Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Portuguese man o'war

Wikiposts

Portuguese man o'war

Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:19 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice
Default Re: Portuguese man o'war

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Are jellyfish easy to spot from the beach or is it only when you get in the water you see them?

Also, when is 'stinger' season - when's the best times of year to give the sea a wide bearth?

Cheers,

Rob
Acording to a book on Australian Seashores I just got from the library (nope, not Janet and John go to the beach) the largest jellyfish is the "scyphozan medusa" better known as the giant blubber. They can grow up to 7 metres in diameter and has tentacles up to 120 feet in length:scared:

Luckily, around Australian waters they only grow up to 2 feet in diameter....but they're still powerful enough to break a surfboard.

You shouldn't have much problem seeing one of those and I'd give all jellyfish a wide berth any time of the year...