Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job prospects in Perth

Job prospects in Perth

Old Feb 16th 2004, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

stevejohna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job prospects in Perth

Myself and my fiance are just at the beginning of the application process but we are already thinking about where to live. We really like the sound of Perth, but going by some of the posts on Poms in Perth and here it seems some highly skilled people are having a really hard time finding work when they get there. What work there is in my field (engineering) all seems to be out in the sticks or down a hole in the ground!
In contrast to this seems to be Brisbane where there would appear to be an abundance of work.
Is this a true picture of the situation or have I got the wrong idea?
It would be good to hear from anyone experience of this either good or bad. We intend to visit both Perth and Brisbane before deciding and have read all the Perth vs Brisbane threads, but they are not really focussed on employment.

Any advice anyone????
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:38 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Job prospects in Perth

Originally posted by stevejohna
Myself and my fiance are just at the beginning of the application process but we are already thinking about where to live. We really like the sound of Perth, but going by some of the posts on Poms in Perth and here it seems some highly skilled people are having a really hard time finding work when they get there. What work there is in my field (engineering) all seems to be out in the sticks or down a hole in the ground!
In contrast to this seems to be Brisbane where there would appear to be an abundance of work.
It would be good to hear from anyone experience of this either good or bad. We intend to visit both Perth and Brisbane before deciding and have read all the Perth vs Brisbane threads, but they are not really focussed on employment.

Any advice anyone????
Re-Learn everything you were taught about digging sticks.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:28 am
Just Joined

stevejohna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, very helpful.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

graham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura about

Try searching
www.thewest.com.au
The website of the west australian newspaper.
Most jobs in WA are advertised here.

Does anyone know if you can get the west australian in the UK
Borders or somewhere

thanks.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job prospects in Perth

Originally posted by stevejohna

Any advice anyone????
Hiya Steve
I was just wondering what type of engineer you are... that would affect your opportunities. Hubby is applying as an environmental engineer, which is quite niche, but then he's done quite a lot of quality, health and safety etc. so would suit construction (plenty in WA) and mining (also plenty). As far as I can gather, WA isn't so hot on manufacturing engineering... I'm not sure about other parts of Aus. At the moment, we're waiting for visa news before looking further. I've seen a number of jobs advertised, but all request you to have your visa, so I've been hanging on a bit. Although we're also planning on Perth, we're trying to be flexible and would go elsewhere if we had to.
I'm a qualified teacher, so we're thinking that I could work if hubby finds it hard... but I'd rather be around for the kids. What sort of work does your fiancee do?
Good luck,
Larissa