Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possibly a silly question re:email address

Possibly a silly question re:email address

Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

wits end will become famous soon enough
Question Possibly a silly question re:email address

I'll apologise in advance if this is a daft question. But would one of you kind people be able to tell me if my email address in UK is for example [email protected]. When I get to Oz will I still be able to log on and use the same email address? I mean the .co.uk would it now not need to be .au or something?

I'm just panicking I'm not going to able to access my yahoo emails on my .co.uk address? Does this make sense

If you do reply would you be really kind and explain in 'idiot proof' language Sadly, am not the most PC literate

Thank you in advance
Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Possibly a silly question re:email address

Yes it will
Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

wits end will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Santa
Yes it will
Perfect, that's all I needed to know thank you!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Yes but if it is indeed a .co.uk one you would be better off with a .com or .com.au. Reason being that .co.uk addresses will most likely be based in the UK and accessing from Australia will be slower than accessing a local .com.au or US-based .com one e.g. @gmail.com. Ofcourse if you have tons of friends who already use your .co.uk address then a switch is more problematic.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by discobay
Yes but if it is indeed a .co.uk one you would be better off with a .com or .com.au. Reason being that .co.uk addresses will most likely be based in the UK and accessing from Australia will be slower than accessing a local .com.au or US-based .com one e.g. @gmail.com. Ofcourse if you have tons of friends who already use your .co.uk address then a switch is more problematic.
Very true, whenever I logged onto Yahoo whilst on holiday there it kept taking me to a screen to inform me I was in Australia (like I didnt know) and did I want to go to yahoo.au, on saying no it took an age to load the .co.uk site
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by discobay
After accessing my UK yahoo email from Aus for a while Yahoo asked me if I would like it changing so I access from the Aus servers which I think speeded it up a bit. I access my yahoo.co.uk email here from both yahoo.com.au and yahoo.co.uk without problems.

Also with yahoo you can't have the email address in more than one site so for example if you have [email protected] no one can register [email protected] or even [email protected]

Last edited by spottydog; Jun 30th 2009 at 8:57 am. Reason: spelling and removed assumed links
Old Jun 30th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wits end
I'll apologise in advance if this is a daft question. But would one of you kind people be able to tell me if my email address in UK is for example [email protected]. When I get to Oz will I still be able to log on and use the same email address? I mean the .co.uk would it now not need to be .au or something?

I'm just panicking I'm not going to able to access my yahoo emails on my .co.uk address? Does this make sense

If you do reply would you be really kind and explain in 'idiot proof' language Sadly, am not the most PC literate

Thank you in advance

To reassured, mate, it doesn't matter where you are in the world, as long as you can get online, ie connect to the internet, you will be able to access any site, whether this is .co.uk, org, .com etc...

The only restrictions are those imposed by commercial or sites of content that are of interests to predefined areas, which do IP sniffing and re-route to their user's country specific site that can stop you of getting in there.

In fact, my wife uses hotmail.co.uk, my daughter uses com.au and I use hotmail.com

You don't need to change your email address.