Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A policy Blair would have been proud of..

A policy Blair would have been proud of..

Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:13 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default A policy Blair would have been proud of..

We're not entitled to welfare until we reach our 2 year threshold but people who are staying here illegally are.

It seems to me that possibly Rudd == Blair?

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...53-953,00.html
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A policy Blair would have been proud of..

I think the dick brain gets all his ideas from Bliar. If Captain Earwax Krudd brings this in then Australia will be a magnet for illegals just as the UK is now.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 5:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

And so it begins.......
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:21 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...25/2285767.htm

Laugh?

Good old Kev, he'll save the world.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

Just something I've observed in my time in Oz:
Under no circumstances read the news.com website. They are the most sensationalist "news" (and I use the term loosely) site on the net. The equivalent of the Daily Mail in my opinion. They will tell you how immigrants will come over and rape our children and steal our jobs and we'll all have to convert to Islam. House prices are to fall by 60% on one page, with another story about how housing affordability is to decrease even more as home prices rise by a huge margin on another. They really do just play on peoples worst fears, and frankly, reading the comments that people post on their comments page shows how they really do hype things up to suit the lowest common denominator of society.:curse:

Not that I'm saying there is absolutely no grain of truth somewhere in the story, only that the way it is reported probably bears little resemblance to the truth. The will often state that something is going to happen as the headline, then include phrases like "considering a plan to" or "would not rule out completely" in the story. Hardly the same thing. I wrote to them numerous times about the inaccuracies and sensationalism in their reporting, but never got any reply, funnily enough. In the end I simply deleted them from my favourites and added the ABC news site and have never looked back.

Please please please, if you want to be informed about what is going on in Oz, read the ABC news website. It's about as good as you can get here. Of course, if you're the sort of person who believed everything the Daily Mail or The Sun put out, then feel free to keep reading news.com. You'll end up with an ulcer from all the worrying you'll do over things that will probably never happen, and I doubt you'll be able to get an appointment at the doctors because Kevin Rudd will be there personally putting all those illegal immigrants at the head of the queue using your tax dollars..........
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:52 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

And the bastard has made us all fatter than the yanks. When will it all stop!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:37 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: A policy Blair would have been proud of..

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana
Just something I've observed in my time in Oz:
Under no circumstances read the news.com website. They are the most sensationalist "news" (and I use the term loosely) site on the net. The equivalent of the Daily Mail in my opinion. They will tell you how immigrants will come over and rape our children and steal our jobs and we'll all have to convert to Islam. House prices are to fall by 60% on one page, with another story about how housing affordability is to decrease even more as home prices rise by a huge margin on another. They really do just play on peoples worst fears, and frankly, reading the comments that people post on their comments page shows how they really do hype things up to suit the lowest common denominator of society.:curse:
That's because news.com.au is a Murdoch propaganda outlet.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: A policy Blair would have been proud of..

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
We're not entitled to welfare until we reach our 2 year threshold
Which is as it should be. After all, you did enter Australia with the intention of working, didn't you?

but people who are staying here illegally are.
No, they are not. This is merely a proposal; it is not current law. It may not even become law at any stage.

But let's take a closer look at it anyway:

The proposal will mostly apply to illegal immigrants on tourist visas who fly into the country and then claim asylum when ordered to leave, rather than the stereotype of people who arrive on leaky boats.
In other words, it would mostly apply to a tiny proportion of illegal immigrants; not to the "boat people" who arrive en masse. They would also pay taxes if they found a job, which I'm sure nobody here will complain about.

Additionally:

But Immigration Minister Chris Evans intends to speed-up the appeals process and close the loophole that enables some illegal immigrants to remain in the country for years while seeking numerous judicial reviews.
Which means that they would be kicked out sooner than they currently are.

Blair never had the guts to do anything like that.

It seems to me that possibly Rudd == Blair?
No.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jun 25th 2008 at 10:46 am.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:49 am
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: A policy Blair would have been proud of..

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I think the dick brain gets all his ideas from Bliar.
Yeah, like opposing the war on Iraq and withdrawing our troops. Just like Blair!

Oh wait... that's not like Blair at all.

If Captain Earwax Krudd brings this in then Australia will be a magnet for illegals just as the UK is now.
No, it won't. Read the proposal closely. They'll have less time to claim asylum, they'll be kicked out faster if their claims aren't successful, and only a tiny percentage of them will be eligible to claim the dole.

This proposal would not accommodate the floods of boat people.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

There's no point Vash. People read the headline and it's enough to make their minds up on and have an "informed" opinion.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:55 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: A policy Blair would have been proud of..

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana
There's no point Vash. People read the headline and it's enough to make their minds up on and have an "informed" opinion.
It's the tabloid mentality.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Which is as it should be. After all, you did enter Australia with the intention of working, didn't you?
So what. The point is that anybody on a 136, who's already jumped through ten times more hoops than an illegal immigrant, would be entitled to feel aggrieved.

No, they are not. This is merely a proposal; it is not current law. It may not even become law at any stage.
Oh, well that's alright then. I mean, the public have no cause for concern about their elective representatives making ludicrous, unfair 'proposals' which are to the 'proposed' detriment of it's legitimate inhabitants.

How would you feel if Gordon Brown 'proposed' to declare war on France?

