Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Printing industry, help please

Printing industry, help please

Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:31 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all
Default Printing industry, help please

Hi everyone
My youngest sister is giving serious thought to emigrating after us (Yipeeee), her husband works in the printing trade, can anyone point us in the right direction to start our research re earnings, employment etc

Any help at all would be really appreciated.

Carole
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Latona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud of
Default Re: Printing industry, help please

[hi
what part of the printing industry is your brother in law in?
my husband is a print engineer but he can only go out as a general mechanical engineer.

Denise peter and family
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:49 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Latona
[hi
what part of the printing industry is your brother in law in?
my husband is a print engineer but he can only go out as a general mechanical engineer.

Denise peter and family
Hi Denise
He deals with the end process, like binding, gluing, stitching and guillotine, folding etc
Any pointers on where to start our research
A hopeful Carole & little sis
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Latona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud of

hi
we went to oz last year on a reccie, went to Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.
while we were out there my husband contacted a few printers, but a lot of the work was contracted out?
we have looked on job web sites and finishers and binders seem to come up.
hope this helps.
Denise peter and family
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:54 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Originally Posted by Latona
hi
we went to oz last year on a reccie, went to Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.
while we were out there my husband contacted a few printers, but a lot of the work was contracted out?
we have looked on job web sites and finishers and binders seem to come up.
hope this helps.
Denise peter and family
Thankyou Denise, Karma sent your way
Carole
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:27 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Bump

Anyone else ?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:17 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wickedsid
Bump

Anyone else ?
This type of job will be TRA so check out the website for the required qualifications training etc.

Sorry for stating the obvious but Money and Work availability can depend on the type of work, eg book, magazine, newspaper etc skills that he has and what experience of large plant or small kwik print places. My husband is a printer with 20 years top level book/newspaper and colour magazine experience and it took him 2 years to get a job here in Sydney in his trade.

Mind you had we gone to Bendigo he would have walked into a job straight away because of connections. It can be a very unionised industry here with closed shops operating.

I have not got the link (am at work) but you need to look up the award rates for this industry as most places follow them closely. It can be a very well paid job if you work the shifts and days that pay the extra rates (called penalty rates here).

I will ask hubby tonight about the Union side of things it might be worth finding out that side of things.

I am so jealous that your sister is considering coming over. Mine made fleeting comments but has not settled back down in the UK and I miss her like crazy. Best of Luck
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:01 am
C&V
Sydneysider

C&V is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband was assessed and qualified as a Screen Printer for the TRA skills assessment. He has worked as a screen printer, print finisher and production manager over the years.

He successfully found work through a recruitment company pretty soon after we arrived here in Sydney. The recruitment company is called Exact. http://www.exact.com.au - might be worth him contacting them. There seems to be a fair few ads for printers/finishers on www.seek.com.au too.

Good luck
C&V
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:12 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

My Lecturer at TAFE said that the printing industry in Perth is in decline, as most places (and jobs) have gone over east. So definitely look at Sydney etc first. The only really big place left in Perth is Lamb.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
My Lecturer at TAFE said that the printing industry in Perth is in decline, as most places (and jobs) have gone over east. So definitely look at Sydney etc first. The only really big place left in Perth is Lamb.
Ha, Pascal's company used Lamb!
But they were to annoying, so they're now with another one just round there, that you can also see from the Graham Farmer fwy. Can't think of the name!
And they're also quite annoying he says, but it'll do.

I would assume The West still prints it's own newspapers? And the Community newspapers?