Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Prison Officer looking to join Prison/Corrections in Australia

Prison Officer looking to join Prison/Corrections in Australia

Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

TopDog1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prison Officer looking to join Prison/Corrections in Australia

Hi there I was wondering if anyone could give me advice?

I currently work for the Scottish Prison Service, a role that i thoroughly enjoy, however I am hoping at some point in the future to relocate to Australia and work within the Prison Service there.

Does anyone know how I would go about this? Or if there are available opportunities to apply through a form of exchange programme?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prison Officer looking to join Prison/Corrections in Australia

Originally Posted by TopDog1979

I currently work for the Scottish Prison Service, a role that i thoroughly enjoy, however I am hoping at some point in the future to relocate to Australia and work within the Prison Service there.

Does anyone know how I would go about this? Or if there are available opportunities to apply through a form of exchange programme?

Thanks
I thought you were interested in Canada/New Zealand/USA

Do you have a visa to live and work in any of those countries? Have you checked whether you're eligible for a visa to any of those countries? For Australia look at www.immi.gov.au and do the visa wizard.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopDog1979

Thanks
The only State currently sponsoring is ACT according to a recent thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787424

Have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/ to see if you qualify for a visa if you can get sponsorship.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 9:29 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i want to work in prisons.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:55 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
i want to work in prisons.
All you need to do is commit a crime and you can......

(Apologies to the OP, it was too hard to resist.)
Old Mar 9th 2013, 10:31 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

It is very difficult to get a sponsorship for the prison service in Australia. However, periodically various states put on a massive recruitment drive for correctional officers. The fact you are an existing prison officer weighs the cards heavily in your favour. You would also need a permanent residency visa.

The pay and conditions are far better than the UK. You may wish to google for prison jobs in Australia. Some of them are advertised in government websites. You may also wish to contact the various State Correctional Service Departments directly.

Even though you are an experienced prison officer you would have to start from scratch again. This would mean attending a 12 week correctional services academy to undergo training. You would have to pass the various exams, fitness and firearms training. Academies have several courses running throughout the year depending on their recruitment strategy.

The big issue in Queensland amongst correctional services is to what extent Newman as part of his austerity drive, privatises the prisons. The offshoot of that is a more dangerous working environment as fewer officers are employed, and more deaths in custody as has been seen at the Aurthur Gorrie Remand Centre in Brisbane which is privately run. The rehabilitation process is also cut back for criminals which presents a greater threat to the community.

Personally I would be very surprised if you did not get a job in the correction service within 12 months of arriving in Australia.