Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pound denominated check in an Aussie bank account?

pound denominated check in an Aussie bank account?

Old Apr 1st 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice
Default pound denominated check in an Aussie bank account?

Hubby and I have received in the mail two checks from his late grandmothers estate made out in pounds. Will we be able to deposit these checks here in Oz or do we need to send them back to the UK to our bank accounts there?
Old Apr 1st 2012, 8:55 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of
Default Re: pound denominated check in an Aussie bank account?

Originally Posted by lynetteh
Hubby and I have received in the mail two checks from his late grandmothers estate made out in pounds. Will we be able to deposit these checks here in Oz or do we need to send them back to the UK to our bank accounts there?
NAB do it with a fee, I'd check what you'd pay if its a large amount.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 9:04 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

try HSBC
Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

It's usually cheaper to transfer pounds directly to an Australian bank account rather than get the UK bank to convert to dollars then transfer.

Probably just best to ring around your banks (UK and here) and ask them what they'll charge before you do anything.

so ask UK - how much do they charge to transfer pounds to an Aus account?

ask Aus bank - how much to cash a pound cheque? Any fees for receiving pounds, which they will immediately convert to dollars?
Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

If you deposit a sterling cheque into an Oz account (banks will do it) you'll get a rubbish exchange rate, high fees and it can take weeks.

Deposit it into your account in the UK. Then transfer it over to Australia using one of the Foreign Exchange companies. They don't cost much, give far better rates than the banks and you can (maybe) pick the time to transfer it when the rate is in your favour.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

NAB have always done it for me for a fee of - I forget - about $10-$20. Surprisingly, the funds have always cleared instantly (amounts up to about $4000 a time)

You can view the rates on the bank websites
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

Thanks everyone!! It is not a large amount of money so the exchange rate wont make a real difference, and it is too small a sum to use a forex company from UK to OZ, so I am thrilled to hear that the Oz banks will accept it, for a hopefully small fee.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 11:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynetteh
Thanks everyone!! It is not a large amount of money so the exchange rate wont make a real difference, and it is too small a sum to use a forex company from UK to OZ, so I am thrilled to hear that the Oz banks will accept it, for a hopefully small fee.
If you're really nice and pathetic, the bank [I]may[/I let you off the fee. Comm did with me
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

I'm going to start practising pathetic in the mirror now!