Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Portable Air Conditioners?

Portable Air Conditioners?

Old Jan 27th 2007, 7:54 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portable Air Conditioners?

Originally Posted by silver knight
if you get fixed A/C you can get a system with a heat pump fitted and in the winter it reverse's the process thus warming the room, used a lot in the uk.

i went to a conferance a couple of months ago where they were investigating ways of saving and reuseing energy.

one idea was to use the heat exchanger on the back of a fridge to cook with and another was using the waste heat from A/C units(in cooling mode) to dry clothes and heat water.

gareth
Way behind the curve!

Our place in the States had a heat recovery unit on the A/C: it "recovered" a large proportion of the otherwise-wasted heat from the outside heat exchanger and heated the water with it.

Obviously during the winter when the A/C was not often used it helped not, but in July and August, when A/C ran quite a lot, you could turn off the water heaters and still have scalding showers as often as you liked!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve`o
we bought one last week for our daughter from bunnings for 500 bucks
its cooled down our girls room a treat and as she was "camping" in our bedroom which has ac it was worth every cent
Well to update we bought the $500 unit from Bunnings and are happy with it ... It's fine in any of the bedrooms, but with the lounge being open planned it won't work as well, but it still blows nice cool air at ya! ...

Originally Posted by steve`o
its amazing how much heat comes out of the duct its as hot as as the exhaust duct from our tumble dryer
Not arf!!

Steve, does your unit make a funny rattling noise once in a while?

Not sure if it's normal or if I should take it back, but apart from that it's been excellent! ...
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:14 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Steve, does your unit make a funny rattling noise once in a while?

Not sure if it's normal or if I should take it back, but apart from that it's been excellent! ...
The unit above my head at work sounds like a bag of bones when switched on after it's been off for a while - like after one of the regular power cuts (we had 6 before 9am one day last week )
Old Feb 10th 2007, 4:00 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wmoore
The unit above my head at work sounds like a bag of bones when switched on after it's been off for a while - like after one of the regular power cuts (we had 6 before 9am one day last week )
This thing most of the time just hums along fine, but now and then it rattles too!

I think it's normal, dunno how but do ...
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
This thing most of the time just hums along fine, but now and then it rattles too!

I think it's normal, dunno how but do ...
I guess it must be a few degrees hotter there. We haven't used the air con at all this year. The ceiling fans have been fine as well as leaving the windows open but screens closed. Use an upright fan for the living room, but we don't have a ceiling fan in there just the air con - unused

Let me have your new address. How long does it take to get to college from there?
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I guess it must be a few degrees hotter there. We haven't used the air con at all this year. The ceiling fans have been fine as well as leaving the windows open but screens closed. Use an upright fan for the living room, but we don't have a ceiling fan in there just the air con - unused

Let me have your new address. How long does it take to get to college from there?
HAVEN'T USED THE AIR CON YET!!!!! ... ... Penny you def can take more heat than Nic (never thought I'd say that about someone else), and that is sooooo saying something as while a sheet on the bed in the night is ok for me, she's still using a quilt! ... sorry, a doona! ...

Yeah I reckon it must be hotter up here. It's been 34C in the garden a lot of the time recently and snapped this recently - 11.20pm

Ceiling fans ARE proving ok in the evening, but when the sun is out it's bloomin hot, especially in the house!

Will PM you address.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

lol We still have the duvet on our bed We do get a good breeze through the house during the day though and find the fans fine. I will sort that barbie out again soon. Honest
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I will sort that barbie out again soon. Honest
Ok ...