Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A policy Blair would have been proud of..

A policy Blair would have been proud of..

Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice
Default Re: A policy Blair would have been proud of..

Originally Posted by MattW82
Are you sure you're not working for immigration in the UK? We seem to have a huge number of dubious asylum seekers and illegal immigrants. How you can possibly think this is a good thing is totally beyond me.
It is an additional stream of immigrants.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by hippyboy1
It is an additional stream of immigrants.
Most of whom bring nothing to the country whilst sponging off the state. Marvellous.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: A policy Blair would have been proud of..

No, however I think the point in which we differ boils down to me thinking that although someone came in under false pretenses, 'broke the rules', queue jumped....whatever, I believe that person should be given a chance to stay.
Why?

I also believe that allowing queue jumpers to stay fulfills an important role-this place needs labou, people who qualify for little else other than a factory job are in fact in short supply.
This place needs skilled labour. Unskilled labour is not in demand, and people who qualify for little else other than a factory job are not in short supply. Many illegal immigrants (if not most) tend to be unskilled workers - often from poor countries with poor education systems.

This place does not need large numbers of illegal immigrants clogging up the system and slowing down the applications of legitimate migrants and legitimate asylum seekers.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: A policy Blair would have been proud of..

Heres the truth-very few asylum claims are genuine...very very few indeed. often its the bad guys that rock up and claim to be the very people they were persecuting.
This is an excellent reason for maintaining tight immigration controls and screening out false asylum seekers.

The flaws in the system that Vash has so much faith in are amazing-white bread public servants haven't a clue how to ascertain genuine refugee status-
Remember the Bakhtiyari fiasco?

Ali Bakhtiyari's claim to asylum was rejected by two governments - British and Australian - on the grounds that it was fraudulent (Bakhtiyari had claimed to be an Afghan refugee, but was in fact an illegal immigrant from Pakistan).

Evidence was collected from a multitude of sources, and investigations carried out not only by the DIMIA but also by various media bodies, including the Age newspaper (which sent a reporter to Afghanistan, where he visited the village in which Ali Bakhtiyari had claimed to live).

All investigations were unanimous in their finding that Ali Bakhtiyari's claims were false; and finally, Bakhtiyari admitted it himself:

CHARKH, AFGHANISTAN
Ali Bakhtiyari, the refugee accused of having fraudulently obtained a temporary protection visa, has admitted to the The Age that he spent two years in the Pakistani city of Quetta before paying people smugglers thousands of dollars to get him to Australia.

His admission comes after extensive inquiries in the Uruzgan village of Charkh, where Mr Bakhtiyari claimed he lived before fleeing the Taliban in March, 1998, failed to find any evidence that he or his wife, Roqia, ever lived there.

A two-week Age investigation in Afghanistan has found that Mr Bakhtiyari has not lived in Charkh or its surrounding district and most likely lived in Iran for some time with his mother and brother, who moved there in the late 1990s.
Source.

So don't sit there and tell me that "white bread public servants haven't a clue how to ascertain genuine refugee status", because it's simply not true.

and the idea that 'time-wasters' clog the system is nonsense.
No, it's proven fact. Someone with a false claim that drags on for months (or even years) because they deliberately fight the authorities all the way, is clearly clogging the system.

Look at the Bakhtiyari case:

The Bakhtiyaris, the Afghan refugee family deported after a four-year battle over Australian migration law, has disowned the tactics of their supporters and apologised to the Federal Government for the bitterness of the battle.

Inviting the ABC's Lateline program to meet them in the Pakistani city of Lahore, teenagers Alamdar and Montazar Bakhtiyari said they had a message for Canberra.

Alamdar said: "First of all, I would like to say sorry to the Government. It was the advocates, all the lawyers who were forcing us to fight against the Government, they used our family but they didn't help us at all.

"On behalf of my family, I would like to say they have nothing to do with us any more and if anything is going on, we'd like to negotiate with the Government as a family."

The family were deported from Australia to Pakistan on December 30 last year.
Source.

