Poms

Old Mar 4th 2003, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Default Poms

Don't you find it insulting to be called a pom? why do some people include pom of pommie in their name !!?
Old Mar 4th 2003, 10:46 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poms

Originally posted by Interested
Don't you find it insulting to be called a pom? why do some people include pom of pommie in their name !!?
If a little thing like that get's to you you really ought to rethink going in the first place. You'll hear far worse and some of it won't be just lighthearted banter.
Old Mar 4th 2003, 11:02 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

The Aussies love the English so much they labeled us with the most abusive name they could think of , I love it winds them to refer to all Brits as Poms and smile at the same time if you are one.
Your Aussie has limited banter but looks down on any Brit who shows weakness its a case of get one in before their clock work gear inside their heads gets in motion.

Old Mar 4th 2003, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

of course the irony is that it's they that are the 'poms' not us..;-)

cheers

richard
Old Mar 4th 2003, 11:11 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by r.bartlett
of course the irony is that it's they that are the 'poms' not us..;-)

cheers

richard
As true as this is the irony is lost on the Aussies they require us as a roll model to look down on , any sporting win over the Poms is repeated on TV twice nightly for a month.
Turned the box on this morning for the news to be greeted with Brum and Villa fans having a go no mention about the score of the match just look at these rabid Poms ,they spent half the news slot on it only time they cover soccer.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 4th 2003 at 11:15 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2003, 11:22 pm
Perthguy1

Originally posted by sully4441
No, surely its a term of endearment? I can think of worse things to be called. For that matter I've probably been called them already. Sticks and stones etc
LMS
ps just 3/4 through a cracking bottle of Wolf Blass, Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon(SE Aus). passed my under a fiver test. On offer a local Sainsbury's. Not a wine snob, but on a boose cruise to france, made a mistake with exchange rates and paid £5 for a bottle of something at a Victoria Wines. The same bottle was over £18 over here. It was superb! But this is a close 2nd.
Hic!
When on special you can pick up a bottle of that for $10

Old Mar 4th 2003, 11:27 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Perthguy1
When on special you can pick up a bottle of that for $10
Us working class have to stump up $6.8 for a beer , whats this grape juice stuff only buy it by the box it comes in bottles too?

Old Mar 4th 2003, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

ps just 3/4 through a cracking bottle of Wolf Blass, Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon(SE Aus). passed my under a fiver test. On offer a local Sainsbury's.
Hic!
About $11 here, sully (although I have seen it as cheap as $9 on special). A nice drop. I used to drink a fair amount of Australian wine when I was still in the UK so it's good to be able to access the full range here. Only trouble is, there's limited choice of other countries' wines and I do miss good quality French wine. You can get it here in Sydney but it's very exxy. Special occasions only!

Back on track, Interested, being called a Pom doesn't worry me at all. The Aussies have difficulty with multi-syllable words and many other nationalities are labelled with nicknames of the shortened variety as well. You just get used to it. They don't do it to offend in my opinion (although I accept that that's not always the case, PB and there are some pretty insular types about who are anti-British...however, I know some people in the UK with similar attitudes. My Australian wife spent 7 years in England tolerating questions from Brits as to the location of her ball and chain; pretty tiresome).
Old Mar 4th 2003, 11:30 pm
Banned

Originally posted by colin
. My Australian wife spent 7 years in England tolerating questions from Brits as to the location of her ball and chain; pretty tiresome).
Good point Pal but the Brits mean it in fun the Aussie walk lopsided because of the Pom chip on their shoulders.

Old Mar 4th 2003, 11:32 pm
Banned

I think they do a yellow labelled one too(said I wasn't a wine snob) Never bought one, far too expensive, about £8 ish a bottle. I'll ask PB to bring me a few over when he returns. Should cost peanuts if the £ keeps falling.
Wrong sum the dollars rising and the pounds falling , you will pay more in pounds unless you have dollars.

Old Mar 4th 2003, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Good point Pal but the Brits mean it in fun the Aussie walk lopsided because of the Pom chip on their shoulders.

I agree that some do but others are pretty open minded. Likewise, I agree that MOST Brits mean it in fun but I have spoken to others who have an irrational hatred (that strong) of Australians. One finally admitted when pressed that his only justification for that was that he found Australians to be arrogant. Another, because they always beat us at cricket. These people were both very insular; had rarely left the town they were born in. I find that the Aussies with the biggest chips on their shoulders about the Brits are those who have done little travelling and have no or little worldly experience. You might tell me that that is a vast majority of them and that would be a fair point, but with the younger generation becoming more mobile, I suspect it will get better over time.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 12:30 am
Banned

Originally posted by colin
I agree that some do but others are pretty open minded. Likewise, I agree that MOST Brits mean it in fun but I have spoken to others who have an irrational hatred (that strong) of Australians. One finally admitted when pressed that his only justification for that was that he found Australians to be arrogant. Another, because they always beat us at cricket. These people were both very insular; had rarely left the town they were born in. I find that the Aussies with the biggest chips on their shoulders about the Brits are those who have done little travelling and have no or little worldly experience. You might tell me that that is a vast majority of them and that would be a fair point, but with the younger generation becoming more mobile, I suspect it will get better over time.
I have some very good Aussie friends who are the salt of the earth and love some banter all in good fun on the other hand I have had to slap the odd Anglophobic who's got out of hand .
I love a wind up but people being abusive in my face means some ones in for education I have no time for I hate Poms Aussies.

Old Mar 5th 2003, 12:51 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I've haven't been called by the name much, when I have I always ask the person if they are a Kiwi, that always gets to them , they say "I'm not a ***** kiwi, I'm an Aussie" and I then say "well if I'm a pom you're a kiwi". Simple answer, that usually shuts them up.

Calling someone a pom here can be taken either way, it depends on the manner in which it is used. It can be used as an insult, also it can be used for friendly endearment . A bit like an Englishperson calling a Scot - Jock, and welsh - Taff , both can be used as an insult, or friendly.

Personally I think it's a wee bit insulting .
They don't shorten the Aborigine word to three letters, when people do shorten it, it is classed as being not PC and it's racist - you won't hear it being shortened on the TV at all, but you'll here Pom and you'll here "Paki" being used when the Pakistani's are playing cricket etc. One rule for themselves, another rule for other people such as the English and Pakistani's which I don't understand.

Calling someone a "Paki" is highly racist in the UK as you probably know, but they use it here in Aus on the TV during the Pakistani cricket matches, but "they" never ever call an aborigine the shortened way on TV - it's racist. Go figure, It's ok to insult other nationalities but it's racist to call your own people names.

cheers
Old Mar 5th 2003, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard

Yes - brits are so polite to foreigners.

I mean what better terms of endearment than to be called

Yank
Frog
Wog
Spik
Paki
Eye-Tie (or Coolie - you seem to like that one)
Chink
N*gger
and many, many more...

Such a green and pleasant land.

MM
Old Mar 5th 2003, 1:59 am
Banned

Originally posted by madmancunian
Yes - brits are so polite to foreigners.

I mean what better terms of endearment than to be called

Yank
Frog
Wog
Spik
Paki
Eye-Tie (or Coolie - you seem to like that one)
Chink
N*gger
and many, many more...

Such a green and pleasant land.

MM
Nice to see your return O mad one and fill the good people in on the aussies nick names for blow ins?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.