Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Car for Company Use

Private Car for Company Use

Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:00 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Private Car for Company Use

Does anyone else do this?
Back in the UK, I got a fixed amount of money per mile when using my own car for Company use. About 30% more than petrol alone as it included depreciation caused by "busness" use, insurance, tax. etc. The rate was determined on engine size and affixed to the rate approved by the tax office.

Does such a rate table exist in Australia (QLD)?

Andrew
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:13 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Private Car for Company Use

Originally Posted by andrew63
Back in the UK, I got a fixed amount of money per mile when using my own car for Company use. About 30% more than petrol alone as it included depreciation caused by "busness" use, insurance, tax. etc. The rate was determined on engine size and affixed to the rate approved by the tax office.

Andrew
2003-2004 ATO rates are:

Engine capacity - Cents per kilometre

1600cc (1.6 litre) or less 51c per business kilometre
1601cc-2600cc 61c per business kilometre
2601cc (2.601 litre) and over 62c per business kilometre

These are rates that the ATO allow you to claim when claiming tax deductions, and have no relation to the amount an employer may pay, but can be used as a guide.

Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:13 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Andrew

We have a new manager who's just joined us, he is using his private car but getting a subsidy on it for company use.
I know he went to an accountant to work everything out, but from what he has just said there were four different methods that you can claim on, and it is up to you to find the best way. I know its obvious, but have you checked the ato website??
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Doing tax today, have this right here re the 4 methods are.

Log book

12% of market value

One third of car expenses

Set rate/Business KM

I just give all log books to acct and he sorts out best method to use for each person.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:28 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all!

Erick, do you have link for that? I couldn't find anything like that on the ATO site.

ANdrew
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:42 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thanks all!

Erick, do you have link for that? I couldn't find anything like that on the ATO site.

ANdrew

Not sure if its where ABC got his info from, but is this one any good?
ATO
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:45 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks all!

ANdrew
When you spend as much time with the ATO as I have, you get to know where to look

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...20#001_002_013 then select car expenses

Hope that gets you there, but if not:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/
then select:
What you can claim
Deductions list

then:
Work related expenses
Car expenses

Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:48 am
I don't re Member

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When you spend as much time with the ATO as I have, you get to know where to look

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...20#001_002_013 then select car expenses

Hope that gets you there, but if not:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/
then select:
What you can claim
Deductions list

then:
Work related expenses
Car expenses
Thanks for that.
I note that this is for claiming from the Tax Office.
So in Australia an employee claims the mileage from the tax office as part of his/her tax return rather than from their employer? Is that correct?

Andrew
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:22 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks for that.
I note that this is for claiming from the Tax Office.
So in Australia an employee claims the mileage from the tax office as part of his/her tax return rather than from their employer? Is that correct?

Andrew
Not really.

What normally happens is that the employer pays whatever figure is agreed upon, between employer and emloyee, or the union.

The employee then declares that as income in their Tax Return, but offsets the ATO prescribed figures as a Tax Deduction.

Therefore if the employer pays the same rate as the ATO allows, then it balances out tax wise.

If the employer pays nothing, then the employee at least gets back a % of the ATO figure, based on the Tax Bracket they are on.

If the employer pays more than the ATO rate, then the employee has more tax to pay

Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:46 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not really.

What normally happens is that the employer pays whatever figure is agreed upon, between employer and emloyee, or the union.
I do the office management before its processed by accounts, and on our new guys contract it states $salary + $super + $agreed car subsidy = total to Manager; which would be what you're saying I think.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:10 am
ABCDiamond

You could do what I did.

Just tell them to give you a decent car and an unlimited Motorpass fuel card