Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupation"?

Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupation"?

Old May 29th 2006, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Toportyu is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupation"?

Dear forum members,

preparing the necessary documents I have a question:

Being an architect (ASCO 2122-11) I have been working as architect (which is my nominated occupation) for more than a year but prior to that I also worked as Quantity Surveyor (ASCO 2121-11) for some other time.
Will I get 10 points for Specific Work Experience including the time I was working as Quantity Surveyor?
What is considered by DIMIA a CLOSELY RELATED OCCUPATION to Architecture - is 'Quantity Surveyor' that? This is in the same minor group (212 Building and Engineering Professionals), just the next one on the ASCO list.

Are there any other Architects in the forum with similar experience as I have? How did you got judged?
Of course I am wish to get answers from any members (not just architects) who has some ideas on this topic!

Cheers,
Toportyu
Old May 29th 2006, 11:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupati

Originally Posted by Toportyu
Dear forum members,

Being an architect (ASCO 2122-11) I have been working as architect (which is my nominated occupation) for more than a year but prior to that I also worked as Quantity Surveyor (ASCO 2121-11) for some other time.
Will I get 10 points for Specific Work Experience including the time I was working as Quantity Surveyor?
What is considered by DIMIA a CLOSELY RELATED OCCUPATION to Architecture - is 'Quantity Surveyor' that? This is in the same minor group (212 Building and Engineering Professionals), just the next one on the ASCO list.

Are there any other Architects in the forum with similar experience as I have? How did you got judged?
Of course I am wish to get answers from any members (not just architects) who has some ideas on this topic!

Cheers,
Toportyu
Absolutely no idea but you might be better served, posting this on the Immigration forum
Old May 30th 2006, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupati

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Absolutely no idea but you might be better served, posting this on the Immigration forum
Many thanks, you are right, already did what you advised.

One last question: how can I delete THIS thread (as it is on the Immigration forum now)?

Thanks, Toportyu
Old May 30th 2006, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all
Default Re: Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupation"?

Dear forum members,

Cheers,
Toportyu
Hi, from what I remember you get points from work experience in any skill so long as it's on the skilled occupations list. We haven't worked in our nominated occupation but got points for work experience in another skill, but it had to be on the SOL.

graham
Old May 30th 2006, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupation"?

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Hi, from what I remember you get points from work experience in any skill so long as it's on the skilled occupations list. We haven't worked in our nominated occupation but got points for work experience in another skill, but it had to be on the SOL.

graham
You are right (hi to you as well!), but you get only 5 points for non closely related but on the SOL work experience. I need all 10 points which I could get if I was working in the past in a closely related occupation (must be on SOL and it has to be a 60 point occupation as well).

Question still remains the same: how DIMIA decide which belongs to the 'closely related' occupations? (in my case and in general) Is there a list somewhere on the net where I can check the closely related occupations to any nominated occupation? Could not find any list about this...

Cheers,
Toportyu
Old May 30th 2006, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

You are right (hi to you as well!), but you get only 5 points for non closely related but on the SOL work experience. I need all 10 points which I could get if I was working in the past in a closely related occupation (must be on SOL and it has to be a 60 point occupation as well).

Question still remains the same: how DIMIA decide which belongs to the 'closely related' occupations? (in my case and in general) Is there a list somewhere on the net where I can check the closely related occupations to any nominated occupation? Could not find any list about this...

Cheers,
Toportyu
Oh i get it now. You are a 60 point occupation. But isn't your 1 year working as an architect sufficient time to get the 10 points? DIMIA book 6 states for a 60 point occupation you must have been working for at least 12 months in the last 18 immediately before applying. Which you have, haven't you?

Graham
Old May 30th 2006, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Oh i get it now. You are a 60 point occupation. But isn't your 1 year working as an architect sufficient time to get the 10 points? DIMIA book 6 states for a 60 point occupation you must have been working for at least 12 months in the last 18 immediately before applying. Which you have, haven't you?

Graham
Yes and no.
12 month out of 18 rule means your 60 point occupation accepted for 60 points. I am fine on this part.
Specific work experience points (a bit down in the Booklet 6) are ADDITIONAL points for working 3 out of 4 years in the nominated or in a closely related (for 10 points) or in any SOL jobs (for 5 points).

Regards,
Toportyu
Old May 30th 2006, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Yes and no.
12 month out of 18 rule means your 60 point occupation accepted for 60 points. I am fine on this part.
Specific work experience points (a bit down in the Booklet 6) are ADDITIONAL points for working 3 out of 4 years in the nominated or in a closely related (for 10 points) or in any SOL jobs (for 5 points).

Regards,
Toportyu
Oh yes, i see now. Well, if it helps I studied at Uni to be a Charter Surveyor and i'd state that a QS and Architect are closely related occupations, so go for it.

Graham
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:46 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Oh yes, i see now. Well, if it helps I studied at Uni to be a Charter Surveyor and i'd state that a QS and Architect are closely related occupations, so go for it.

Graham
I know the post is a bit old but would like to know the answer, if its been solved.

I am a Chartered QS and would not say that they are closely related, I would say that the only thing in common between an Architect and QS is that they are both in Construction. I certainly could not design a building, and I know many Architects who could not cost it. Maybe a QS and BS could be classed as closely related. JMO. They both involve lots of different skills.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 8:59 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks, you are right, already did what you advised.

One last question: how can I delete THIS thread (as it is on the Immigration forum now)?

Thanks, Toportyu

You can't yourself, unless you can give a very, very good reason to mods or administrators, who can, but with the replies and content I don't like the chances of it happening.