Plugs

Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:22 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Plugs

For my benefit and everyone else who is coming over, what is the situation with plugs. Can I simply cut off my English plugs and replace them with Australian plugs, and if so, what are the colours of the wires over here, and how do they correspond with live neutral etc. I am well aware that I have to get an electrician out to do all the stuff I was able to do myself in the UK, but surely this doesnt go as far as changing a plug.........or does it?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:29 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plugs

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
For my benefit and everyone else who is coming over, what is the situation with plugs. Can I simply cut off my English plugs and replace them with Australian plugs, and if so, what are the colours of the wires over here, and how do they correspond with live neutral etc. I am well aware that I have to get an electrician out to do all the stuff I was able to do myself in the UK, but surely this doesnt go as far as changing a plug.........or does it?
Yes to the plugs, they are easy to change.

I'm in the process of changing ours over at the mo.

Big electrical jobs you need a sparky. Not sure if it is recomended you get a sparky to change plugs thou.

Walla
Old Oct 6th 2004, 9:30 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about over in WA, maybe you are more risk-taking types over there, but up here in good old nanny-state QLD, you have to get an electrician to change your plugs for you! Highly dangerous thing to do after all, can't imagine why they let any old idiot do it in the UK, I mean they let women and children do it, and you don't need a licence

You are allowed to run all your UK stuff with adapters on, so I shall do that for the rest of my life as I refuse to pay an electrician to change a plug! I learnt at Brownies, and what a proud day it was too.

The Bloke had such a look of horror on his face when I suggested changing one that I started worrying about his health!!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We bought a couple of those 4 gang things (ie 4 plugs on a strip). We then nipped the plug off it and put an ozzy plug on. This allows us to still run the stuff with British plugs and you don't have to go out and buy loads of plugs.

As far as the nanny state is concerned - bugger em, I just changed mine!!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 11:14 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billabong
We bought a couple of those 4 gang things (ie 4 plugs on a strip). We then nipped the plug off it and put an ozzy plug on. This allows us to still run the stuff with British plugs and you don't have to go out and buy loads of plugs.

As far as the nanny state is concerned - bugger em, I just changed mine!!
Ah but you're not married to a Qlder who has a sharp intake of breath at the thought of doing anything vaguely dangerous (like crossing a completely empty round without waiting for the little green man!). I shall have to wait till hes out one day, then I might have a go!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 11:27 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ah but you're not married to a Qlder who has a sharp intake of breath at the thought of doing anything vaguely dangerous (like crossing a completely empty round without waiting for the little green man!). I shall have to wait till hes out one day, then I might have a go!
Another note that has been on here before is to make sure the extention plug thingy has a surge protector and to stock up on fuses for your UK plugs as they are difficult to come by in Australia.

Cheers
JayDeee
Old Oct 6th 2004, 11:29 am
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

A serious word of caution - IF one of the plugs you changed starts a fire, would your insurance cover you ? don't think so !

Saying that I did change a couple of plugs over without any problems, although I don't keep them attached to the power supply permanantly. The plugs are available in the likes of Tandy for about $3 each.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 12:28 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Hello

In Victoria you can buy replacement plugs in safeway (or hardware stores). I don't know what the Oz wire colours are but obviously you already know the colours for the plug you just cut off.

Note that the 'Live' is also known as 'Active'.

As mentioned above, it is a good idea to get the 4-way power strips and add an Aussie plug; particularly for transformers that have the UK pins (e.g. those used for charging your mobile phone, digital camera, pieces of computer equipment, etc...). They are also useful for things like hi-fi's where you would have a power strip anyway; you don't have to change all of your plugs and you get to keep plugs with an in-line fuse. Bring a few 4-way strips.

Beware: the UK->Oz adapter I brought switches around the live and neutral wires. It does say on it that you should only use it with un-earthed appliances, and that is the reason why.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Oct 6th 2004, 12:37 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Another note that has been on here before is to make sure the extention plug thingy has a surge protector and to stock up on fuses for your UK plugs as they are difficult to come by in Australia.

Cheers
JayDeee
Good points Irishmolly and JayDeee

Walla