Prescriptions

Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Jes48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prescriptions

I am hoping to come over firstly on temp visa 457 (wifes) then get permanent.
I take a few medications following heart attack in 2003. Am fine now with no problems but do have to take a few drugs.. I am a bit confused how prescriptions are paid. Will I have to pay full price for my drugs (am on four) or will I be able to get them reduced.
Am I right in saying medicare does not cover prescriptions (temp or Perm visa)
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Prescriptions

Originally Posted by Jes48
I am hoping to come over firstly on temp visa 457 (wifes) then get permanent.
I take a few medications following heart attack in 2003. Am fine now with no problems but do have to take a few drugs.. I am a bit confused how prescriptions are paid. Will I have to pay full price for my drugs (am on four) or will I be able to get them reduced.
Am I right in saying medicare does not cover prescriptions (temp or Perm visa)
It depends what you're on...

The system that deals with subsidised prescriptions is the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) - it is a branch of Medicare.

Assuming you're a UK resident you are eligible for the Medicare reciprocal healthcare agreement (RHCA) which gives limited cover as a temp resident and will give you access to the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) in much the same way as PRs and citizens (with a few exceptions).

Many medications are listed on the PBS but not all.

Currently, if they are PBS listed, you will generally pay a maximum of approx $31 per item (generally for 28 days supply for long term medications - but sometimes longer/shorter). There are a handful of medications which will cost a maximum of slightly more than this (I won't go into the intricacies of why!). If the medication costs less than the maximum then you will pay less - so it's a bit dfferent to the standard NHS charge.

However, not all medications are listed on the PBS and MANY medications are listed on the PBS only for certain specific conditions and in certain situations, even though they may be commonly used for other conditions.
So, if you are on something that's not PBS listed (either not listed at all, or not listed for your particular circumstances) then you will have to pay full price for it.

Of course, if you are not eligible for the Medicare RHCA you will need to pay full price for all of your medication.

I hope that helps.

Madhu
Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

You can search here http://www.pbs.gov.au/html/consumer/home to see if your medication is listed on the PBS.

Leigh
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

ripcantrell will become famous soon enough

I am hoping to get a PR visa and should qualify for Medicare once I start working. If this is the case will we be entitled to free or subsidised prescriptions. I ask because I have a son who is 13 and uses an inhaler, are children under the age of 16 entitled to free prescriptions as in the UK if they are on PR visa or are they subsidised??
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Worth checking on the PBS site whether meds are available here. One of my sons drugs which is available in Europe and USA is not here in OZ. We have had a right pain getting it.

We are on 457 (from UK) and so use medicare agreement and prescriptions are around $31.
Ive had no problems using UK medicare agreement for prescriptions, hospital consultant visits local and city, A&E, GP visits, hospital tests.

No kids dont get free prescriptions.We still pay the $31 each prescription.

However there is further reductions you can apply for if on PR visa. Not sure of details. Think once you have spent maximum per year you can get reduced meds for the remainder of that year.

Gems
Old Apr 8th 2008, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default One tab or two??

Hi there

I also take several medications following a STEMI.

It is true that meds on the whole cost about $31 per med per month but..........if you shop around, in Queensland we have a Giant Chemist chain, then the prices are reduced, other pharmacies will then match that price provided you supply the original receipt.

My meds should cost $120 per month, I get them for $72 per month, a significant saving, shame in NZ they used to cost $8 for 3 months supply.

Also be prepared for small variations on the dosage of your meds as suppliers, for some strange reason, provide the same med but at different strengths.

Finally, unless there is a particular reason, always chose the generic brand.......after all......what's in a name??
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:06 am
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all
Default Re: One tab or two??

Hi there

So in Oz is there such a thing a a prepayment card for prescriptions? i.e. in the UK you can pay approx £100pa for which your prescriptions are then free.

This is great for us as my wife has 5 different prescriptions per month, so this could work out pretty costly in Oz by the sounds of it.

What about health insurance policies do these cover prescriptions? I'm assuming not.

Cheers

Allan
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: One tab or two??

No prepayment certificate here but there is a safety net. Once a family has spent a certain amount on PBS prescriptions in a year ($1141.80 this year - it goes up a little every year) you then get concession prescriptions for the rest of the year. Concession prescriptions are $5 each at the current time.

Not all medications are available on PBS.
If they are you will pay the maximum fee of $31.30 (there are a handful of exceptions where you will be asked to pay a bit more)
If they cost less than $31.30 you will pay less.
So it's a completely different system to the UK.

Some medications are not PBS listed - you will pay for the FULL cost of the medication in this situation with no subsidy available even if it costs more than $31.30. These private prescriptions also do not count towards the PBS safety net.

Some private health insurance policies will cover some of the cost of some prescriptions.

Madhu

Originally Posted by allankate
Hi there

So in Oz is there such a thing a a prepayment card for prescriptions? i.e. in the UK you can pay approx £100pa for which your prescriptions are then free.

This is great for us as my wife has 5 different prescriptions per month, so this could work out pretty costly in Oz by the sounds of it.

What about health insurance policies do these cover prescriptions? I'm assuming not.

Cheers

Allan
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:17 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ripcantrell
I am hoping to get a PR visa and should qualify for Medicare once I start working. If this is the case will we be entitled to free or subsidised prescriptions. I ask because I have a son who is 13 and uses an inhaler, are children under the age of 16 entitled to free prescriptions as in the UK if they are on PR visa or are they subsidised??
If he's on Ventolin, its OTC here, not prescription (weel WA anyway -each state may or may not be different!)
Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

ripcantrell will become famous soon enough

If ventolin is OTC how much does this cost per cartridge?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ripcantrell
If ventolin is OTC how much does this cost per cartridge?
Not sure to be honest - only know that as just done my first aid course and it was discussed there. From what I recall it wasnt alarming.