You see that? The Bakhtiyaris were false asylum seekers, but they tied up the courts for four years! If that's not a case of "timewasters clogging the system", what is?

I'm glad that the sons apologised, though. At least they had some decency, unlike their lying father.

Australia needs people from the third world and I don't feel it matters whether they are claiming victim status or not-or what their skill set is either.
Why does Australia need people from the third world regardless of their skill set? And why the third world specifically?

Look at the Greeks and Italians or even the ten pound Poms, they were let in with no particular skills at all-they all have done really well.
This was in the post-war years, when unskilled labour was in demand, and skilled workers were not a priority. It was also a very different era, in which skilled work was not as sophisticated as it is today (no computers, high-level electronics, etc.) and career migration was arguably easier.

Nevertheless, as time went on, the "open door" policy began to reveal its flaws. Many unskilled immigrants ended up in depressed areas with high unemployment rates because they had no skills to offer.

Subiaco (to take just one example) stagnated for decades, and was largely dilapidated until its revival by private investment and the influence of neighbouring suburbs. But many suburbs of Western Sydney still languish in poverty and high unemployment; the legacies of poorly regulated immigration during the 70s and 80s.

American for hundreds of years essentially let in anyone at all and it hasn't held it back.
Are you kidding? Have you any idea about the scale of poverty and deprivation in the US?

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jun 27th 2008 at 6:15 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:03 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
If you are an anarchist then please let us know: it would save a lot of time ,g>
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
This is an excellent reason for maintaining tight immigration controls and screening out false asylum seekers.

Remember the Bakhtiyari fiasco?

Ali Bakhtiyari's claim to asylum was rejected by two governments - British and Australian - on the grounds that it was fraudulent (Bakhtiyari had claimed to be an Afghan refugee, but was in fact an illegal immigrant from Pakistan).

Evidence was collected from a multitude of sources, and investigations carried out not only by the DIMIA but also by various media bodies, including the Age newspaper (which sent a reporter to Afghanistan, where he visited the village in which Ali Bakhtiyari had claimed to live).

All investigations were unanimous in their finding that Ali Bakhtiyari's claims were false; and finally, Bakhtiyari admitted it himself:

CHARKH, AFGHANISTAN
Ali Bakhtiyari, the refugee accused of having fraudulently obtained a temporary protection visa, has admitted to the The Age that he spent two years in the Pakistani city of Quetta before paying people smugglers thousands of dollars to get him to Australia.

His admission comes after extensive inquiries in the Uruzgan village of Charkh, where Mr Bakhtiyari claimed he lived before fleeing the Taliban in March, 1998, failed to find any evidence that he or his wife, Roqia, ever lived there.

A two-week Age investigation in Afghanistan has found that Mr Bakhtiyari has not lived in Charkh or its surrounding district and most likely lived in Iran for some time with his mother and brother, who moved there in the late 1990s.
Source.

So don't sit there and tell me that "white bread public servants haven't a clue how to ascertain genuine refugee status", because it's simply not true.

No, it's proven fact. Someone with a false claim that drags on for months (or even years) because they deliberately fight the authorities all the way, is clearly clogging the system.

Look at the Bakhtiyari case:

The Bakhtiyaris, the Afghan refugee family deported after a four-year battle over Australian migration law, has disowned the tactics of their supporters and apologised to the Federal Government for the bitterness of the battle.

Inviting the ABC's Lateline program to meet them in the Pakistani city of Lahore, teenagers Alamdar and Montazar Bakhtiyari said they had a message for Canberra.

Alamdar said: "First of all, I would like to say sorry to the Government. It was the advocates, all the lawyers who were forcing us to fight against the Government, they used our family but they didn't help us at all.

"On behalf of my family, I would like to say they have nothing to do with us any more and if anything is going on, we'd like to negotiate with the Government as a family."

The family were deported from Australia to Pakistan on December 30 last year.
Source.

You see that? The Bakhtiyaris were false asylum seekers, but they tied up the courts for four years! If that's not a case of "timewasters clogging the system", what is?

I'm glad that the sons apologised, though. At least they had some decency, unlike their lying father.

