Pommie Moments

Old Mar 9th 2004, 8:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The 2 other driving things that are weird, besides the traffic lights, are - turning left across a pedestrian crossing when its showing green for pedestrians. I always get nervous as the car edges slowly towards me, even though I know I'm crossing quite legally! And the other one - which I think is only in Victoria - is when a car turning right pulls in at the LEFT side of the road, while indicating right, to wait for a gap in which to actually make the turn. Very odd!
Old Mar 9th 2004, 8:31 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Pollyana
And the other one - which I think is only in Victoria - is when a car turning right pulls in at the LEFT side of the road, while indicating right, to wait for a gap in which to actually make the turn. Very odd!
ah- that will be the infamous 'HOOK' turn. Haven't noticed it, or taken stock of it, myself yet.

badge

Old Mar 9th 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
And the other one - which I think is only in Victoria - is when a car turning right pulls in at the LEFT side of the road, while indicating right, to wait for a gap in which to actually make the turn. Very odd!
That only happens at a few intersections in the city in Melbourne. It's because of the tram tracks - you cannot wait on the right to make your turn in case a tram comes along. You wait on the extreme left instead and turn when the lights have changed.

I think it's easier to avoid the intersections altogether than risk doing one of those turns!
Old Mar 9th 2004, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's easier to avoid the intersections altogether than risk doing one of those turns! [/QUOTE]

My advice exactly and I grew up driving in Melbourne - still hate those bl*ody junctions!
Old Mar 9th 2004, 9:49 pm
Goodpubmisser

I was in a clothes shop in central Sydney and a young Pom was trying to buy FlipFlops. I leant forward and said "He means thongs". The shop assistant's face lit up.

For good measure I added "By the way, swimming trunks are Bathers in Melbourne and Swimmers in Sydney". To this my girlfriend added "They are Togs in Brisbane". The young Pom said "Thanks, that was what I was going to buy next".

All in a days work I suppose.

Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The funniest thing is to go back to the UK and say to someone that you wore your thongs to go down the shops/the movies/MacDonalds/wherever.......the reaction ranges from polite puzzlement to absolute horror!!!
Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:30 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Pommie Moments

For example, given that the windscreen wiper and headlight/indicator stick are on opposite sides in Oz compared to UK, I have been known when intending to flash my lights at the idiot who has just cut me up to instead spray my windscreen with washer fluid, thereby looking like a moron. I also have a habit as the rain starts to start indicating wildly... [/QUOTE]

Fantastic. Very funny. Need more!!!

Puk2oz

Old Mar 10th 2004, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

jodie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say the bit about overseas is very funny, my fiance just cannot get over the fact that I use this term rather than abroad.

been an aussie and living here for the past four years, i have adopted a number of non-aussie slang terms. crisps are now crisps and not chips.

and the cinema is no longer "the movies" which I got slagged (or paid out as they say at home) from my aussie friends back home

Originally posted by MeganEkno
If it makes you feel better, there is an Aussie driving around London doing exactly the same thing (well I used to)!!
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Im already getting my girls use to ,textas ,icebloks,chips all the things I stubbled over when I moved to the UK 14 years ago !!!
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jodie

and the cinema is no longer "the movies" which I got slagged (or paid out as they say at home) from my aussie friends back home
Why did they do that? I thought you went to the cinema to see a movie (or film as we say in UK). Hoyts is referred to as a cinema in NSW (www.hoyts.com.au)
Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

When working for a company in NSW, after lunch we all would go outside for a ciggie or two.

The boss turned up one time and said "Bloody hell, you can spot the pom easy enough!"

All the aussies were sitting in the shade, and sun-starved me was basking in the glorious sun (mad dogs and englishmen???)