Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poisonous animals of Australia

Poisonous animals of Australia

Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:57 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poisonous animals of Australia

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The 2006 statistics figure of Road deaths per 100 million vehicle kilometres travelled, for both countries are:

Not that much different...
On the other hand, Aussies manage to achieve the same rates as the UK on roads that are practically empty by comparison.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Burbage
On the other hand, Aussies manage to achieve the same rates as the UK on roads that are practically empty by comparison.
Are you really saying that the Australian roads are empty, and cars therefore go faster in Australia with less traffic jams ? That is a surprise.

Old Jun 18th 2010, 12:30 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

gotta look out for dropbears too...

Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
gotta look out for dropbears too...

http://www.kadaitcha.com/wp-content/.../dropbear1.jpg
I mentioned them earlier but didn't want to scare them all with photos
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

simfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's absolutely deadly here. My oldest daughter was eaten by a shark while surfing. #2 son suffocated by a 3m snake. #2 daughter bitten by a gang of poisonous spiders which grabbed her from behind on her way to school (sneaky buggers that they are she didn't hear them coming up behind her), then one weekend while we were camping the baby was carried off by dingos. The only one of my kids to have survived these last 4 years was the grown up one I left behind.
Hi Dorothy,
Are you serious. Hmm..I'm very scared... Tell will you the truth. Is that exaggerated about the poisonous creatures of Australia. It looks like scary fairy tales. I too received some emails showing pictures of a spider, and after prickling on the thumb, thumb got severe wounds, and bones appearing.

Could anyone provide any official statistics and weblinks please?
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by simfaisal;
Hi Dorothy,
Are you serious. Hmm..I'm very scared... Tell will you the truth. Is that exaggerated about the poisonous creatures of Australia. It looks like scary fairy tales. I too received some emails showing pictures of a spider, and after prickling on the thumb, thumb got severe wounds, and bones appearing.

I'd be surprised if she was serious
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

simfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sushimania
I'd be surprised if she was serious
Hi Sushi,
I would be lucky enough if a spider will bite me, and then I become a spiderman! , always very scared about snakes!, but I do sometimes eat shark fish
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simfaisal
Hi Dorothy,

You are much more likely to be injured or killed in a road accident than by any of the wildlife here. My post was meant as sarcasm.

Honestly, in 4 years here the only remotely venomous thing I have seen was a snake about 18 months ago. And that was laying across the road, flattened by dozens of cars. Of course we have had our share of spiders, but haven't died yet.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You are much more likely to be injured or killed in a road accident than by any of the wildlife here. My post was meant as sarcasm.

Honestly, in 4 years here the only remotely venomous thing I have seen was a snake about 18 months ago. And that was laying across the road, flattened by dozens of cars. Of course we have had our share of spiders, but haven't died yet.
I get so fed up when relatives in the UK bang on about "all the spiders and snakes we live with". Do they REALLY think we would live here with the kids, like hundreds of thousands of other expats, if it was so dangerous??? I don't do much to settle their fears though. If they are that thick that they believe all that crap, its better that they don't come.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We live in semi bushland and see the odd tiger and brown snake, but pretty rare. I work in the outback and very rarely see anything dangerous
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
I get so fed up when relatives in the UK bang on about "all the spiders and snakes we live with". Do they REALLY think we would live here with the kids, like hundreds of thousands of other expats, if it was so dangerous??? I don't do much to settle their fears though. If they are that thick that they believe all that crap, its better that they don't come.
I know. When people back in Canada go on about the spiders and snakes here I remind them of the bears and mountain lions in Canada.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:59 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dorothy,

are we having a blonde moment?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:29 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

How many dangerous spider bites occur in Australia each year? Has anyone died from a bite recently?
There have been no deaths in Australia from a confirmed spider bite since 1979. An effective antivenom for Redback Spiders was introduced in 1956, and one for funnel-web spiders in 1980. These are the only two spiders that have caused deaths in Australia in the past.

A spider bite is not a notifiable medical emergency, so there are no Australia-wide statistics, but the following figures give an idea of the incidence of reported bites in recent years.

Approximately 2000 people are bitten each year by Redback Spiders

Funnel-web spider antivenom has been given to at least 100 patients since 1980. Antivenom is given only when signs of serious envenomation are observed. Many spider bites are 'blank', which means that no venom has been injected.

During 2000 the New South Wales Poisons Information Centre received 4,200 calls about spiders. However not all of these would have involved actual bites. Many reported bites are not able to be identified as definitely being from a spider, and it is nearly impossible to work out what species has caused a bite without seeing a specimen of the spider responsible.

Figures are from: Sutherland, S K and Nolch, G (2000) Dangerous Australian Animals. Hyland House, Flemington, Vic. 201 pp. ISBN 86447 076 3

and from: http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/animalattacks.htm

According to statistics from the Victorian Injury Surveillance Unit, no less than 28,128 Victorians were injured by animals between July 2004 and June 2007, that is nearly 10 000 a year.
Almost 7700 Victorians have been taken to hospital during this time after being attacked by dogs.
Horses were second, killing two people and injuring a further 5628. Mosquito bites also killed two people and sent 256 more to hospital.
Am amazing 9922 Victorians were hurt by creepy-crawlies, including spiders, bees, wasps, ticks, ants, centipedes and even scorpions. Some more unusual statistics: close to 50 Victorians were attacked by monkeys, family pets such as cats, rabbits and guinea pigs injured 1117 people, and 450 people ended up at a hospital with insects stuck in eyes, nose or ears.
Chickens injured another 92, and stingrays over 50 people. Six people had to be treated after encountering ducks and alpacas.
Wombats, kangaroos, wallabies, possums and dingoes were responsible for attacks on 231 people.
And 1153 Victorians were attacked in their sleep or while resting or eating.

92 people sufficiently hurt by a chicken to justify seeing a medical professional? What the hell were they doing to the chicken?

Last edited by DadAgain; Jun 22nd 2010 at 2:35 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

92 people sufficiently hurt by a chicken to justify seeing a medical professional? What the hell were they doing to the chicken?
Were they all hurt by the SAME chicken? Thats one tough bird!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:04 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Seen a few redbacks and dodgy looking snakes around our way in the 3 years we have been living semi-rural.

Nothing major ... keep the grass cut and shake out the boots before poking yer toes in my advice

And yes, I concur with the prevailing mood, a 'ute on yer jacksie is more likely to be your un-doing.