Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are your beaches so Empty?

Why are your beaches so Empty?

Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road
Default Why are your beaches so Empty?

Hi, ok, ive done loads of research the last 12 months, andi know everything there is to know about Oz, I even know when your PM has a poo. Well, we all know when Paula Radcliffe has hers now

Anyway to my question, everytime i see a photo of someones holiday or Reccie to Perth, theres always the statutory beach shot, lovely golden sands, warm sunshine, beautiful sea, but NO PEOPLE

Where are they all? is it because

1. You have so many miles of sandy beaches, theres so much to go around.
2. you have a huge pollution problem and the sea coastline is full of Paula Radcliffes "Time Out" deposits :scared:
3. You have shark and crab infested waters
4. Auzzies are not impressed by beaches and nice weather anymore, so they just dont bother
5. Or maybe because its not a safe place to be and full of Hoons!

I seriously doubt its the last 4, and sorry its such a crap thread, but its been niggling me. See im a beach bum, and youl see me running down the beach in a wetsuit (ok i know i dont need them in Auz) which is clearly two sizes too small, carrying a very flimsy body board which will under no circumstances hold my whale like figure, but hey, us Brits like to impress
Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why are your beaches so Empty?

Originally Posted by tonyclark
Hi, ok, ive done loads of research the last 12 months, andi know everything there is to know about Oz, I even know when your PM has a poo. Well, we all know when Paula Radcliffe has hers now

Anyway to my question, everytime i see a photo of someones holiday or Reccie to Perth, theres always the statutory beach shot, lovely golden sands, warm sunshine, beautiful sea, but NO PEOPLE

2. you have a huge pollution problem and the sea coastline is full of Paula Radcliffes "Time Out" deposits :scared:
4. Auzzies are not impressed by beaches and nice weather anymore, so they just dont bother

I seriously doubt its the last 4, and sorry its such a crap thread, but its been niggling me. See im a beach bum, and youl see me running down the beach in a wetsuit (ok i know i dont need them in Auz) which is clearly two sizes too small, carrying a very flimsy body board which will under no circumstances hold my whale like figure, but hey, us Brits like to impress
maybe it's safety in numbers. If you're the only person swimming off a beach, the sharks can see you better........
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:01 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Simple Low population and endless beaches.
It doesn't get any better than that
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Simple Low population and endless beaches.
It doesn't get any better than that
You get the same if you go to the beach in north norfolk (wells, brancaster etc), much nicer than busy horrible places like Great Yarmouth (chavsville of east anglia)
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Last year in Perth august time we were at the beach nice sunny day great...nearly all to our selves...10 people at the most...at whitfords later on and talking to a girl in the shop...told her where we had been...she looked in horror and said we dont go to the beach until it hits 30 uptil then its cold..... still good enough for me
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Last year in Perth august time we were at the beach nice sunny day great...nearly all to our selves...10 people at the most...at whitfords later on and talking to a girl in the shop...told her where we had been...she looked in horror and said we dont go to the beach until it hits 30 uptil then its cold..... still good enough for me
me too, once it hits 16oC were off in droves with our handkerchiefs on our heads
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:05 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Sharks could be hungry?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
You get the same if you go to the beach in north norfolk (wells, brancaster etc), much nicer than busy horrible places like Great Yarmouth (chavsville of east anglia)

Agree with you about nice Norfolk beaches being sparcely occupied - although the seemingly single figure year round temps could also be a contributing factor there brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

We took a short break hol to Great Yarmouth last year and, yep, it should be renamed 'Chavsville-on-Sea'! We felt very out of place on the beach with no unusually placed piercings or tattoos!!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:27 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget sharks, spiders, snakes etc. The Ocean takes hundreds of people every year. Nearly all go missing outside the red and yellow flags the lifesavers put up to mark a watched safer sandbank. The ocean waves develop viscious rips which drag the swimmer out to sea. Those that fight the rip get exhausted and drift away to drown.

SWIM BETWEEN THE FLAGS
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bondipom
Forget sharks, spiders, snakes etc. The Ocean takes hundreds of people every year. Nearly all go missing outside the red and yellow flags the lifesavers put up to mark a watched safer sandbank. The ocean waves develop viscious rips which drag the swimmer out to sea. Those that fight the rip get exhausted and drift away to drown.

SWIM BETWEEN THE FLAGS
Guess i never thought of rip tides, i dont even know what they are, i always assume that any strong swimmer can swim agianst a current, guess im used to small cornish beaches which are too cold to swim out further than the raft. cheers Tony
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:06 pm

Guess i never thought of rip tides, i dont even know what they are, i always assume that any strong swimmer can swim agianst a current, guess im used to small cornish beaches which are too cold to swim out further than the raft. cheers Tony
You swim across the current but never swim against the current. Not even the strongest swimmer can swim against a rip. Eventually you will come free from the rip but then you may have to swim back in with large waves behind you. I have helped rescue one boogie boarder who got tired in large surf. Another 8 people were being rescued by the surf lifesavers. I put him on the surf board and paddled in a bit until the surf rescue could get back out.

The bigger the wave the bigger the rip but even a small amount of wind chop can generate a current.

http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/overview.shtml
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:07 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

This help?:

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:10 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by bondipom

SWIM BETWEEN THE FLAGS
Bondi's right,In OZ around 2 or 3 people are killed by sharks each year in the ocean compared to 500 people drowning in it, wheres the real danger.

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by aussie73
Bondi's right,In OZ around 2 or 3 people are killed by sharks each year in the ocean compared to 500 people drowning in it, wheres the real danger.
So tempting on a hot day to take a quick dip in the Ocean.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:19 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

http://www.royallifesaving.com.au/ne...O1c=11&O10c=11

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.