Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Port Arthur Massacre

Port Arthur Massacre

Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:06 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Port Arthur Massacre

Just seen on 7 news about the anniversary of the Port Arthur Massacre, I'd never heard of this before so googled it and wow, how awful was it!!!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Port Arthur Massacre

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Just seen on 7 news about the anniversary of the Port Arthur Massacre, I'd never heard of this before so googled it and wow, how awful was it!!!
Yep, it was pretty horrific. We knew a few people who died, particicuarly the elderly couple, David and Sally Martin, who ran the B&B Seascape. We had stayed there several times. It was all very sad.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:29 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
Yep, it was pretty horrific. We knew a few people who died, particicuarly the elderly couple, David and Sally Martin, who ran the B&B Seascape. We had stayed there several times. It was all very sad.
Crazy, I just googled image searched the killer, WOW he is very scary looking!!!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:35 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

The worlds worst gun massacre 35 dead happened in OZ. l thought most people in the UK knew about it The guy was a total physco, l have a link to the full story below.
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/n...t/index_1.html

Last edited by mohogony; Apr 27th 2010 at 9:40 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:41 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
The worlds worst gun massacre 35 dead happened in OZ.
sorry, South Korea claims that particular title:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woo_Bum...yeong_massacre
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:42 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elfman
sorry, South Korea claims that particular title:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woo_Bum...yeong_massacre
The worlds worst "gun" massacre the Korean killed vicitms with grenades (explosives) as well as guns
so its not really a gun massacre. OZ is in the history books for the worlds worst peace time gun massacre.

Last edited by mohogony; Apr 27th 2010 at 9:47 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:51 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

The worlds worst "gun" massacre the Korean killed vicitms with grenades (explosives) as well as guns
so its not really a gun massacre. OZ is in the history books for the worlds worst peace time gun massacre.
Well Yay for Australia then. Although none of the sources break down how many of the Korean's 57 victims were shot vs blown up.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:05 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

It's hardly a competition....
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:20 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

The worlds worst gun massacre 35 dead happened in OZ. l thought most people in the UK knew about it The guy was a total physco, l have a link to the full story below.
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/n...t/index_1.html
I was under the impression that most people knew about it in the UK. I remember it being on the news and it was particularly topical at the time as it was so soon after Dunblane. If you read more about him the scary thing was that he actually took inspiration from the Dunblane massacre
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

OMG just read the article, thats so awful, Vaguely remember hearing about it. So sad
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

We visited the place last year, the cafe where a lot of them died is now an empty shell and is a memorial to those killed.

We have friends who live in Hobart and they told us that the gunmans name is never ever mentioned in Tasmania and it is a bit of a taboo subject.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:27 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
We visited the place last year, the cafe where a lot of them died is now an empty shell and is a memorial to those killed.

We have friends who live in Hobart and they told us that the gunmans name is never ever mentioned in Tasmania and it is a bit of a taboo subject.
I think it is probably the same everywhere there is a massacre of that kind. My cousin used to live in Hungerford and he said the same about Michael Ryan
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Jenny
If you ever got down to Tassie, a visit to Port Arthur is well worth it. Not so much for the massacre connection - though they do have a very moving memorial -, but for the great history lesson about Australia's convict past.

It's also a beautiful part of Tasmania. We've been there twice and I've decided that when I win the lottery, I'll buy a holiday home down there . I'd better start playing the lottery then
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Truly scary bloke.
You have to wonder if he is being punished by being locked up or if he just enjoyed the notoriety. But then how can you punish someone who has no capacity for remorse?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Jenny
If you ever got down to Tassie, a visit to Port Arthur is well worth it. Not so much for the massacre connection - though they do have a very moving memorial -, but for the great history lesson about Australia's convict past.

It's also a beautiful part of Tasmania. We've been there twice and I've decided that when I win the lottery, I'll buy a holiday home down there . I'd better start playing the lottery then
Yes tasmania is a beautiful place, probably has the best scenery in OZ, l really liked the ruggard unspolit coastline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.