Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

7 Grand Grant for First Time Buyers

7 Grand Grant for First Time Buyers

Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 7 Grand Grant for First Time Buyers

Does anyone know if first time buyers still get the 7 grand grant from the government when purchasing your first home in Oz?

Cheers

Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Grand Grant for First Time Buyers

Originally posted by Natbat
Does anyone know if first time buyers still get the 7 grand grant from the government when purchasing your first home in Oz?

Cheers

I had heard that this was to be withdrawn as it was not really intended for migrants in the first place.
Can't remember where I read it though.

Someone else will probably know better.

G
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:28 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I am aware you do.

I was only on a real estate website the other day (either lj hooker or ray white) and there was an article on their webpage. If you have a look there were links to the application forms for each state.

TOB

Cheers

Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TOB
As far as I am aware you do.

I was only on a real estate website the other day (either lj hooker or ray white) and there was an article on their webpage. If you have a look there were links to the application forms for each state.

TOB
Oh good, was hoping they still did it.

Lets hope by the time I get ove (in June) that we can apply for one and hope to match it too!

Cheers
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

link for WA

http://www.dtf.wa.gov.au/cms/osr_content.asp?ID=344
Old Feb 12th 2004, 4:20 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally posted by Swifts
link for WA

http://www.dtf.wa.gov.au/cms/osr_content.asp?ID=344

Useful little link Ta....
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly still available in Queensland at present; not really aimed at migrants, its more to just enable to buy Aussies their first home and get a start on the ladder.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 11:11 pm
owieb

Cheers

Certainly is in WA; we put our application in last week for it.

Old Feb 12th 2004, 11:18 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Get in quick because I can't see it lasting much longer, at least not for new migrants.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

On the plus side, new migrants qualify for the $7000 first time homebuyers grant, but on the minus side, new migrants get stung for the “Lifetime Health Cover� charge.

The LHC is an additional charge on your premiums that you pay to your private health company based solely on your age that you started the cover. 2% each year after the age 30 i.e.

Age 30 - 2%
Age 31 - 4%
Age 32 - 6%
Age 33 - 8%
Age 34 - 10%
Age 35 - 12%
Age 36 - 14%
Age 37 - 16%
Age 38 - 18%
Etc

Some you win, some you lose.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Cheers

yes it's still available. You can only apply for it if you have PR or you are a citizen.

They have tightened up their checks recently.. I remember Kiwipaul (I think)saying his friend got one and he was not PR or citizen, doubt if he could do this now. I recently put in my application for 10 thou (I'm entitled to the extra 3 thou as I signed contracts before the cut off date) , filled out the forms, followed the instructions of what to send with my application, and sent them off. I received them back in the mail asking for a photocopy of my PR or citizenship (which was not in the instructions) - so they're double checking people now, probably due to the high amount of people who claimed it and were not eligible for it.

There is talk of it becoming means tested in the future, but for now, yes it's still available for all PR's and citizens.
I wouldn't get too excited about it though - you'll find that taxes and stamp duty eat up that grant (that's what it was there for in the first place - to help with the GST)

cheers
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:08 am
owieb

Originally posted by Ceri
I received them back in the mail asking for a photocopy of my PR or citizenship (which was not in the instructions) -
Interesting you say that Ceri, we've just received a letter back yesterday asking for the same thing. What's annoying is I lodged my application in person and the girl behind the counter sighted everything and took photocopies of what was required. Passport, contract etc, but not a copy of the visa as it wasn't required, they only had to see it and fill in the details on the form.

Like you say they must be double-checking everything.

Last edited by owieb; Feb 13th 2004 at 12:13 am.

Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Still available although they tightened up recently - one of the changes is you now have to live in the property for a period of time (to stop non-first time buyers from cheating the system e.g. claiming the grant in their Childs name).

I enquired about when they pay it out and was told you still receive the money once you have exchanged contracts (or whatever it's called here) but have to pay it back if you do not reside in it for at least 6 months.

They would have to find me first

Last edited by Thomaz; Feb 13th 2004 at 12:17 am.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dracupg
On the plus side, new migrants qualify for the $7000 first time homebuyers grant, but on the minus side, new migrants get stung for the “Lifetime Health Cover� charge.

The LHC is an additional charge on your premiums that you pay to your private health company based solely on your age that you started the cover. 2% each year after the age 30 i.e.

Age 30 - 2%
Age 31 - 4%
Age 32 - 6%
Age 33 - 8%
Age 34 - 10%
Age 35 - 12%
Age 36 - 14%
Age 37 - 16%
Age 38 - 18%
Etc

Some you win, some you lose.

Excellent point.

It's a good idea go get your private health cover as soon as you can.

I was told when applying for private health that the 2% a year loading was being challenged legally when applied to new migrants. I don't know if there has been any progress or result.

OK, just looked it up here:

http://www.health.gov.au/privateheal...ers/affect.htm

"The Minister recently announced a number of reforms to private health that include changes to Lifetime Health Cover. The Government is aware that some migrants have, until now been liable for the additional premiums required by Lifetime Health Cover. This will no longer be the case and in the future new migrants will have twelve months from the day they become eligible for Medicare in which to purchase private health insurance without incurring the Lifetime Health Cover loadings.

These changes are subject to the passage of legislation."

I wonder if we'll get a rebate?

Last edited by renth; Feb 13th 2004 at 12:22 am.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:28 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by owieb
Interesting you say that Ceri, we've just received a letter back yesterday asking for the same thing. What's annoying is I lodged my application in person and the girl behind the counter sighted everything and took photocopies of what was required. Passport, contract etc, but not a copy of the visa as it wasn't required, they only had to see it and fill in the details on the form.

Like you say they must be double-checking everything.
So it isn't just me then. Myself and hubby sat down with the forms went carefully through them to the letter . We sent originals of everything .. but the tax office returned them saying we need a copy of your PR/Citizenship - checked through the forms and nowhere does it say that you need to do this. Yes they are definitely being thorough these days. Probably due to the high amount of scammers

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.