But let's take a closer look at it anyway:

The proposal will mostly apply to illegal immigrants on tourist visas who fly into the country and then claim asylum when ordered to leave, rather than the stereotype of people who arrive on leaky boats.
In other words, it would mostly apply to a tiny proportion of illegal immigrants; not to the "boat people" who arrive en masse. They would also pay taxes if they found a job, which I'm sure nobody here will complain about.

Additionally:

But Immigration Minister Chris Evans intends to speed-up the appeals process and close the loophole that enables some illegal immigrants to remain in the country for years while seeking numerous judicial reviews.
Which means that they would be kicked out sooner than they currently are.

Blair never had the guts to do anything like that.
This is such an incredibly narrow minded view point in begs belief.

History shows us that illegal immigrants look for the countries that offer the cosiest life. That means benefits to most.

Why do you think the UK has it's current epidemic of a multitude of divided cultures. We've always had one of the softest welfare states in the world. This is why thousand upon thousands of migrants go to the trouble of passing through numerous other EU nations to cling onto to a EuroStar train, or stow away in a lorry at Calais.

And this is the whole point. ANY concession towards potential illegal immigrants, will only make a country more attractive to their radar. That means, more illegal immigrants.

The fact that it uses tax payers money, just adds to the insult.

No matter how many left wing, shallow minded idealists refute the OP's insinuations, let me ask you one thing. Put it to the people. Gage public opinion next time you're in the pub, or at a dinner party.

It's common sense, and held strongly in the hearts of the majority citizens and PR's.

I only hope that it's that public opinion that will carry enough momentum to drive this Labor farce out sooner rather than later. Otherwise, like in the UK, it will all end in tears.

Last edited by Bazza Boy; Jun 25th 2008 at 11:44 am.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:55 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Which is as it should be. After all, you did enter Australia with the intention of working, didn't you?.
It's exactly as it should be and I never made any mention of anything to the contrary.

As for it not currently being law I was quite aware of that fact too.

Time will judge Mr. Rudd and his performance and I don't think that either of our opinions count for very much at present but this proposed policy has a "smell" to it that seems familiar to me.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:32 am
Just Joined

cazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
It's common sense, and held strongly in the hearts of the majority citizens and PR's..
Oh yes, here we go again. The demon illegal immigrant. How dare they wish a better life for themselves. Well I hope you never find yourself in the situation where you are forced to leave your country of birth because of war/famine/poverty. And it is quite wrong to suggest that most illegal immigrants chose the country which offers the 'cosiest life.' Most - in fact - the majority of illegal immigrants chose the country where it will be easiest for them to find work (illegal or otherwise) because they plan to send money home to support their families. Anyway, isn't an aspect of emigrating to Oz partly because we want a cosier life? Bigger house, better work/life balance etc....?

Out of interest, I wonder how many Brits are living in Oz illegally? Quite a few I suspect, but I am guessing they would not be classed with the same amount of disregard as the immigrants that are being referred to here.

Me personally, I count my blessings that I was born where I was because it is paradise compared to other places and the choices we have are enviable to a lot of people who wouldn't even get a whiff of the type of opportunities we have in life.

Honestly ask yourself this the next time you want a rant. What would you do if you were in the same position? Sit tight and hope things get better in the future or go out and look for a better life for yourself and your family...? Have you ever met an illegal immigrant and asked them their reasons for doing what they did or do you base your argument purely on the crap written in the gutter press?

One final thing, I can categorically state that your opinion is not 'strongly' held in my heart.

Carol

Last edited by cazzamia; Jun 26th 2008 at 1:47 am.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
So what. The point is that anybody on a 136, who's already jumped through ten times more hoops than an illegal immigrant, would be entitled to feel aggrieved.

Oh, well that's alright then. I mean, the public have no cause for concern about their elective representatives making ludicrous, unfair 'proposals' which are to the 'proposed' detriment of it's legitimate inhabitants.

How would you feel if Gordon Brown 'proposed' to declare war on France?

This is such an incredibly narrow minded view point in begs belief.

History shows us that illegal immigrants look for the countries that offer the cosiest life. That means benefits to most.

Why do you think the UK has it's current epidemic of a multitude of divided cultures. We've always had one of the softest welfare states in the world. This is why thousand upon thousands of migrants go to the trouble of passing through numerous other EU nations to cling onto to a EuroStar train, or stow away in a lorry at Calais.

And this is the whole point. ANY concession towards potential illegal immigrants, will only make a country more attractive to their radar. That means, more illegal immigrants.

The fact that it uses tax payers money, just adds to the insult.

No matter how many left wing, shallow minded idealists refute the OP's insinuations, let me ask you one thing. Put it to the people. Gage public opinion next time you're in the pub, or at a dinner party.

It's common sense, and held strongly in the hearts of the majority citizens and PR's.

I only hope that it's that public opinion that will carry enough momentum to drive this Labor farce out sooner rather than later. Otherwise, like in the UK, it will all end in tears.
So what if this does become the law???
Here is the reality....NO country can totally exclude all people that it doesn't invite, some illegals will arrive.
Once they come what do you do? let them die on the streets.
Ask yourself this-would you look a child in the eye, who came as an 'illegal' with their parents, and had cancer, and say "sorry your going to have to die-you aint Australian" or even "I don't have a problem with you starving to death".
If the answer is no you couldn't do it, then you can't really oppose this proposal.
It is said that the reason some love wealth is to rub it in the faces of the poor-some first-worlders love doing this to third worlders.
Do you blame people from the third world for wanting to come here.

Last edited by hippyboy1; Jun 26th 2008 at 2:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.