Why does Australia need people from the third world regardless of their skill set? And why the third world specifically?

This was in the post-war years, when unskilled labour was in demand, and skilled workers were not a priority. It was also a very different era, in which skilled work was not as sophisticated as it is today (no computers, high-level electronics, etc.) and career migration was arguably easier.

Nevertheless, as time went on, the "open door" policy began to reveal its flaws. Many unskilled immigrants ended up in depressed areas with high unemployment rates because they had no skills to offer.

Subiaco (to take just one example) stagnated for decades, and was largely dilapidated until its revival by private investment and the influence of neighbouring suburbs. But many suburbs of Western Sydney still languish in poverty and high unemployment; the legacies of poorly regulated immigration during the 70s and 80s.

Are you kidding? Have you any idea about the scale of poverty and deprivation in the US?
To be honest, this is thinly veiled racism, white Australia policy style, really. Paul Hansonism wrapped in a token liberalism.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, this is thinly veiled racism, white Australia policy style, really. Paul Hansonism wrapped in a token liberalism.
If you like immigrants so much why don't you go and live in Pakistan or Somalia?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, perhaps that was a bit harsh, the point i am trying to make is that to you multiculturalism seems to be a neccessary evil-justifiable on economic or moral grounds-in your ideal world everyone would be picture-perfect white middle class 'decent folk'.
For me multiculturalism is the ideal, I like those ethnic suburbs that you would describe as economically backward (not true but anyway), I like the variety-your ideal world would bore me senseless-its why I left Surrey for Sydney.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NedKelly
If you like immigrants so much why don't you go and live in Pakistan or Somalia?
That makes zero sense, totally stupid-as if Somalia is full of immigrants-if one likes immigrants Australia would be the ideal destination-I think you were politely using the word immigrants as a subsitute for 'darkies' or something.

If you don't like immigrants why did you become one.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I like the variety-your ideal world would bore me senseless-its why I left Surrey for Sydney.
You didn't need to come all the way to Sydney. You could have moved to East London or South London or pretty much anywhere in England. You will find illegal immigrants, asylum seekers by the plenty and even a few legal immigrants as well. There are more economically backward people there than in Sydney.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you don't like immigrants why did you become one.
I do like immigrants, just not the same ones that you like.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You didn't need to come all the way to Sydney. You could have moved to East London or South London or pretty much anywhere in England. You will find illegal immigrants, asylum seekers by the plenty and even a few legal immigrants as well. There are more economically backward people there than in Sydney.
As if that comment implied that multiculturalism was the only reason I came here-I think you need to look at the real reason s behind your rabid racism-what is it yuo fear so much.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:31 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

No, however I think the point in which we differ boils down to me thinking that although someone came in under false pretenses, 'broke the rules', queue jumped....whatever, I believe that person should be given a chance to stay. I also believe that allowing queue jumpers to stay fulfills an important role-this place needs labou, people who qualify for little else other than a factory job are in fact in short supply.
I think it's immoral to suggest that false claimants should get priority over bona fide asylum seeks just because they jump the queue.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I think it's immoral to suggest that false claimants should get priority over bona fide asylum seeks just because they jump the queue.
i did'nt suggest that-I said they should be given achance-not ahead of genuine claimants.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 5:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

i did'nt suggest that-I said they should be given achance-not ahead of genuine claimants.
Australia already has, according to some figures, between 1.5 and 2 times the longterm sustainable population. That obviously depends on living standards etc.

*Longterm* means just that: in the short term by flogging off all the commodities we can import food and other essentials but that's not sustainability.

The global population is going to have to go down quite dramatically for the planet to have longterm sustainability: expect to see hundreds of millions and into the billions perishing through starvation, disease and wars before we have an equilibrium situation. And within the lifetime of your children, too - possibly within mine too.

There are quite literally billions who would migrate to Australia or other countries for economic reasons and probably hundreds of millions who would come within genuine refugee status. Clearly the numbers don't add up.

Survival, not comfort, is going to be the word in the near future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.