a day, time is not on our side regarding our sons education and our money is fast running out.

So despite loving being here and our kids settling so well amd making tons of mates it seems we are doomed.

For those coming over please make sure you know every piece of licensing regulations you must face in order to work, we spent 3 years researching this move, doing trips and checking on our info on the aus govt website and even they have got it wrong, so if they dont know theres no hope for any of us.

Best of luck and I hope it all works out.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried RPL so that he doesn't have to do all the certIII.

Aus is really into RPL.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

RPL is an evidence gathering assessment process where an individual's skills and knowledge in a specific vocational area are assessed against a unit or units of a nationally accredited training package. RPL is specifically for applicants who have skills and knowledge in a vocational area that may enable them to gain part or all of a formal qualification thus recognizing their non-formal and informal prior learning. Contact the teaching department for further advice on RPL or request an information brochure from the Customer Service Centre.

Arrange to see the nearest one http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...&StateCode=QLD and enquire about RPL. They may know a friendly company that will help out with getting the missing units of competency.

Tell them you are looking for a "fair go, mate".

Good luck!
Ian
Old May 20th 2009, 6:38 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian we have RPL coming out of our ears lol, we started that journey in Feb still nowhere closer, monday we had a phone call from TAFE to tell us we had to submit everything now to the plumbers board and they will decide if we can go down that route, Plumbers board however have told us they dont want to speak to us anymore as they have nothing to do with this side of plumbing, we keep telling them we know that, thats why we are trying to get the cert 3 so they can license him, its like pulling teeth.

I have heard from others that you cant do the RPL in plumbing, but we are trying we really are.

Old May 20th 2009, 6:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian we have RPL coming out of our ears lol, we started that journey in Feb still nowhere closer, monday we had a phone call from TAFE to tell us we had to submit everything now to the plumbers board and they will decide if we can go down that route, Plumbers board however have told us they dont want to speak to us anymore as they have nothing to do with this side of plumbing, we keep telling them we know that, thats why we are trying to get the cert 3 so they can license him, its like pulling teeth.

I have heard from others that you cant do the RPL in plumbing, but we are trying we really are.

RPL assessors are like doctors - second, third... opinion.

Did you ring around and find the nicest?

You can be assessed by qualified assessor from anywhere and then take that to any tafe and do the missing units.

have you seen this http://www.vetpd.qld.gov.au/resource...3_plumbing.pdf. contact the people on page 2.

You'll get there.
Ian
Old May 20th 2009, 7:37 am
aka DORIS

thank you so much for that Ian I have never seen that.

the guy in the TAFE here said after seeing of of hubbies qualifications that he would take hubby on the plumbing course if he got permission of RPL office, but RPL office are saying they wont let him on til their have the nod from the plumbers and drainers board is this normal proceedure I have never heard of any one else having to do this.

I also learnt he would only have to do a minimum of 4 of the streams TAFE said he would have to do all 6, its not wonder I have a head ache. having done the checklist which was given to us from skilling solution he already does most of what is required apart from some sanitary and roofing

thank you so much for the help

Last edited by wardy2; May 20th 2009 at 7:39 am.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:40 am
Account Closed

Kaye

These are the people you need to talk to http://www.skillingsolutions.qld.gov.au/

Make an appointment to see a consultant.

QLD Gov is keen to get RPL done to get people into workforce.

They will probably suggest you see the people listed at the bottom of this page http://www.csq.org.au/index.php?opti...=40&Itemid=787

I would still see Skilling Solutions as hopefully they will take you under their wing.

Don't forget "fair go, mate".

Ian
Old May 20th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Hope everything works out for you. Can he not get employed at something else in the meantime whilst you are battling through this if only to halt the drain on your finances?

I know this is not what you came to Australia for and as a fellow tradesman it is a slur on your years of experience and indeed your apprenticeship not to mention your pride, however, I am not in Australia yet myself but if the same thing happens to me then I will attempt to do something else until things sort themselves out. Red tape in my opinion is always 'keeping someone in a job' and a 'money making scam' with folk like us always having to 'Pay the Piper'!

Keep going, you will get there, don't let it beat you!
Old May 25th 2009, 6:18 am
aka DORIS

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Kaye

These are the people you need to talk to http://www.skillingsolutions.qld.gov.au/

Make an appointment to see a consultant.

QLD Gov is keen to get RPL done to get people into workforce.

