Please shoot me

Old Apr 14th 2004, 5:32 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please shoot me

Just been out (again) trying to teach my 10 year old how to ride a bike, and really he hasn't got a clue. He has no sense of balance, can't pedal and can't steer.

We need to start cycling to school on Tuesday so I have 5 more days to get him not just up and running, but confident enough to cycle on the roads (with me, of course).

Does anybody have a magic wand to wave?

Jane
Old Apr 14th 2004, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Aw bless jane, just persevere and you will get there. Grief hasnt he been on a bike before I remember when we taught my son he was 5 a few attempts he had got it, his sister was 3 and she kicked up a stink to have the stabilizers off hers, so we did it just for peace and quiet and to prove a point she was just to small. Well she proved us wrong she mastered it at the age of 3 after about 5 attempts, mind you boy she is strong willed, does my head in now at nearly 12.
Just tell him to keep trying he will get there, good luck.
Joanne
Old Apr 14th 2004, 5:45 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jopaulss
Aw bless jane, just persevere and you will get there. Grief hasnt he been on a bike before I remember when we taught my son he was 5 a few attempts he had got it, his sister was 3 and she kicked up a stink to have the stabilizers off hers, so we did it just for peace and quiet and to prove a point she was just to small. Well she proved us wrong she mastered it at the age of 3 after about 5 attempts, mind you boy she is strong willed, does my head in now at nearly 12.
Just tell him to keep trying he will get there, good luck.
Joanne
Hi Joanne,

When we lived in the UK, it was just too crowded and busy and there was nowhere to cycle, so we didn't get round to teaching him.

Here, its really nice to just cycle round the streets, if we could get him up and running! He could ride a bike at Centerparcs with stabilisers on, so I think its just a confidence thing. His knuckles are white as he grips the handlebars!

Jane
Old Apr 14th 2004, 5:51 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

(snip) his sister was 3 and she kicked up a stink to have the stabilizers off hers, so we did it just for peace and quiet and to prove a point she was just to small. Well she proved us wrong she mastered it at the age of 3 after about 5 attempts, mind you boy she is strong willed, does my head in now at nearly 12.
Joanne
Sounds like you have a "High 'D'" Personality there, Joanne! Get your hands on a book called "Positive Personality Profiles", by Dr. Robert A Rohm. It will explain her to you. (It WON'T let you control her, but WILL let you know why you're her inferior!!)

She'll love reading it, too, as about a quarter of the book is dedicated to HER. (The other three quarters of the book, covering the other three personality types, will also be of interest to her. It will prove her superiority!)

And yes, I too have a "High 'D'" personality, but having read the book I can understand myself, and control my overbearing personality. (P.S., only a High 'D' can control a High 'D'.... There's a clue for you!)
Old Apr 14th 2004, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

White knuckles bless him, that shows how much he wants this doesnt it. I would love to be there to see the look on his face when he masters this, sheer bliss i would say.
Downunderpom i will look for that one, except she can actually reduce me to floods of tears, so am i still "high d " personaility? I just cant win, she is always right and always has the last word, i am dreading her in her teen years, my son is an angel, well sometimes,but i seem to be able to cope, but you may be right perhaps we clash as we are very much alike:scared:
Joanne
Old Apr 14th 2004, 8:06 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I remember this problem when my younger brother learnt to ride a bike...he was scared witless! Only thing that gave him confidence was getting him some elbow and knee pads and a helmet so that if he fell off, he knew he wouldn't hurt himself. Worked a treat.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jane,
I now feel llike pushy Mum as I've been nagging my 5 year old to get rid of her stabilisers since we got here. I'm dying to cycle to school but she wont with them on....walkings good exercise anyway
Michaela
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:09 pm
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by mcmercer
Jane,
I now feel llike pushy Mum as I've been nagging my 5 year old to get rid of her stabilisers since we got here. I'm dying to cycle to school but she wont with them on....walkings good exercise anyway
Michaela
Yep, looks like we'll be walking too, come Tuesday. Trouble is, a 3 minute drive or 8 minute cycle turns into 1/2 walk or an hour for me to come back!

Jim's been driving into Brisbane this week and its been saving him 1 1/2 hour travelling time at least and when he's working 11 hour days, that's a big saving.

Jane
p.s. Can I have Millie's stabilisers when she's done with them?
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I think I was like your 10 year old when my father taught me to ride in a few days at a similar age. It was only many years later that he said to me 'you know all those times when you shouted out, are you holding the seat, and I said yes'. 'Well I didn't most of the time'. How to teach a scared child to ride in one easy lesson.

OzTennis
Old Apr 14th 2004, 9:59 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

White knuckles bless him, that shows how much he wants this doesnt it. I would love to be there to see the look on his face when he masters this, sheer bliss i would say.
Downunderpom i will look for that one, except she can actually reduce me to floods of tears, so am i still "high d " personaility? I just cant win, she is always right and always has the last word, i am dreading her in her teen years, my son is an angel, well sometimes,but i seem to be able to cope, but you may be right perhaps we clash as we are very much alike:scared:
Joanne
Hi Joanne

SHE'S the "High 'D'". If you're reduced to floods of tears then you're definitely NOT a High 'D'! Sounds more like you're an 'S' type personality. Get the book - it'll do you both a world of good. Understanding is the key. You understanding her, and she understanding you.