Prescriptions

Old Feb 6th 2005, 10:17 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future
Default Prescriptions

Hi all,

Anyone out there help with the cost of prescriptions in Oz? Is it more expensive than the UK? Is there a system via Medicare?

Thanks

Paul
Old Feb 6th 2005, 10:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Prescriptions

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Hi all,

Anyone out there help with the cost of prescriptions in Oz? Is it more expensive than the UK? Is there a system via Medicare?

Thanks

Paul
Here is a link with some info on the Medicare Safety Net, used after you have spent a certain amount on Prescriptions to then keep costs down for the rest of that year.
http://www1.health.gov.au/pbs/contents/explain5.htm

Basically it says:
The general patient safety net threshold is currently $726.80. When patients and/or their families reach this amount, they can apply for a Safety Net Concession Card and pay only $3.80 per prescription for the rest of the calendar year.
However it is out of date,. the figures are now:
The levels for 2005 are:

General Patients: $874.90*- a safety net card will be issued allowing NHS prescriptions to be charged at $4.60* each for the rest of the calendar year

I think they are more expensive than in the UK, and there are no specific concessions for children.

This link can show some example prices: http://www.epharmacy.com.au/prescriptions.asp

Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:02 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly I have just come back from the chemist & I asked him why my new prescription cost more than the standard $23.80 max charge for PBS items (I thought it may have been non PBS). Apparently on the 1st Jan the maximum charge for PBS drugs went up $5 :scared: & is now at $28.60.

Now I know where the money is coming from for the baby bonus .
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:22 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Interestingly I have just come back from the chemist & I asked him why my new prescription cost more than the standard $23.80 max charge for PBS items (I thought it may have been non PBS). Apparently on the 1st Jan the maximum charge for PBS drugs went up $5 :scared: & is now at $28.60.

Now I know where the money is coming from for the baby bonus .

I picked up a script yesterday and saw that $28.60 and thought it a bit steep. Fortunately my (child's) script was only $18.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

I think it depends on what prescription you have. I've had a couple of different 'scripts' & they both varied in prices.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 2:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me - if I am given a prescription from a private clinic, rather than a doctor who I see through Medicare, does it cost the same? Or is it more expensive because the doctor is private?
Might sound like a stupid question, but I think I about to be put on longterm medication for my failing eyesight, and if it will be more expensive with private prescriptions, then I'll take the alternative route and sit in Outpatients for a few hours. The fear of going blind is bad enough, without the fear of being broke thrown in!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can anyone tell me - if I am given a prescription from a private clinic, rather than a doctor who I see through Medicare, does it cost the same? Or is it more expensive because the doctor is private?
Might sound like a stupid question, but I think I about to be put on longterm medication for my failing eyesight, and if it will be more expensive with private prescriptions, then I'll take the alternative route and sit in Outpatients for a few hours. The fear of going blind is bad enough, without the fear of being broke thrown in!
If it is medicine that is in the PBS list then it should be a standard prescription charge, no matter who prescribes it. But double check with the practitioner.

Private prescriptions can be issued by all GP's when the item isn't listed on the PBS schedule.

It is only the PBS listed prescriptions that are eligible for the Medicare Safety Net.

Old Feb 7th 2005, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

If you can bring a supply of medication over from the UK, then do so.

I pay $28.60 for ONE months supply of medication. On my recent trip to the UK, I ended up seeing the doctor, whom then realised I had left my medication in Perth. He wrote me out a 'script'

This cost me about 6 quid and he had prescribed 6 months worth of medication!!!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 7:47 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Our chemists always ask if we want the generic brands. These often work out cheaper. But on the whole a visit to the doctors always costs more here.