Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pommie-Bashing - Aussie Prof says they like us!

Wikiposts

Pommie-Bashing - Aussie Prof says they like us!

Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:55 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is actually a really interesting aspect of the traditional aussie/kiwi male psyche.

When 'real' men from downunder get together, there's very little polite conversation. Most of is it insulting banter towards each other, oneupmanship. This is perhaps a common male trait anywhere, but I think die hard aussie/kiwi 'men' express their love for one another with abuse and insults. Immature and pathetic.... yes, but it's generally read as a mark of respect.

Again completely different from middle class UK politeness
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:35 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by jandjuk
I think this is actually a really interesting aspect of the traditional aussie/kiwi male psyche.

When 'real' men from downunder get together, there's very little polite conversation. Most of is it insulting banter towards each other, oneupmanship. This is perhaps a common male trait anywhere, but I think die hard aussie/kiwi 'men' express their love for one another with abuse and insults. Immature and pathetic.... yes, but it's generally read as a mark of respect.

Again completely different from middle class UK politeness
Agreed Jon, we seem to be kindred spirits - must come from the same part of the world I see a subtle change in the UK too. I'm thinking of the countless ads on TV for alcoholic drinks and mobile phones which increasingly show the 'mateyness' side of both males and females. For example the 'have you got a wicked side' inane practical jokes played on each other ads for some vodka drink. It was reported recently that British females in the 18-25 year old age bracket have the highest alcohol consumption in the world - apparently they want equality with their 'lager lout' male counterparts and are starting to 'drink them under the table' in their quest.

TennisOz

Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:43 pm
Badge

Originally posted by tennisoz
Agreed Jon, we seem to be kindred spirits - must come from the same part of the world I see a subtle change in the UK too. I'm thinking of the countless ads on TV for alcoholic drinks and mobile phones which increasingly show the 'mateyness' side of both males and females. For example the 'have you got a wicked side' inane practical jokes played on each other ads for some vodka drink. It was reported recently that British females in the 18-25 year old age bracket have the highest alcohol consumption in the world - apparently they want equality with their 'lager lout' male counterparts and are starting to 'drink them under the table' in their quest.

TennisOz
some interesting perspectives. The Aussie banter mentioned by JJ I find amusing and harmless. There's no malice there. (If people didn't banter then you know you have a problem.) They've been dong it for years. Anyone who plays team sports etc will be used to it.

TennisOz : know what you mean - this is getting worse, and sometimes you feel that it is moving away from good natured banter to a more cynical age.

I suppose there's a fine line between banter and an encouragement to be a oaf. In the context of what JJ said: for what it's worth I think Australian men have it right. Under that exterior you often find a heart of gold.

As JJ says "Middle class" people in England though are encouraged to be oafs which is sad. All part of the late 90s/ early 00s 'dumb down' culture?

My old dear always said that the problem with feminism is that it encourages women to want to be like the worst men.

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Nov 5th 2003 at 9:55 pm.

Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:57 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by rachels
No! Professor Carl Bridge was one of my tutors at the Universty of London and he is definitely Australian!
Thanks Rachel, it's my quirky Aussie humour, I was joking of course that you would have to be English to write comparatively nice things about the English How was Prof Bridge as a tutor?

TennisOz

Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't you give LICENCE demerit points as well while you are at it

TennisOz
My Webster lies?

New York Times headline:

"You dumb yanks are spelling license wrong, English expert says"

What did Benny Hill say about ASSUME?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:54 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by Modigliana
My Webster lies?

New York Times headline:

"You dumb yanks are spelling license wrong, English expert says"

What did Benny Hill say about ASSUME?
No, a licence is a legal authority to do something, to license is the act of giving a licence.

TennisOz

Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point

No, a licence is a legal authority to do something, to license is the act of giving a licence.

TennisOz
Boy you are persistent. My webster does not have an entry for licence...what should I do?

It does however have:

License:
1 a : permission to act b : freedom of action
2 a : a permission granted by competent authority to engage in a business or occupation or in an activity otherwise unlawful b : a document, plate, or tag evidencing a license granted.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:13 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by Modigliana
Boy you are persistent. My webster does not have an entry for licence...what should I do?

It does however have:

License:
1 a : permission to act b : freedom of action
2 a : a permission granted by competent authority to engage in a business or occupation or in an activity otherwise unlawful b : a document, plate, or tag evidencing a license granted.
We'll forget it. I've got a Collins!

TennisOz

Old Nov 6th 2003, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rachel, it's my quirky Aussie humour, I was joking of course that you would have to be English to write comparatively nice things about the English How was Prof Bridge as a tutor?

TennisOz

I know! I realised that about 30 seconds after I submitted, don't I feel a dolt now

Carl (as we "cool" postgrads called him) was very nice if a little unexciting. Still, he knew his stuff and was very well respected, unlike me now.

Have to say as well that Badgers comment about feminism (via a woman I should add) made my hair stand on end!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:25 pm
Carol in Oz

Default Re: Pommie-Bashing - Aussie Prof says they like us!

Originally posted by young_lad
Okay, so I recently posted about the pommie-bashing that's getting a higher profile of late.

I mentioned the fact that the guy who effectively grounded Concorde was Australian (Chief Exec BA), and about the Aussie rugby player who said the English were arrogant (something about us 'even wearing red coats into battle'), but apparently...... they like us really.

...at least so says Professor Carl Bridge of the Australian Studies Centre.

BBC article

(Not sure what there was to dislike about us anyway ...)

(Disclaimer: The Professor lectures at King's College London)

Aussie daughter was at the races in Sydney on Melbourne Cup Day with partner and others. Sitting at a table by herself for a while she was joined by 5 male Brit backpackers. Having a chat about the UK - my mums from London etc etc, the boyfriend reappears. Daughter then says 'oh you've just gotta love the poms dont ya'. Boyfriend went ballistic.
Some of us love us and some of us dont!!!
Carol NSW

Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:45 pm
tennisoz

Default Re: Pommie-Bashing - Aussie Prof says they like us!

Originally posted by Carol_in Oz
Aussie daughter was at the races in Sydney on Melbourne Cup Day with partner and others. Sitting at a table by herself for a while she was joined by 5 male Brit backpackers. Having a chat about the UK - my mums from London etc etc, the boyfriend reappears. Daughter then says 'oh you've just gotta love the poms dont ya'. Boyfriend went ballistic.
Some of us love us and some of us dont!!!
Carol NSW
Ah the Aussie male species gets very protective of its territory (and mate), especially when threatened by 5 Poms. Tiger snakes, funnel web spiders etc OK but Poms!

TennisOz

Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Default Poms-V-Ozzies

I reckon its just down to this==

You only take the urine out of your mates-cos you can't be bothered to talk to your enemies.