Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pommy plumbers!!!

Pommy plumbers!!!

Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

devonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant future
Default Pommy plumbers!!!

hi
I have read many forums about Australia, particularly plumbers complaining about getting their plumbing licenses, and how long it takes to do so. Surely they do not expect to unpack their tools, and start working, without knowing any of the rules and regulations, that Australian plumbers have to abide by.
In the UK we have to complete ACS assessments and be CORGI registered to work on gas, maybe we should implement a licensing system for plumbing! :scared:
I believe in OZ once you get your basic license you can start working for another plumber who is fully qualified.

How many of you British plumbers are now working in Australia fully qualified?
How long did it take? And what was the cost?
I would be grateful to know as I hope to move to sunny OZ in the summer and I will need to get my qualifications.

Cheers Rob
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:49 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Pommy plumbers!!!

Originally Posted by devonfolk
In the UK we have to complete ACS assessments and be CORGI registered to work on gas, maybe we should implement a licensing system for plumbing! :scared:
Doesn't the UK have a licensing system for plumbing?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:17 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pommy plumbers!!!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Doesn't the UK have a licensing system for plumbing?
no neither does it have a licensing system for sparkies which to my mind is even worse
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve`o
no neither does it have a licensing system for sparkies which to my mind is even worse
The U.K does have new regs regarding electrics that came into force in Jan 2005.

Even as a householder there is virtually nothing you can undertake without qualifications. I work for a big DIY retailer installing their products and a test certificate has to be issued whenever any electrical work is done.

Whats more in 2007 there are new laws coming into effect where you will have to get a certificate for any home improvements, e.g fitted bathroom. These certificates will have to be passed on when you sell your house. You can run but you cannot hide - lol.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:36 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
The U.K does have new regs regarding electrics that came into force in Jan 2005.

Even as a householder there is virtually nothing you can undertake without qualifications. I work for a big DIY retailer installing their products and a test certificate has to be issued whenever any electrical work is done.

Whats more in 2007 there are new laws coming into effect where you will have to get a certificate for any home improvements, e.g fitted bathroom. These certificates will have to be passed on when you sell your house. You can run but you cannot hide - lol.
sorry your talking bollocks
or what is known in the trade as part P certification

a basically good idea that was completely and utterly f**ked up by the present government

the idea was that all electrical work had to certificated and be reported to your local council, where it has gone wrong was that to gain part P certification you have to attend a 3 day course on part P
the ONLY stipulation to going on this course is that you pay the fee and turn up, you DO NOT have to any training electrical or otherwise to attend

so guess whats happened? kitchen fitters bedroom fitters and all sorts of "handyman" type people have been attending the courses and attaining the paperwork which allows them to sign off electrical work in the domestic environment

like i said at the start its bollocks

my qualifications to say this before you ask
City & Guilds 136 A&B Electrical Installation
City & Guilds 240 Electrical Design
National Inspection Council approved contractor
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

a basically good idea that was completely and utterly f**ked up by the present government

the idea was that all electrical work had to certificated and be reported to your local council, where it has gone wrong was that to gain part P certification you have to attend a 3 day course on part P
the ONLY stipulation to going on this course is that you pay the fee and turn up, you DO NOT have to any training electrical or otherwise to attend

so guess whats happened? kitchen fitters bedroom fitters and all sorts of "handyman" type people have been attending the courses and attaining the paperwork which allows them to sign off electrical work in the domestic environment

Why the hostilities.

It still has regs even if they are not being implemented too well. I dont care what qualifications you have and was not going to ask. You still cannot undertake the work I do without the extra certificate in inspection and testing. I am not an electrician anyway and was just making a comment.

Must meet for a drink sometime, you sound areally nice guy.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:43 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Pommy plumbers!!!

Good grief, that's insane! Talk about a cowboy's paradise! :scared:

No wonder I can never find a good one when I need one.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

here here my good man. the reg here in the UK need looking at and quickly before some wanna be elctrician with about as much know how as my frickin nan goes and kills some poor family due to his lack of real electrical knowledge. 3 day course my arse, took me 4 years of collage and training to get to what i call an electrician and you get these dumb ass people who do a 3 week course and think there of the same standard..................who would you trust your life with eh.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:49 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
Why the hostilities.

It still has regs even if they are not being implemented too well. I dont care what qualifications you have and was not going to ask. You still cannot undertake the work I do without the extra certificate in inspection and testing. I am not an electrician anyway and was just making a comment.

Must meet for a drink sometime, you sound areally nice guy.
didnt realise that it came over as hostile to you mate ( not the intention )

its just a total pis**r when you attend college for 6 years to see people who havn`t got a clue ( electrically ) getting around the regulations and certifying electrical installations as safe because the authorities that implemented part P didn't have the common sense to make it mandatory to for all applicants re part P to be a qualified electricians

rant over

i take it your last line was said tongue in cheek
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

didnt realise that it came over as hostile to you mate ( not the intention )

its just a total pis**r when you attend college for 6 years to see people who havn`t got a clue ( electrically ) getting around the regulations and certifying electrical installations as safe because the authorities that implemented part P didn't have the common sense to make it mandatory to for all applicants re part P to be a qualified electricians

rant over

i take it your last line was said tongue in cheek
It was tounge in cheek Steve and no offence, I know how it is - cheers James.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

devonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant future

blimmey i only mentioned regs and look what happens!!!!!!
but that does 'nt answer of my questions about plumbing
rob
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:07 pm
Fighting my corner

Talking Re: Pommy plumbers!!!

rob
It's always the way!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's always the way!
so why are you ex-Australia Vash????
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:10 pm
Worongary

rob
from what i understand rob its similar to getting a sparkies licence which is a bit of a nightmare
both have to be applied for via your local saftey office
( i`ll look in my aus file, as info for plumbers was in with the sparkies stuff ) back shortley

regards steve
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:13 pm
Worongary

from what i understand rob its similar to getting a sparkies licence which is a bit of a nightmare
both have to be applied for via your local saftey office
( i`ll look in my aus file, as info for plumbers was in with the sparkies stuff ) back shortley

regards steve

http://www.lgp.qld.gov.au/docs/build...or_licence.pdf

try this rob

regards steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.