Pre-grant query

Old Oct 1st 2002, 5:43 pm
kernowjmh23

Default Pre-grant query

Apologies if this has had an airing previously...
Has anybody had, or know of anyone who has actually not had a PR visa granted despite receiving a positive response to their application in the form of a pre-grant letter?
Looking at people's posts, most folk seem to be as delighted with receipt of pre-grant advice as with the final decision.
Just wondering...
Jon

Old Oct 1st 2002, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pre-grant query

Originally posted by kernowjmh23:
Has anybody had, or know of anyone who has actually not had a PR visa granted despite receiving a positive response to their application in the form of a pre-grant letter?
Looking at people's posts, most folk seem to be as delighted with receipt of pre-grant advice as with the final decision.
Just wondering...
Jon
Hi there,

As far as we were aware a Pre Grant is a mere formality and it states (in our case anyway) that a visa will be issued once you send them your passports. We did this and now have our PR. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ginny
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 12:41 am
Tommy

But how long does it take to get the visa placed in the passport and
returned so the visa can be used?
"Ginny" wrote in message
news:430921.1033505219@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by kernowjmh23:
    > > Apologies if this has had an airing previously...
    > > Has anybody had, or know of anyone who has actually not had a PR visa
    > > granted despite receiving a positive response to their application in
    > > the form of a pre-grant letter?
    > > Looking at people's posts, most folk seem to be as delighted with
    > > receipt of pre-grant advice as with the final decision.
    > > Just wondering...
    > > Jon
    > Hi there,
    > As far as we were aware a Pre Grant is a mere formality and it states
    > (in our case anyway) that a visa will be issued once you send them your
    > passports. We did this and now have our PR. Hope this helps.
    > Regards
    > Ginny
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 2:19 am
Iny

I think there's a difference between the pre-grants that people who
applied to local embassies/consulates receive and ones received by
people who applied to Adelaide. The ones from Adelaide require you to
send back a Change of Circumstances (1022) form among others and
clearly say that your visa is not approved yet. The ones from the
consulates/embassies say that you've been granted a visa and that you
should send in your passports. Correct me if I'm mistaken...

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Pre-grant query

Just wondering...
Jon

We applied to London, got our pre grant letter on Fri 13th which said our application had been successful, sent our passports the following Thurs got them back the next Tuesday complete with visa.
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 10:00 am
kernowjmh23

I was querying the pre-grant letters from Adelaide really. As Iny points out, the wording of the letter suggests that all not is not cut and dried as far as getting the visa goes... Looking at www.austimeline.com does suggest the pre-grant letter is just a formality, but the wording on a friend's pre-grant letter (I've yet to get mine - medicals and Form 80 posted off six weeks ago) did make me wonder if people were ever turned down at the last hurdle...
Jon

Old Oct 3rd 2002, 10:12 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at www.austimeline.com does suggest the pre-grant letter is just a formality, but the wording on a friend's pre-grant letter (I've yet to get mine - medicals and Form 80 posted off six weeks ago) did make me wonder if people were ever turned down at the last hurdle...
Jon
In theory, one can still be denied the permanent resident visa right up to either of these happening:

1) grant of PR visa in Australia if onshore category

or

2) clearing immigration using your migrant visa before the first-entry date if offshore category.

Which means that the pre-grant letter is merely a milestone in the application process (whether the application was made to AHC or APSC), and does not mean that your PR visa is in your hands. And which is why any change in circumstances that may affect any answers given to DIMIA in one's application form must still be told to DIMIA until either of the two scenarios above.

Peter