Poms want to be cold?

Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:21 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Poms want to be cold?

Soft poms, strain resources...
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Round here its the Aussie thats too hot. I sit here shivereing, wearing 3 jumpers and a pair of woolly socks, and I cuddle up at night under the doona, because The Bloke loves the air con and I just find it gets toooooo cold.
Roll on the winter, so I can warm up!!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:10 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Poms want to be cold?

Originally posted by Florida_03
Not just the Poms, the whole country's gone soft; Poms just on the leading edge due to earlier Mass Urbanization, earlier Sedentary WorkHabits adoption. Air con costs deflated rapidly relative to wages. Few other than construction workers work in all weathers these days.

Reckon they'll all end up as Weather Whingers like the Poms.

A neighbour was silly with money and ended up jobless and moneyless. Quit a job inspecting construction; not very physical; used to whinge a lot.

He got a very physical paving / landscaping job; out in the heat sweating profusely - never before seen him so trim, positive and enjoying life so much.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:21 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Not just the Poms, the whole country's gone soft; Poms just on the leading edge due to earlier Mass Urbanization, earlier Sedentary WorkHabits adoption. Air con costs deflated rapidly relative to wages. Few other than construction workers work in all weathers these days.

Reckon they'll all end up as Weather Whingers like the Poms.

A neighbour was silly with money and ended up jobless and moneyless. Quit a job inspecting construction; not very physical; used to whinge a lot.

He got a very physical paving / landscaping job; out in the heat sweating profusely - never before seen him so trim, positive and enjoying life so much.
Over 40 years in Australia and I had never lived in an air-conditioned house. Everyone seems to like the architectural style of Queenslander's but it is form from function. I can't understand how the basics of designing comfortable housing are so completely ignored...geez they have only been known for a few thousand years!!!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe i misread the article in the paper?? Could you please point me to the paragraph where it names 'Pomies'. Pomie meaning 'prisoner of mother England'. I take it you are classing yourself as Australian and not Pomie?
Strangely enough i thought only natural born Aboriginies were Australian.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:07 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Handyandy180
Maybe i misread the article in the paper?? Could you please point me to the paragraph where it names 'Pomies'. Pomie meaning 'prisoner of mother England'. I take it you are classing yourself as Australian and not Pomie?
Look at the visa in yer passport - stamped "Pommie" right? My passport sez "Aussie".
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:04 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

The land that is called Australia was known as Terra Australis (southern land) long before its discovery by the west. Don't think the Aboriginals knew it as any such thing until they were told. Didn't even formally become (The Commonwelath of) Australia until 1901. Further Pomie (or more traditionally Pommie) is generally thought to be related to the word Pomegranate and in informed circles has nothing to do with prisoners - search some old threads
Old Feb 17th 2004, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at the visa in yer passport - stamped "Pommie" right? My passport sez "Aussie".

Hit a sore point have we???
Old Feb 17th 2004, 5:44 am
Banned

Hit a sore point have we???
Yeah, drongos make me sore.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:18 am
joem

DUDLEY m English
Pronounced: DUD-lee
From a surname which was originally from a place name meaning "Dudda's clearing" in Old English.

joem

Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:37 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Florida_03
Even by your standards, the tantrum you (and your little mate, the psycho-babbling Mega) are having today against the affable pom-refugee-dreamers seems excessive.

Your inferiority complex seems to be getting the better if you.

Breathe, relax, breathe, relax, breathe......
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:44 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Air conditioning load is a big problem at the moment, one week of hot weather and everyone goes and buys one - the following summer the system can't cope when everyone switches them on. QLD had record demand recently during the Christmas/summer holiday period when normally demand is low. Australia's high poulation density but spread out over distances means it is very expensive to keep up with this situation. This is not a negative post, just the reality of living in a large and hot country. I have had more blackouts in one week here than I ever remember in the UK. Keeping candles and torches in the house is the norm.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:50 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney had the same issues last year but there were brown outs rather than blackouts. I would be on the PC and the bugger kept on shutting down and the lights would flicker and go low.

This year it is much better.