Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Retired couple in Morayfield, QLD

Retired couple in Morayfield, QLD

Old Mar 11th 2012, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Downatheart is a jewel in the roughDownatheart is a jewel in the roughDownatheart is a jewel in the roughDownatheart is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Retired couple in Morayfield, QLD

Having moved here almost 5 months ago, we are finding it so difficult to make friends - our children (we moved here to be near them) all work full time so we see them rarely. We would love to meet retired couples with a view to visiting places of interest or just sitting down for a real good chat. Right now, I am feeling very very homesick and ready to get on a plane back to the UK. We are in our early 60's.

We love to play cards, some board games and have a casual interest in photography. Walking is a great favourite with us, especially if it is with views to live for.

Would love to hear from anyone within a 30k radius if at all possible.

Forgot to say that we are originally from the UK, lived very close to Heathrow Airport where my husband worked for almost 37 years.

Last edited by Downatheart; Mar 11th 2012 at 3:23 am. Reason: Missed off information
Old Mar 11th 2012, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Downatheart is a jewel in the roughDownatheart is a jewel in the roughDownatheart is a jewel in the roughDownatheart is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Retired couple in Morayfield, QLD

Will consider any distance as we miss our good friends in the UK, skype, emails and telephone calls just don't cut it really.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:33 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retired couple in Morayfield, QLD

Why don't you get in yer car and travel about Queensland a bit,do it together,meet people along the way,get out there and have some fun
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Retired couple in Morayfield, QLD

Thanks for the advice, it is what we have been doing for the last 4.5 months and still we are looking to meet people - we had a very nice circle of friends plus family in the UK and to be honest, there is only so much conversation we can make with each other.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Not my cup of tea but would you be interested in joining a church? My parents have lived all over the place - they seem to have instant friends after a few weeks of going to the local church.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Retired couple in Morayfield, QLD

Thank you, Church is something that we thought about, it is not something that we have practiced over the years but who knows, maybe that is why we are here and not still happily in the UK.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 5:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downatheart
Thank you, Church is something that we thought about, it is not something that we have practiced over the years but who knows, maybe that is why we are here and not still happily in the UK.
When my husband was having trouble meeting people in Adelaide he joined a church. (not my thing, so I didn't join with him) It was non-denominational and full of just really nice people.

You could also try joining a club or volunteering at something that interests you. Our former neighbours were a retired couple but they're always off doing something. He helps out another neighbour with his painting & decorating business and she works a few hours a week doing promotions in shopping centres. They were the neighbourhood social butterflies, hosting parties just about every weekend for the first summer. You may not want to work full time, but getting out a couple of hours a day will certainly give you something to do and something to talk to each other about.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Did you have any hobbies that you used to do in the Uk that you can continue with.Voluntary work is a good one.You will feel useful and maybe meet some new people.Try not get too disheartened.Friends will come along.Have any of your children's friends got parents that you may like to meet.Maybe do an evening course.Good luck.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: Retired couple in Morayfield, QLD

Thank you for your help so far, we have decided that we will attend the only non demoninational churches in the area and see how that goes - the only ones we can find are the spiritual church but a lot of what they believe sits very well with us so nothing ventured nothing gained and watch this space in a weeks time.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your help so far, we have decided that we will attend the only non demoninational churches in the area and see how that goes - the only ones we can find are the spiritual church but a lot of what they believe sits very well with us so nothing ventured nothing gained and watch this space in a weeks time.
Good luck. It's hard for the first little while but put yourselves out there, never say no to any invitation (well, at first anyway) and you're sure to meet some really nice people. You'll probably meet some you never care to see again, but you can chalk those up to experience.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Red face Re: Retired couple in Morayfield, QLD

Thank you Dorothy, yes I had to kiss a lot of frogs before I found my perfect man LOL so this will be a doddle compared. Will let you know what happens when I have something to report which will hopefully not be too long. Funny enough, both our son and daughter rang this evening and it made such a difference to be able to chat to someone else - now I know that my peoplesickness (I like that better than homesickness) is caused through missing my friends and family and new friendships will help enormously.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Have you seen a copy of the Messenger - weekly magazine - you'd probably pick up a copy in Westfield shopping centre North lakes.
At the back there are lots of community groups - different church groups, crafts and many other community groups that advertise for Pine Rivers area.

PM me if you can't get you hands on one I can probably help you out.
Settling in is hard at any age.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:11 am
Account Closed

dragon5254 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in California for the past year from Brisbane and I'm not working. Initially it was very hard for me as my husband works full time. But I've now met lots of friends through Meetup.com. I go walking with my female buddies, the theatre and belong to a book club. You can also do the same in Queensland. Just search on google and find something that interests you. There is so much going on in Queensland, and the meetups cater to all ages and all interests.....if you can't find anything you fancy start one up yourself! Good luck.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

valandmatt53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having moved here almost 5 months ago, we are finding it so difficult to make friends - our children (we moved here to be near them) all work full time so we see them rarely. We would love to meet retired couples with a view to visiting places of interest or just sitting down for a real good chat. Right now, I am feeling very very homesick and ready to get on a plane back to the UK. We are in our early 60's.

We love to play cards, some board games and have a casual interest in photography. Walking is a great favourite with us, especially if it is with views to live for.

Would love to hear from anyone within a 30k radius if at all possible.

Forgot to say that we are originally from the UK, lived very close to Heathrow Airport where my husband worked for almost 37 years.

Hi, We are currently still in the UK awaiting CP Visa and plan to come over to Oz in Sept/October. We will be settling around the Redland Bay/Cleveland area, south of Brisbane. Don't know if this is more than 30K from you, but wondered if you'd like to stay in touch with a view to a meet-up when we have settled. We are of similar age to yourselves, same reasons for emigrating also (although we have daughter in Brisbane and son in Sydney!) we live about 15 miles-ish from Heathrow, and love walking, scenery, wildlife etc. OH is retired butcher of 45 years in the same shop in Chalfont St Giles - the actual shop used in the Dad's Army film by Private Jones in the 70's! We were in Oz for 6 months last year and discovered the joys of camping! So, with all these things we have in common, maybe we could be friends in the future.......I know it doesn't help you right now - I so know what you mean by only having so much to talk about with OH! - but I think others have given you some good ideas to make friends. Actually one of the things we had thought of joining was a Bowls Club, would have to check it out first though.! To repeat what I've read on previous posts - you have to go out to meet people, they won't come to you!

All the best for now, Val
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valandmatt53

Hi, We are currently still in the UK awaiting CP Visa and plan to come over to Oz in Sept/October. We will be settling around the Redland Bay/Cleveland area, south of Brisbane. Don't know if this is more than 30K from you, but wondered if you'd like to stay in touch with a view to a meet-up when we have settled. We are of similar age to yourselves, same reasons for emigrating also (although we have daughter in Brisbane and son in Sydney!) we live about 15 miles-ish from Heathrow, and love walking, scenery, wildlife etc. OH is retired butcher of 45 years in the same shop in Chalfont St Giles - the actual shop used in the Dad's Army film by Private Jones in the 70's! We were in Oz for 6 months last year and discovered the joys of camping! So, with all these things we have in common, maybe we could be friends in the future.......I know it doesn't help you right now - I so know what you mean by only having so much to talk about with OH! - but I think others have given you some good ideas to make friends. Actually one of the things we had thought of joining was a Bowls Club, would have to check it out first though.! To repeat what I've read on previous posts - you have to go out to meet people, they won't come to you!

All the best for now, Val
Distance between Cleveland and Morayfield is approx 70 kms by road doable in just under an hour subject of course to traffic.(1 hour is nothing to find good friends ) in our opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.