Police

Old Oct 30th 2002, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Saffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police

Has anyone joined the police in Western Australia? My fiance is an Australian from Queensland and when we move to Perth, he would like to join the police. Does anyone know how long the process takes to get accepted? Do we have to live in Perth for a minimum amount of time before he can apply?
Old Oct 30th 2002, 11:39 am
UDS
Forum Regular

UDS is an unknown quantity at this point

Head for www.police.gov.wa.au and follow the links to "Recruitment and the Police Academy". All the job requirements are set out there. From a quick glance there is no requirement to have resided in WA for any period of time.

There seems to be a fairly exhaustive process which must take some time (and will take longer if you need to take time out to acquire the necessary competencies in keyboard skills, lifesaving and first aid), after which (if you are successful) you are place in a "pool". They recruit from the pool as needed.

This does suggest that you should not expect to make an application and then be drawing a wage as a trainee police officer two weeks later. At the very least it must take some months, so your fiance will probably want to take some kind of temporary job to keep body and soul together while he pursues this.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

When we looked into it a couple of years ago in SA, I'm sure you had to have citizenship. You may want to double check.
Good luck
Mash...

Originally posted by UDS
Head for www.police.gov.wa.au and follow the links to "Recruitment and the Police Academy". All the job requirements are set out there. From a quick glance there is no requirement to have resided in WA for any period of time.

There seems to be a fairly exhaustive process which must take some time (and will take longer if you need to take time out to acquire the necessary competencies in keyboard skills, lifesaving and first aid), after which (if you are successful) you are place in a "pool". They recruit from the pool as needed.

This does suggest that you should not expect to make an application and then be drawing a wage as a trainee police officer two weeks later. At the very least it must take some months, so your fiance will probably want to take some kind of temporary job to keep body and soul together while he pursues this.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Saffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mashiraz
When we looked into it a couple of years ago in SA, I'm sure you had to have citizenship. You may want to double check.
Good luck
Mash...
My fiance is an Australian Citizen from Queensland, so this shouldn't be a problem.

He is only in the UK on a working visa.

He has studied some law as part of his tertiary qualification, so hopefully this should help and he is ex military.