Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Prescription Fees?

Prescription Fees?

Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

thepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nice
Default Prescription Fees?

Hi,

Here in the UK i get prescription fee exemption as i am a diabetic with type 2 dibetes.

What is the story in Australia? I take 6 different tablets at day and it all would add up to around £40 a month if i had to pay. Just wondering if i will have to pay when we arrive in Aus?

Thanks

John
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:56 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescription Fees?

Originally Posted by thepomandozzy
Hi,

Here in the UK i get prescription fee exemption as i am a diabetic with type 2 dibetes.

What is the story in Australia? I take 6 different tablets at day and it all would add up to around £40 a month if i had to pay. Just wondering if i will have to pay when we arrive in Aus?

Thanks

John
The short answer is probably "yes". The whole Medicare system is almost incomprehensible - at least to me - but you pay the pharmacist for making up the prescription and if and when you reach a "safety net" you get reduced rates. The safety net is calculated so that almost no-one gets there! (Something like $800 pa I think.) Ask for generics anyway!

Perhaps someone with better info can put me right?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:13 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
The short answer is probably "yes". The whole Medicare system is almost incomprehensible - at least to me - but you pay the pharmacist for making up the prescription and if and when you reach a "safety net" you get reduced rates. The safety net is calculated so that almost no-one gets there! (Something like $800 pa I think.) Ask for generics anyway!

Perhaps someone with better info can put me right?
Hi

The "target figure" - as they neatly like to call it - is $960 pa at the moment. I understand that some of the more regularly-prescribed medicines ie Lipitor (for cholesterol reduction) do not have lower-priced generic alternatives. Now there's a surprise

Regards

Jim
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

how much for a standard prescription in Oz? I pay £6.40 for a nasel spray here in the uk.

Dave
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

there is not a fixed prescription charge as in UK. The drugs are subsidised,but not to the extent of UK.

You could try looking at Medicare website and looking at the Pharmaceutical Benefits System..
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

here's a good link to medicare website

The Welcome Kit is for new arrivals to Australia and has information about our main health programs, including Medicare.
http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...r_language.htm
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveh777
how much for a standard prescription in Oz? I pay £6.40 for a nasel spray here in the uk.

Dave
Dave,

I had to get some dental treatment when on holiday and got a prescription for antibiotics that cost AUD 12 (about £4.85). Don't know if that's the same price for all prescriptions

Ann
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:52 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

The "target figure" - as they neatly like to call it - is $960 pa at the moment. I understand that some of the more regularly-prescribed medicines ie Lipitor (for cholesterol reduction) do not have lower-priced generic alternatives. Now there's a surprise

Regards

Jim
OOOH! You *are* a cynic!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:56 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

Regards

Jim
And just to mke it simpler, if you fill a prescription and pay say $35, you get a little sticker to put into your 2006 "scrapbook" which will be for less than that - perhaps $31. When all your little stickers add up to Jim's "target figure" you get lower prices. Then you start again in 2007!