Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Prescription drugs $$$ ??

Prescription drugs $$$ ??

Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

fishyface is a jewel in the roughfishyface is a jewel in the roughfishyface is a jewel in the roughfishyface is a jewel in the roughfishyface is a jewel in the rough
Default Prescription drugs $$$ ??

Hello

Hope you can help.....I'm on prescription drugs long term......how does it work in Australia for the same drugs?? Does Medicare cover them? Will I need to pay privately?

One of my drugs is mega £££'s and could not afford to pay for it unfortunately.

Lucky for us we passed medicals and have our visas.

ATB
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:23 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescription drugs $$$ ??

If it's on the PB list I would think you pay the subsidised price, if not the full price. But there *is* an annual figure for a family above which you get some tax relief.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:21 pm
ABCDiamond

Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) Safety Net

A standard PBS prescription cost from 1st Jan 2010 is $33.30 for general patients, Adults and Children.
This should be the Maximum figure you pay for a standard Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) prescription.

There are two PBS safety net thresholds - one for general patients and the other for Concession Card patients.

The general patient safety net threshold for 2010 is $1,281.30

When patients and/or their families have spent that amount, they can apply for a Safety Net Concession Card and pay only $5.40 per prescription for the rest of that calendar year.

There are some prescriptions that are not covered under the PBS scheme, and are therefore not subsidised at all, meaning that these can be quite expensive.

Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:36 am
Just Joined

fishyface is a jewel in the roughfishyface is a jewel in the roughfishyface is a jewel in the roughfishyface is a jewel in the roughfishyface is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the info. I have now found the info required. Pleased to see that I would be covered on a $33 prescription. The drugs would cost over $40,000 otherwise - triple UK cost!!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:52 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fishyface
Thank you for the info. I have now found the info required. Pleased to see that I would be covered on a $33 prescription. The drugs would cost over $40,000 otherwise - triple UK cost!!
Still PBS is a way more expensive than the Uk - especially with repeats