Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

preboxed ready 4 container advice

preboxed ready 4 container advice

Old Nov 4th 2003, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default preboxed ready 4 container advice

hopefully we will be going 2 oz mid jan 04.
we have already boxed 90% of our stuff,and will box tv,pc etc when the time is right.

what happens now??(bearing in mind we dont need packers to pack)
it all fits in my garage(10 feet)
do i ask shippers how much does it cost to diy fill a 10 ft container?
do i ask them to dump a container out side till i fill it?

i have no idea how it works

thanx
sashadan
Old Nov 4th 2003, 8:07 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: preboxed ready 4 container advice

Hi sashadan,
can you pop around to mine and just do the same?

I have so much "crap" that it will take a month to go through it all.
If I give the job to the wife it would just all go to the bin or end up on e bay.
Now theres an idea. If olny she knew what things were.

You must be very organised.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 4th 2003, 9:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I just rang & emailed some shipping companies, and told them I wanted quotes for shipping boxes that had been self-packed. Tell them how many you have and what size as its all done on volume.
The company I used (local Sussex one) took the boxes from my flat to their warehouse, and are shipping them out from there.

Some companies won't do it cos they don't like self-packed, so persist and shop around. The insurance is different - usually only covers you for loss not breakage, so it may be an idea with stuff like the TV to get that professionally packed - I did that with my computer. Told them I had X number of boxes, but also that I had a pc and associated stuff which I would pay them to pack for me - then you're covered for damage.

I'm sure you're OK, but for anyone packing themselves - make sure you haven't used fruit/veg/plant boxes. All the boxes need to be strong and well sealed, and write as little as possible on them - mine had my surname, "Brisbane, Aus" and the box number, thats all they wanted. Ckear and easy to read.
Pack all the wooden stuff in together rather than spread between the boxes - fewer for customs to open, and remember you will need to do an inventory of what is in each one
Old Nov 4th 2003, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Pollyana
I just rang & emailed some shipping companies, and told them I wanted quotes for shipping boxes that had been self-packed. Tell them how many you have and what size as its all done on volume.
The company I used (local Sussex one) took the boxes from my flat to their warehouse, and are shipping them out from there.

Some companies won't do it cos they don't like self-packed, so persist and shop around. The insurance is different - usually only covers you for loss not breakage, so it may be an idea with stuff like the TV to get that professionally packed - I did that with my computer. Told them I had X number of boxes, but also that I had a pc and associated stuff which I would pay them to pack for me - then you're covered for damage.

I'm sure you're OK, but for anyone packing themselves - make sure you haven't used fruit/veg/plant boxes. All the boxes need to be strong and well sealed, and write as little as possible on them - mine had my surname, "Brisbane, Aus" and the box number, thats all they wanted. Ckear and easy to read.
Pack all the wooden stuff in together rather than spread between the boxes - fewer for customs to open, and remember you will need to do an inventory of what is in each one

thanx polly
could u give me a quik e.g. of how the inventry is set out,
who gets a copy,shipper and customs??
cheers
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:15 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The form I had was supplied by the shippers - it was 3 carbonated sheets - copy for me, for them, and 1to go with the goods.
It just said Item number/ Carton or package (ie box or wrapped stuff)/ and description of contents

So each line looked something like:

1 CTN Books

2 PKG Chest of drawers

3 CTN CDs/Books/Photos

4 CTN Kitchen equipment

You will also need an Aussie Quarantine form for unaccompanied personal effects.

http://www.customs.gov.au/resources/Files/b534.pdf
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

The form I had was supplied by the shippers - it was 3 carbonated sheets - copy for me, for them, and 1to go with the goods.
It just said Item number/ Carton or package (ie box or wrapped stuff)/ and description of contents

So each line looked something like:

1 CTN Books

2 PKG Chest of drawers

3 CTN CDs/Books/Photos

4 CTN Kitchen equipment

You will also need an Aussie Quarantine form for unaccompanied personal effects.

http://www.customs.gov.au/resources/Files/b534.pdf

thanx polly
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:27 pm
WBB

all great advice thanks for that polly, i have started looking into self packing things like books, clothes, etc and did not realise you had to do an inventory, does tht mean each item of clothes has to be individually itemised or can you write 3 suits, 4 jeans etc.

Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:55 pm
Home and Happy

Hi Billy,
No they said that you can just put Clothes/Books/Records/CDs/china ornaments, that kind of thing. Makes it easiest if you do a box of the same thing - all books or clothes or whatever.
I sent stuff listed as clothes, household linen, towels, and that was all fine according to the shippers.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Billy,
No they said that you can just put Clothes/Books/Records/CDs/china ornaments, that kind of thing. Makes it easiest if you do a box of the same thing - all books or clothes or whatever.
I sent stuff listed as clothes, household linen, towels, and that was all fine according to the shippers.
Polly:

Which Sussex company did you use? All OK?
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:16 am
Home and Happy

Well, I'm not going to rave about them Rog, until I get the rest of my stuff, and at present that is at some indeterminable time in the future!

They are called ALS World Movers, and are based on the Knoll Business Park in Hove.
So far, they were very good with the pc; got it packed and air-freighted on time, and it has arrived here with no problems.
what I am less pleased about is the fact that they have known since June which date I was leaving on, and they had agreed to collect from me on Oct 15th, & invoice me the following week, so I could pay before leaving England. As of today, my stuff is still in their warehouse, hasn't even got as far as London, and they still can't tell me how much it is going to cost. When we called in on Oct 30th, everything was in exactly the same place as on the 16th, hadn't been touched at all. At this rate I am not expecting to see it before next summer!!! If they improve, I'll post it on here, but I'm not exactly impressed at the moment.
In my mind they rank somewhere along with Seeboard, and thats about as low as you can get!

Polly the crotchety Pom
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:57 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Pollyana,
at least you know where it is and they havn't lost it yet. (They havn't sent it very far though!)

Pollyana, would you class yourself as an "angry" Australian now
Maybe they are all weighting for there posessions.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:59 am
Home and Happy

Daft thing is that if I'm an anrgry Australian, its down to british inefficiency - shippers and electric board!
But as you say, at least I know where it is!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 4:25 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Daft thing is that if I'm an anrgry Australian, its down to british inefficiency - shippers and electric board!
But as you say, at least I know where it is!
You ain't seen nothing! American inefficiency beats anywhere else including much of SubSaharan Africa. And it's made worse by the interminable bullshit about how efficient they are......
Old Nov 7th 2003, 1:47 am
Home and Happy

No-one could call me unfair; as I wasn't very polite about my shippers yesterday I thought I should redress the balance now. They've emailed me today to say that my stuff is on its way to the port, should leave London on Nov 14th, and is scheduled to arrive in Brissie on January 2nd!!!! And as I had to leave before they completed the packing, they are shipping it up to London before being paid (strict no,no in their book).
So - they've redeemed themselves a bit - specially as they initailly said probably late Feb forarrival here.

Anyone who wants to give them a go, they are Andy and Barbara, and their email is
[email protected]
They don't have a website, which they say keeps costs down, and I'm inclined to agree, and they do mainly small shipments rather than whole houses - though they would probably do them if asked! Warehouse is in Hove and they are quite happy for people to visit.

Polly , the slightly more positive Pom!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:05 am
Just Joined

MikeJames is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: preboxed ready 4 container advice

[QUOTE=Pollyana]No-one could call me unfair; as I wasn't very polite about my shippers yesterday I thought I should redress the balance now. They've emailed me today to say that my stuff is on its way to the port, should leave London on Nov 14th, and is scheduled to arrive in Brissie on January 2nd!!!! And as I had to leave before they completed the packing, they are shipping it up to London before being paid (strict no,no in their book).
So - they've redeemed themselves a bit - specially as they initailly said probably late Feb forarrival here.

Anyone who wants to give them a go, they are Andy and Barbara, and their email is
[email protected]
They don't have a website, which they say keeps costs down, and I'm inclined to agree, and they do mainly small shipments rather than whole houses - though they would probably do them if asked! Warehouse is in Hove and they are quite happy for people to visit.

Polly , the slightly more positive Pom![/QUO

Hi Everyone i just thought i would say that alsworldmovers now have a website you can log onto the website at http://www.alsworldmovers.co.uk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.