Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poisonous animals of Australia

Poisonous animals of Australia

Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Poisonous animals of Australia

Just two days ago, I met an Australian lady whose father was bitten on his forehead by a redback spider. It was in his hat when he put it on. Scary!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

QLDJo will become famous soon enough

I carried a log in for the fire and cause it was heavy I carried it on my body under my arm, when I chucked it into the fire my husband said look at this, the biggest red back I've ever seen was crawling around on it.
Also I carried an old biscuit of hay to mulch around my plants, again close to my body cause bits where falling off it, well after I put it down a baby king brown came slithering out of it!!!
we own 2 pet pythons but apart from them thats the closest i've been to any snakes.
ps I still carry things close to my body - I really must get out of that habit
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fish.01
And it wouldn't have mattered which state his friend would have been wrong....lots of worse places in the world....unless the world to him just means the UK & Australia
Good point

Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Sea Of Love
I ran out with the horse screaming like a little girl.

This is on a farm though, wouldn't happen in the city.
Not many horses in the city scream like little girls

Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Sea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to all

hmmm punctuation is key.

I ran out, with the horse, screaming like a little girl. (grammar nazi's don't kill me).

The horse would have screamed if she could
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

do we actually mean poisonous or venomous here
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Paula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the rough

Got sent this picture in an email. The slogan was
'WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA, WHERE OUR SPIDERS EAT OUR SNAKES'
Attached Thumbnails Poisonous animals of Australia-redback3.jpg   Poisonous animals of Australia-redback4.jpg  
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Paula31
OMG!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Paula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the rough

OMG!
Yeah, apparently, according to the email, this was inside somebody's office

but what I did forget to mention is that it also said that this is only the second time he had heard of a snake getting stuck in a spider's web, though not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Anyway, from what I've gathered I think it's only people who don't actually live in Australia yet that get the heeby jeebys and make a much bigger issue out of it. From what I've read on BE, once you are there it all becomes part of everyday life and something not to make a big deal out of. Sorry to scare but I thought the pictures were fascinating.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:30 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

When we stayed on the Gold Coast, we saw huge spiders in trees. Can anyone tell me what they were?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paula31
That snake must be miniscule. I see plenty of the little lizards caught in redback webs and that snake can't be any bigger than a lizard, no more than a couple of inches long.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kapri
When we stayed on the Gold Coast, we saw huge spiders in trees. Can anyone tell me what they were?
Probably an ORB spider ...Garden ORG, Golden ORB ..they tend to be quite big in the body but as far as i'm aware apart from giving a bite pretty harmless
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:59 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Plenty of redbacks living around our house - but they leave us alone and we leave them alone.. never a problem.

We've probably had a few snakes come through the yard but I've only ever seen 2 harmless pythons in 12 years.

Biggest problem for us would be paralysis ticks. Our dog has been hospitalised twice and very nearly perished, I picked one up when gardening a few years back and it gave me a sore arm for a week.

If the weather is right (warm and wet) then bushwalking can come with the joy of leeches - which are horrible - but they arent poisonous..... just messy (you get blood everywhere)
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

We have just moved into an old house that obviously hasn't had the pest people round ever. In one month we've seen in the house - 2 huntsmen, 2 white tails, a mouse (now caught) and what sounds like 4 morbidly obese possums in the roof space. Now I'm not bothering to get it fumigated cos I couldn't cope with the hoards of dying creepy crawlies that would literally come out of the woodwork/ducts!! They can stay where they are........

Hubby was showing the kids a pine cone the other day that had been left by someone on a picnic table. Just about to pick it up when I saw the little redback sitting right where his finger was headed.........still learning!!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's absolutely deadly here. My oldest daughter was eaten by a shark while surfing. #2 son suffocated by a 3m snake. #2 daughter bitten by a gang of poisonous spiders which grabbed her from behind on her way to school (sneaky buggers that they are she didn't hear them coming up behind her), then one weekend while we were camping the baby was carried off by dingos. The only one of my kids to have survived these last 4 years was the grown up one I left behind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.