They will probably suggest you see the people listed at the bottom of this page http://www.csq.org.au/index.php?opti...=40&Itemid=787

I would still see Skilling Solutions as hopefully they will take you under their wing.

Don't forget "fair go, mate".

Ian
Hi Ian we have spoken to them and they have done everything to help us, but they are unable to help plumbers or electricians they say as it is out of their realm of knowledge.

They have however put us onto RPL in boilermaking but it appears there are many others waiting on this and we are facing a backlog from October.

thanks

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Hope everything works out for you. Can he not get employed at something else in the meantime whilst you are battling through this if only to halt the drain on your finances?

I know this is not what you came to Australia for and as a fellow tradesman it is a slur on your years of experience and indeed your apprenticeship not to mention your pride, however, I am not in Australia yet myself but if the same thing happens to me then I will attempt to do something else until things sort themselves out. Red tape in my opinion is always 'keeping someone in a job' and a 'money making scam' with folk like us always having to 'Pay the Piper'!

Keep going, you will get there, don't let it beat you!
Believe me we have tried anything and everywhere it seems we may not be the only ones applying

My husband is feeling pretty much useless at the minute and the confidence is slowly being knocked out of him

Turns out following another conversation I had with the plumbers board on Friday that since Feb we have consistently been misinformed and that all along they could have given a provisional license to hubby for his type of plumbing and that the incompetant, stupid woman who told him he couldn't was wrong.

Our finances now though dictate that if we were to stay and wait for him to be fully licensed now it would be financial suicide...we are not so sure we have the fight left to do this.

thanks everyone
Old May 25th 2009, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

pommy will become famous soon enoughpommy will become famous soon enough

Your problem sums up qld you have to have a licence to fart herePlumbers from the uk are far better skilled you only have to look at the state of the work here this whole place is held together with red tape. i hope it all works out for you good luck
Old May 25th 2009, 11:43 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

I have friends here that are going through the same thing. Only difference is he is a overhead power linesman.
A company in Canbera promised him everything once he got here. After arriving the company had no idea what he had to do to get his licence and after months of pulling hair out he is now back at tafe doing cert 3! His boss has looked at his qualifications and he is far more experienced and qualified than any other guy in the company! Bit of a joke isnt it.
Feel very sorry for you and can only hope things come good for you.

Stu
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Kaye, really sorry to be reading this!
Any change in your fortunes?
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

I hope your fortunes change. As said in a previous post - is there anything else he can do to tide you over? Window cleaning? postman?
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:54 am
Just Joined

mobilephone is an unknown quantity at this point

So sorry to hear the problems your facing mate. How is things going for you now? Have you found the light at the end of the long dark tunnel?
Have you met some one in the same trade who has given you help and advice?
I am still in the Uk and now so worried that this is round the corner. Good luck mate . Not sure what stage your out now. Have you managed to get a job?
Old Aug 29th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

I Have a loop hole that might work for you, but its not going to be cheap for you.

North Sydney Tafe do RPL plumbing, if u do 4-5 days a week you should be able to knock it out in about 3 months. (as long as you have done plumbing in the uk)

It's a national exam qualification you get, so you could then use it in Queensland, It covers Plumbing, Metal Roofing, Drainage, Gas etc.
---

So options if you want to get on in plumbing, (via my idea) either you all move to NSW, or you move down for 3 months or how ever long it takes you.
Rent a crap room live on beans etc.

You dont need to live in sydney, as you get a student rail card, so can travel there half price on train from somewhere cheaper to live, weekly ticket from about an hour away is about $24.

if you deside to try the NSW path, i have most of the books you need to buy in pdf. and a lot of the student notes in pdf, you could read these up b4 u go.

But if your doing RPL you can start any week day, its a case of turn up and get started.

they interview you to see what you have and have not done, then get you to do what you have not done, mostly mech services, metal roofing and drainage, lpg, everything else they skim over.

If you really really want to stay and nothing else is working for you try this.
If you tempted Phone Pete Miles of Nort Sydney Tafe, he is the head teacher and in charge of RPL there. if you want his mobile number PM me or just phone the Tafe and ask to speak to him.

Tell him you moving to NSW from Queensland (dont say for 3 months) can you start the RPL for Cert 3, you can sound him out on the phone, he starts at 07.30 - 16.30 Breaks 9.00-9.30 12.00 -1300 I'd prob phone about 14:00 - 15:00

James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.