Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pregnany and Xrays

pregnany and Xrays

Old Dec 19th 2002, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default pregnany and Xrays

We're hoping that oz house will be requesting our medicals soon, but to save time have decided to get them over with now.

11 weeks ago to our utter delight my wife found she was pregnant (been trying for 4 years thats even longer than waiting for a decision from Dima)

1. Can my wife pass the medical without an Xray? As she is British and has not been in contact with, as far as we know, anybody with TB.

2. If she cannot we've heard that she can have the Xray but use a lead shield to protect the unborn keel. Does anyone have any information that they can share about this?

Thanks

Keel
Old Dec 19th 2002, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: pregnany and Xrays

Originally posted by keel
We're hoping that oz house will be requesting our medicals soon, but to save time have decided to get them over with now.

11 weeks ago to our utter delight my wife found she was pregnant (been trying for 4 years thats even longer than waiting for a decision from Dima)

1. Can my wife pass the medical without an Xray? As she is British and has not been in contact with, as far as we know, anybody with TB.

2. If she cannot we've heard that she can have the Xray but use a lead shield to protect the unborn keel. Does anyone have any information that they can share about this?

Thanks

Keel
Hi,You will hear conflicting reports about whether to go ahead with your wifes xray because of the safety fears.Radioligists told us from no more risk than wearing a seat belt to it could deform your baby.The people saying no risk with modern equipment and lead sheild heavily out weighed the few who ,s opinions were not in favour.Most were in agreement that we should wait until at least the 14th week to reduce risk even further.My wife had her xray on the 14th week in a private hospital in london.It is a decision we did not take lightly and did a lot of research into before deciding.however it,s worth speaking to the radioligist at your nearest private hospital.Your application will be delayed until your wife has the xray. jockney
Old Dec 19th 2002, 6:45 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

11 weeks ago to our utter delight my wife found she was pregnant

Hold on,I was in Northumberland a few months ago .Does Mrs Keel have a green shimmery dress,a beard and testicles ? If so,I've left the country.

BB-i'm outta here
Old Dec 20th 2002, 2:47 pm
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

Thanks

Keel
The risk from Xrays in pregnancy falls dramatically after the first three months. In any case the radiation dose from a chest X ray is extremely small, a factor of 100 less than your dose from natural background radiation. There is no reason why you can't have a chest X Ray, with appropriate lead shielding. You will probably get much more radiation on your flight over to Oz

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/557340.stm
Old Dec 21st 2002, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice lads.

I thought that I would recieve critisisim for even considering letting my wife have an X ray whilst pregnant.

In a couple of weeks she will be past the danger stage for having an X ray but to be on the safe side I think we'll wait until asked before having the medicals.

Thanks

Keel