Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please, some help from the Expats in Brisbane

Please, some help from the Expats in Brisbane

Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

The Wallaces is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please, some help from the Expats in Brisbane

Again many thanks to all of you who responded, great stuff. We really do love the idea of being by the sea so the Bayside is definitely somewhere that we are going to check out. The other place that we have seen is on the Gold Coast, Pacific Pines to be precise. Very affordable housing. Of course it all depends on jobs etc.
But OH is a sparky and I am going to set up my Family dayhome, which is what I currently do here. Not a career of choice but something that helps pay the bills and allows me the time to stay home with my youngest.

ABC Diamond - your grocery chain should come over to Canada they would make a killin at those prices.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The Wallaces
ABC Diamond - your grocery chain should come over to Canada they would make a killin at those prices.
The would have to bring their farmers and farms with them

Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Wallaces
Hi there we are the Wallaces family. We originally from the UK but actually immigrated to Calgary, Canada 3 years ago. After enduring the long, long, long winters, we think that we might be better suited to a sunnier climate.

We are coming over in June for long holiday staying 2 weeks in NZ and 3 weeks in Brisbane.

We are really just hoping that some of you folks would be good enough to give us some advice on what communities are good for families, as we want to have a look at housing while we are over. We don't want to be too close to the city.

Also could anyone make a suggestion as to where to stay while we are there in June, what areas are good and where we should absolutely avoid. We will probably need self-catering accommodation..

Sorry for being a little vague, we are just trying to plan out our trip and it is just so overwhelming. We have no family or friends in Brisbane to give us advice and you all seem like a nice bunch of people, so we thought we'd give it a go.

Cheers
Karen
Hi Karen

We are currently trying to decide between Canada (Ontorio oh has family in Windsor) and Australia (did reccie to Perth but to isolated so looking at Gold Coast).

We are now saving to get to Canada to do a reccie however the more I read on the forums the more I am put off Canada! I am worried that I would not cope with the cold winters and Im hearing that work is hard to find (my oh is a sparky). Also a lot of people are saying that the Canadians are not that welcoming. Any advice much appreciated. Sorry I can't help much on the Gold Coast info.

Colette
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:12 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the Bayside is a nice area, but dont be mislead, yes you are near the water but it is not the ocean as you would know it. Very sheltered by the islands so quite calm and no REAL beaches as such, for those and surf you have to head to the gold / sunshine coast.

We lived in Redland Bay for 6 months when we first arrived, but found the housing a little expensive, so we looked inland and got a lot more for our money.

I can understand people loving the Bayside, its just not for us. Although we do enjoy our visits there.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 5:13 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times

We lived in Redland Bay for 6 months when we first arrived, but found the housing a little expensive, so we looked inland and got a lot more for our money.

I can understand people loving the Bayside, its just not for us. Although we do enjoy our visits there.
What areas do you recommend inland?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:53 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
What areas do you recommend inland?
goldcoast hinterland or anything on the west of the M1 as it runs up through the goldcoast

http://www.verygoldcoast.com.au/destinations/

its a big area with a very tiny place called surfers that seems to get all the attention
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...14548&t=h&z=11
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox
If you are prepared to go a bit further afield, check out the Sunshine Coast. It is one and a half hours North of Brisbane and much less of a city. Lots and lots of gorgeous beaches. Just a thought...
If you can afford a house here, the Sunshine Coast is great for families. Around 30mins further from Brisbane than the Gold Coast is.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:48 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
goldcoast hinterland or anything on the west of the M1 as it runs up through the goldcoast

http://www.verygoldcoast.com.au/destinations/

its a big area with a very tiny place called surfers that seems to get all the attention
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...14548&t=h&z=11
I actually liked surfers I was 25 and on holiday though

I've only heard good things about the GC hinterland
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we live in the UK but went to the gold coast for 2 weeks for a reccie. It was fantastic the people are simply fantastic, and I really miss sitting on the balcony at night with views of the beach and the lit up skyscrapers of surfers...

We stayed at Burleigh Heads which is kind of at the end of the big curve of beach from surfers, but had great views and was fantastic. The surf was a bit rough for little ones - our daughter was 2 and got knocked over from the sand dragging out! There's a gentler beach in the national park just at the end of the stretch.

Its only a couple hours from brisbane city, and there's some beautiful scenary... im hoping to try the sunshine coast next time, oh and the theme parks aren't far away so there's lots to do on your weekends off!

Good luck!
Jen