Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possible visit by disabled parents

Possible visit by disabled parents

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possible visit by disabled parents

My Mum has osteoparosis and has to have a wheelchair to leave the house, and my Dad can't walk far.

They're talking about coming out to Perth to visit us. This is dependent on a big fingers-crossed that they keep (relatively) well.

I've started thinking about the logistics. Thoughts/queries so far:

1. They'd have to fly Business class and I'd be paying. Malaysian Airlines is about £3k each compared to Emirates/Qantas/Singapore who are all around £4.5k each (I'm looking around Easter ext year). Does anyone have any experience of how good Malaysian Airlines are with providing assistance to disabled passengers?

2. They both have disabled badges - is it possible to get temporary ACROD passes here?

3. Where can I hire a wheelchair etc from?

4. Can visitors buy ambulance cover?

5. I'm right in thinking there's a reciprocal arrangement with Medicare fr emergency medical treatment?

6. Any good travel insurance companies for old, sick people!?

Any other useful advice welcome!
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible visit by disabled parents

Ok, strike that.

After a week of nagging me daily to check flight prices, they've now decided it's too much for them.

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

That's a shame as we would be in the same position as you with my folks visiting and all my questions would be the same, if they change their minds I would be interested to hear how you got on.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
My Mum has osteoparosis and has to have a wheelchair to leave the house, and my Dad can't walk far.

They're talking about coming out to Perth to visit us. This is dependent on a big fingers-crossed that they keep (relatively) well.

I've started thinking about the logistics. Thoughts/queries so far:

1. They'd have to fly Business class and I'd be paying. Malaysian Airlines is about £3k each compared to Emirates/Qantas/Singapore who are all around £4.5k each (I'm looking around Easter ext year). Does anyone have any experience of how good Malaysian Airlines are with providing assistance to disabled passengers?

2. They both have disabled badges - is it possible to get temporary ACROD passes here?

5. I'm right in thinking there's a reciprocal arrangement with Medicare fr emergency medical treatment?

Have you thought about Qantas Premium economy, cheaper than business and the seats IMO are business class size. Very roomy and the staff were lovely, far more attentive than economy.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

My mother and aunt were here last year. My mother is in a wheelchair from a botched hip replacement surgery years ago.

No experience with that. My mother flew Cathay and didn't have a single good thing to say about them.

It should be no problem. Contact ACROD about how to apply. There used to be a "visitors permit" page on their website but it seems to have been removed. Anyway, they should be able to get a copy of the visitors form, fill it out, mail it in and it arrives at your address. I believe they can also use their overseas permits if they'd like. We got a temporary ACROD one good for the three weeks they were here.

There's heaps of places. We used Mandurah Mobility because it's close to us, but you should be able to find something closer to you. Most places will deliver and pick up equipment afterwards for a small fee. Don't forget you'll probably have to hire more than a wheelchair but also things like a shower chair, walker, etc. Ha, we even rented a motorized scooter so she could go the park with the kids without us pushing her chair up the hills.

You'll also have to make a ramp. My hubby just got some plywood from the store, planed it down, and ta-da, ramps into the house and out to the patio.

Also, think about what kind of car you'll be renting that will accommodate a wheechair and/or walker in the back.

My mother brought her own wheelchair with her but we hired all the other equipment here.

Not sure, sorry. They handled all their own insurance stuff.

I believe so, but you might want to double check.

The trick will be to find one that covers them and doesn't cost a fortune. There's also issues with meds and stuff that might affect their premiums. For example, my aunt is on a medication that is basically red flagged as higher risk on the insurance paperwork, so even though my mother is the one without one hip and in a wheelchair, it was my physically able aunt who had to pay more for her coverage.

I also agree about the premium economy if you can manage it. Good luck. I hope they change their minds about coming to visit. I was worried with my mother being in the wheelchair and all, but she had a great visit and there were very few places that weren't fully accessible. Ha, we even took her to Rottnest and rented one of their motorized scooters for her while the rest of us trudged around the main part of the island.

Last edited by Japonica; Jul 23rd 2012 at 7:50 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine's mum visits her daughter regularly in Sydney.
She has both legs amputated (but has prosthetics) and mostly uses a wheelchair. Not sure if she brings her own..I guess she does.

She used to fly Singapore which is now too expensive, but now flies BA business class.
She never seems to have had a problem and there are always staff allocated to her to help with the transfer in Sing and off the plane in Aus.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Just realised there were more replies. Thanks for the advice, everyone. Will bear it in mind if they change their minds.