British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Please, some help from the Expats in Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/please-some-help-expats-brisbane-650263/)

The Wallaces Jan 20th 2010 2:38 am

Please, some help from the Expats in Brisbane

Hi there we are the Wallaces family. We originally from the UK but actually immigrated to Calgary, Canada 3 years ago. After enduring the long, long, long winters, we think that we might be better suited to a sunnier climate.

We are coming over in June for long holiday staying 2 weeks in NZ and 3 weeks in Brisbane.

We are really just hoping that some of you folks would be good enough to give us some advice on what communities are good for families, as we want to have a look at housing while we are over. We don't want to be too close to the city.

Also could anyone make a suggestion as to where to stay while we are there in June, what areas are good and where we should absolutely avoid. We will probably need self-catering accommodation..

Sorry for being a little vague, we are just trying to plan out our trip and it is just so overwhelming. We have no family or friends in Brisbane to give us advice and you all seem like a nice bunch of people, so we thought we'd give it a go.

Cheers
Karen

Centurion Jan 20th 2010 4:40 am

Re: Please, some help from the Expats in Brisbane

You might consider Bayside Brisbane. Its not too close to the CBD but still within an hours commute. By the water, cooler in the summer than out west. Think Cleveland, Wellington Point, Victoria Point, Redland Bay, Manly.

ABCDiamond Jan 20th 2010 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8264875)
You might consider Bayside Brisbane. Its not too close to the CBD but still within an hours commute. By the water, cooler in the summer than out west. Think Cleveland, Wellington Point, Victoria Point, Redland Bay, Manly.

That is an excellent idea :thumbsup:

Some accommodation options

Listings of Furnished Accommodation and Serviced Houses and Apartments:

Brisbane South East

Thornlands, QLD 4164 - www.auspitality.com.au
Thornlands, QLD 4164 - www.abuzzhomestay.com.au
Cleveland, QLD 4163 - Cleveland Terrace Resort, 52 Island Street, T: (07) 3821 2255 -email-
Redland Bay, QLD 4165 - www.redlandsretreat.webs.com Redlands Retreat T: 07 31371089
Coochiemudlo Island QLD 4184. Quirky Cottages, - www.quirkycottages.com
Wakerley, QLD 4154 - Koala Resort Motel - 158 Greencamp Rd, Wakerley. : (07) 3245 6555
Wellington Point, QLD 4160 - 1 bedroom Unit sleeps 2 Adults and 2 children in Bunk Beds. -email-

The Wallaces Jan 21st 2010 2:40 am

Hi there, many thanks for the replies. I had a chance to look at the areas today and they look amazing. We have two young boys one seven and the other two. We would love to be down near the sea. It is amazing how much you miss the ocean after 3 years in the prairies.

Are the any areas we should avoid going into when we are visiting? I remember when I first landed in Calgary, I got lost and I ended up driving into the worst area for hookers :) Good job I didn't stop and ask for directions.

Cheers

Karen

ABCDiamond Jan 21st 2010 4:11 am

Originally Posted by The Wallaces (Post 8268198)
I got lost and I ended up driving into the worst area for hookers :)

I haven't found any of them around here ;)

Depending where you stay, if you stay at a place set up for migrants, the owners of the property may be of great help with information on their area.

Pagani-Rennox Jan 21st 2010 11:44 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8268358)

Depending where you stay, if you stay at a place set up for migrants, the owners of the property may be of great help with information on their area.

If you are prepared to go a bit further afield, check out the Sunshine Coast. It is one and a half hours North of Brisbane and much less of a city. Lots and lots of gorgeous beaches. Just a thought...

The Wallaces Jan 26th 2010 3:03 am

Many thanks all of you. We have checked out the Gold Coast and we like the look of it a lot. Not sure what it would be like to live in. But we will be certainly visiting on our hols.!!

Thanks
Karen

wanderingwombat Jan 26th 2010 7:23 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8268358)

LJ Hooker are still at Victoria Point:D

WW

ABCDiamond Jan 26th 2010 8:58 am

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat (Post 8282692)

WW

:rofl: But no longer on the corner, they've moved on.... :lol:

wanderingwombat Jan 26th 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8282876)
:rofl: But no longer on the corner, they've moved on.... :lol:

Down on the waterfront. :D

comet555 Jan 26th 2010 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat (Post 8282692)

WW

Somewhere in the house I have a newspaper clipping from the local paper that says:

"Top Hooker firm wins award"

Loved the title so I just had to save it!

comet555 Jan 26th 2010 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by The Wallaces (Post 8282316)
Many thanks all of you. We have checked out the Gold Coast and we like the look of it a lot. Not sure what it would be like to live in. But we will be certainly visiting on our hols.!!

Thanks
Karen

I suppose it depends on where you'll be working. If you're working in the Brisbane CBD it might be quicker to commute from the Bayside area.

gmralston Jan 27th 2010 12:22 am

Originally Posted by comet555 (Post 8284814)
I suppose it depends on where you'll be working. If you're working in the Brisbane CBD it might be quicker to commute from the Bayside area.

Bayside is nice, not checked out housing cost yet but we have a few bbq's there (yes I know we're fresh off the boat). About 30 mins drive to the city.

I am also proud to say that I have found abc's 1.79c/2L milk on our most recent trip although we won't be going out that far just for our milk:-).

Rudi Jan 27th 2010 2:23 am

Originally Posted by The Wallaces (Post 8264652)
Hi there we are the Wallaces family. We originally from the UK but actually immigrated to Calgary, Canada 3 years ago. After enduring the long, long, long winters, we think that we might be better suited to a sunnier climate.

We are coming over in June for long holiday staying 2 weeks in NZ and 3 weeks in Brisbane.

We are really just hoping that some of you folks would be good enough to give us some advice on what communities are good for families, as we want to have a look at housing while we are over. We don't want to be too close to the city.

Also could anyone make a suggestion as to where to stay while we are there in June, what areas are good and where we should absolutely avoid. We will probably need self-catering accommodation..

Sorry for being a little vague, we are just trying to plan out our trip and it is just so overwhelming. We have no family or friends in Brisbane to give us advice and you all seem like a nice bunch of people, so we thought we'd give it a go.

Cheers
Karen

Hi Karen

Welcome to BE. I agree with the people who suggest living in the bayside area. We love it!! We live here with our young family and couldn't be happier.

Give me a shout if you need somewhere to stay - I have a short term rental in Redland Bay which is in the Bayside. The link for the details is in my signature.

Good luck with your plans

Love

Rudi
x

ABCDiamond Jan 27th 2010 3:46 am

Originally Posted by gmralston (Post 8285375)
I am also proud to say that I have found abc's 1.79c/2L milk on our most recent trip although we won't be going out that far just for our milk:-).

:rofl:

I've actually just got back from that shop.. spent $19.07

$5.00 2 Doz 700gms eggs
$2.55 8.8 kg watermelon
$1.49 1 loaf bread
$1.79 2lt milk
$1.98 2 x 250gm punnets of Strawberries
$0.99 1kg sweet Potatoes
$1.59 1kg Tomatoes
$2.99 2kgs Royal Gala apples
$0.69 2.87kg Jap Pumpkin

Not sure if the watermelon is the right size, but my wife didn't say how much to get !! Does seem a bit heavy :D