Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possibly moving to sydney .. which surburbs are best?

Possibly moving to sydney .. which surburbs are best?

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

cameronmolyneux is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibly moving to sydney .. which surburbs are best?

Its looking highly likely that i'm going to be sponsored to come and work out in sydney.

I'm going to be bringing my wife and 1 year old daughter with me

Can anyone recomened suburbs to check out ... we'd like to be close to the beach but also to schools (for when she's older) and other amenities ..

Any websites worth checking out
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Possibly moving to sydney .. which surburbs are best?

bump
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:24 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cameronmolyneux
Its looking highly likely that i'm going to be sponsored to come and work out in sydney.

Can anyone recomened suburbs to check out ... we'd like to be close to the beach but also to schools (for when she's older) and other amenities ..

I really loved matraville/coogee when i was there. i stayed with family and they have lived in that are for the past 30 yrs. There family has grown up there and their eldest son has chosen to bring up his son there too!!! Near to several beaches, great RSL's for food and drinks, cheap membership and lots od benefits!! (i suppose they r meant to be like our social clubs but dont let that put you off!!) They have resteraunts and bars in not the old man and pint of ale type we have here. THey organise fishing trips and run sorts for adults and children, with xmas parties for kids and adults!! Really good community spirit.

These two suburbs are on the eastern shores and takes 15 mins to drive into the city!! not bad. 5 mins to the beach. Also Randwick is nice. Lots of things for families to do, good bars and resterants. BBQ facilities on Coogee beach too!!
I prefare eastern suburbs to northern beahces as there are no funnelwebs!!!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

As posted numerous times before it your choice of area will be decided by your budget unless you have upwards of $5 million and then I guess you can pretty much pick wherever you fancy. Name your budget and people will advise where you can afford that might meet your requirements.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 7:51 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at www.realestate.com.au to start getting an idea of prices. Ignore the prices of stuff up for auction as they are total rubbish.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:41 am
Paul Wakeford

In article <[email protected]> ,
member37615@british_expats.com (cameronmolyneux) wrote:

> *Subject:* Possibly moving to sydney .. which surburbs are best?
    > *From:* cameronmolyneux <member37615@british_expats.com>
    > *Date:* Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:07:12 +0000
    >
    >
    > Its looking highly likely that i'm going to be sponsored to come and
    > work out in sydney.
    >
    > I'm going to be bringing my wife and 1 year old daughter with me
    >
    > Can anyone recomened suburbs to check out ... we'd like to be close to
    > the beach but also to schools (for when she's older) and other
    > amenities ..
    >
    > Any websites worth checking out
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

aaarggghhh!

:-)

Paul

Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:27 am
Merlot

Be gentle with the newbies, rather that arggghhhhhing, maybe show them how to search or ask more questions.

I used to live North Ryde/Macquarie Park which was good for us, 2 adults no kids as we both worked there too.

If you could let the Board know your budget?? Are you buying/renting?

M

Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Sorry folks .. i was just really looking for an idea of places to avoid or good places to look .. i guess i could have done a search .. but you all seemed so helpfull

Anyway my wage will be $80k so i was thinking of $500-$600 a week on rent ... (i'm sort of guessing that i shouldn't really spent more that that as i have a wife and daughter to support)

Long term we will look to buy but not until i get a pr visa instead ...

I've looked on realestate but that doesn't really give me an idea of what the area is like, whether is suitable for kids .. but i've seem plenty of nice enough propertys within budget

I'm hoping to find an area that is family friendly, with plenty of things for the wife to do with my daughter (1years old) whislt i'm at work ..

Do they have mother and toddler groups for example ? (which would be an ideal way for the wife to make friends)

edit: Another thing. I'll be working in darling harbour.

Last edited by cameronmolyneux; Apr 1st 2005 at 12:34 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry folks .. i was just really looking for an idea of places to avoid or good places to look .. i guess i could have done a search .. but you all seemed so helpfull

Anyway my wage will be $80k so i was thinking of $500-$600 a week on rent ... (i'm sort of guessing that i shouldn't really spent more that that as i have a wife and daughter to support)

Long term we will look to buy but not until i get a pr visa instead ...

I've looked on realestate but that doesn't really give me an idea of what the area is like, whether is suitable for kids .. but i've seem plenty of nice enough propertys within budget

I'm hoping to find an area that is family friendly, with plenty of things for the wife to do with my daughter (1years old) whislt i'm at work ..

Do they have mother and toddler groups for example ? (which would be an ideal way for the wife to make friends)

edit: Another thing. I'll be working in darling harbour.
Like anywhere, the most desirable places are the most expensive. Harbour view suburbs are the most sought after, both north of the bridge (Neutral Bay, Mosman and right round to Manly) and south (from the city round to Vaucluse). The eastern beach suburbs are probably next most popular, being relatively close to the city, with great shopping and of course having the beach close by. North Shore (North Sydney up towards Hornsby) is quieter, full of leafy streets with decent sized blocks and also very desirable.

All these areas would have activities for children. I can't think of any suburb in Sydney that wouldn't (Vaucluse/Point Piper/Bellevue Hill might be a bit light on such places, as most of the population seem to be old and rich, not many young families there!).

If you're working in Darling Harbour you might want to think about inner west suburbs. Balmain, Glebe, Annandale are trendy, slightly alternate areas and rents would be lower than east or north. All are convenient for the city and not too far from the coast. Southern suburbs along the Georges and Port Hacking Rivers are also nice, but a bit of a distance from the city.

Avoid any suburb in the corridor running from the city south to the airport. These are semi-industrial areas and not too nice. Also the suburbs from Strathfield (but not including it) west to Parramatta are not the best.

To be honest, I'd go for one of the eastern beaches. Not Bondi particularly, but Bronte, Clovelly and Coogee are great for families (where I've lived for over 20 years, so I speak from experience!) and the rents are not as high as the flashier harbour-side suburbs.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

hey nicky.. exactly the sort of info i was after ..

to be honest we are thinking eastern beaches (but not bondi) .. whats the transport like from there to the city? as i'm not sure if we'll have a car to start with ..

I'd like to be as close to the beach as possible because spending time on the beach is a pasttime my wife would be more than happy doing while i'm out earning a crust ..

I think i will have use of the company flat on darling harbour until our furniture arrives from the uk so i guess that will give us plenty of time to look around ..

should have confirmation of the job offer next week, then we just need to sort out the 457
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

hey nicky.. exactly the sort of info i was after ..

to be honest we are thinking eastern beaches (but not bondi) .. whats the transport like from there to the city? as i'm not sure if we'll have a car to start with ..

I'd like to be as close to the beach as possible because spending time on the beach is a pasttime my wife would be more than happy doing while i'm out earning a crust ..

I think i will have use of the company flat on darling harbour until our furniture arrives from the uk so i guess that will give us plenty of time to look around ..

should have confirmation of the job offer next week, then we just need to sort out the 457
If you're within walking distance of Bondi Junction, then transport to the city is a cinch on the train. Otherwise it's a bus direct to the city. They're very frequent and around 20-25 minutes from Coogee, similar from Clovelly. Or alternatively a bus to Bondi Junction and then the train. My neighbour actually walks to the city each day (cuts through Centennial Park) and gets his daily exercise at the same time but have to admit that it's not the norm.

Good luck.