Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private or medicare who knows

Private or medicare who knows

Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:26 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about
Default Private or medicare who knows

Hi guys

Since being in Australia for the the past 16 months(NSW) i have often asked many people about the cost of healthcare and what is covered by Medicare and what is not.

People who have private medical insurance say its a must, but people who don't say you don't need it.

When you give them a for instance you never get the same answers, so i was wandering if anyone out there can answer these examples.

1. If you fell down in the street and broke your leg and someone called an ambulance do you have to pay for the ambulance or is it covered by Medicare and how much would this cost?

2. If you have a more serious accident and you have to be transported by helicopter and you don't have private medical insurance who pays the cost?

3. If you have a road accident and you only have third party insurance who pays for your medical expenses and are you covered by Medicare?

4. Do you have a limit on how much Medicare you can have in one year?

5. If you start your treatment privately and relize that the gap is too much can you revert back to Medicare.

6. Is there a private medical insurance policy that covers everything including gaps?

7. If you have private insurance can you still use Medicare?

Thanks guys

Debbie jo
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:14 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Private or medicare who knows

Originally posted by Debbie Jo
2. If you have a more serious accident and you have to be transported by helicopter and you don't have private medical insurance who pays the cost?

5. If you start your treatment privately and relize that the gap is too much can you revert back to Medicare.

I'll answer these bits as they relate to me.
No 2: That happened to me, and it didn't cost a thing.

No 5: I had private cover (at that time) but didn't tell them, and I was looked after by Medicare. If they had know about it, I am sure I would have had to pay for the GAP.

No 7: If I had told them, then I would have had to pay the GAP.

others:
No 6: I "THINK" the gap is covered these days.

No 1: This may depend on The state. In QLD it is now covered by payments charged to everyones electric bills ! Yes..

No 3: I am pretty sure thats covered by Medicare.

No 4: No Limit as far as I am aware of.

Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

1. If you fell down in the street and broke your leg and someone called an ambulance do you have to pay for the ambulance or is it covered by Medicare and how much would this cost?

3. If you have a road accident and you only have third party insurance who pays for your medical expenses and are you covered by Medicare?

6. Is there a private medical insurance policy that covers everything including gaps?

I think I can answer a few of them!
1. Not sure about this one - I always thought you had to pay for the ambulance if you dont have private cover, but maybe it depends on your financial situation.
2. No idea
3. Covered by Medicare
4. No
5. No. Would be a good way of queue-jumping if it was possible!
6. Yes, I think some health funds will cover gaps
7. Yes.

You can be financially better off by having private health cover. If you earn over a certain amount per annum (can't remember the exact figure), you're stung for an extra 1% Medicare levy UNLESS you have private hospital insurance. You can get a basic hospital cover from most funds that is less than that mystery amount so you're better off having it.

Also, it costs more to join a health fund the older you are. So to avoid having to pay mammoth premiums if you decide to join when you're old and sick, you might be better off getting it now.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:49 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Only know 1 answer I think.

Question 1 (if in QLD)

You pay for your ambulance cover through one of the bills (cant remember which one).

So 1 less to worry over as long as you move to QLD. Dont know about the other states.

TT

Hi guys

Since being in Australia for the the past 16 months(NSW) i have often asked many people about the cost of healthcare and what is covered by Medicare and what is not.

People who have private medical insurance say its a must, but people who don't say you don't need it.

When you give them a for instance you never get the same answers, so i was wandering if anyone out there can answer these examples.

Thanks guys

Debbie jo
Old Feb 11th 2004, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy ambulance cover in Vic. It cost us $95 for a family for a year; half that for a single.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 7:01 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

[i].

I hope i can be of some assistance. This applies to Victoria being as that is where i am from. I have had medicare cover all my life but know that if i had the money i would go private. Aussies are very relaxed and have an 'it won't happen to me attitute' with regards to health. I would get private.

With response to your questions i will try and answer as best i can.

1. Yes you would have to pay the ambulance if you didn't have cover. Medicare DOES not cover your costs. You have to take out seperate ambulance cover.

2. Again if you have ambulance cover you won't have to pay but if you don't well they will sting you for the costs. Medicare does not pay!

3. WIth regards to a road accident, if you are insured then insurance will pay. If like you say you are only third party the TAC, traffic Accident Cooporation will pay towards your medical expenses. That is why we pay so much road tax!

4. There isn't a limit to medicare, but certain things you will have to pay contributions towards and they will only pay half, or you pay initally and then you visit their office and get the money back.

5. By paying your premiums for private you should be covered but again it depends on your policy. That is always what it comes down to, how much you are prepared to pay for the level of cover you want, but i am pretty sure that you can go back to medicare but knowing the ozzie government it would be at a cost, but not too sure.

6. There is always a policy that will cover you for so much but it will NOT be cheap. Like i said above it depends on how much you are willing to pay.

7. There is no need to use medicare once you have private health cover they will cover you for GP's visits, but check the cover as to what is included.

I hope this has helped you, with regards to your questions but do do your homework and read policy's carefully and check where you are covered as dental isn't always covered.

Kate
Old Feb 13th 2004, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Depends which state you are in as ambulances are run by the states. In QLD you pay $75 (about) per year on your Electricty bill which covers you for ambulances.

As far as I know if it's an accident in any state you won't have to pay for the helicopter as they are provided by donations and sponsorship.

To the best of my knowledge any accident you will recieve immediate treatment and not be billed, but if you have medical insurance they might put you in a private hospital rather than a public hospital. Assumeing it's not life threatening and you are capable of discussing it.

No limit

?????

Yes but you will pay an arm and a leg for it. money talks.

Private medical insurance will only pay the gap, so you will still have to claim from Medicare everything covered by Medicare.

Thanks guys

Debbie jo [/QUOTE]

Basically private medical insurance isn't designed for accidents, this is covered by the public hospital system. What private medical insurance is for is for ailments, hip replacements, non urgent surgery that medicare would put you on a waiting list for.

I've NOT got private medical insurance but when I get ill I just pay the bills and claim the Medicare part back from Medicare. Depends how healthy you are wether it's worth it or not. For me it's def not worth it.