Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh sh*t, just been bitten by a white-tailed spider!

Oh sh*t, just been bitten by a white-tailed spider!

Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default Oh sh*t, just been bitten by a white-tailed spider!

Just been bitten on my arm by a white tip, caught the little blighter so I could be sure, looks just like his piccy in the book! Any advice? What should I do? At the moment it just looks like a red dot with a white circle round it. Do I just wait & see what happens? Help!!

Loopy
Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:41 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Oh sh*t, just been bitten by a white-tailed spider!

Originally posted by Loopy
Just been bitten on my arm by a white tip, caught the little blighter so I could be sure, looks just like his piccy in the book! Any advice? What should I do? At the moment it just looks like a red dot with a white circle round it. Do I just wait & see what happens? Help!!

Loopy
OH NO!! If you are sure it's a white tip maybe you should go to the hospital?!!

Not sure really, renth is the man for this type of question!!!!

Hope you're ok!!! Sit down, head between your legs (yikes!) deep breaths, in.......out....in....out....in....out

Squish the bugger (spider I mean), or flower press it and put into a photo frame!!!

P.S, didn't mean you were a british Snob re...Homeswest !!

Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Loopy

hello???????? u still there???
dunno what to do - heard u should pee on bites!!
Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Thanks, both of you. Just been doing frantic searches on google. Seems bite can be ok, only some ulcerate & necrotise!!!
No cure apparently so will just have to wait & see, doesn't feel bad at the moment. Don't think I could pee on that bit of my arm without becoming a contortionist!! It was a male spider, female looks a bit different.

Oh well, lets hope his wife & kids aren't lurking in the house!

Loopy
Old Apr 12th 2004, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe ring the doctor? Or pm Mrs Dagboy - she seems to be the fount of all knowledge on these things! Hope you're alright!
Old Apr 12th 2004, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I just found this Loopy - hope it doesn't freak you out though...
Maybe some aloe vera would help?

Necrotising Arachnidism

Evidence is mounting that more than one kind of spider can cause the phenomenon, known as necrotising arachnidism, and very little is known about the species responsible. The top two suspects are the White Tail spider and the Wolf spider.
As the problem is uncommon, and not seen officially as a threat to life, health authorities and governments have not given it high priority, and as a result (with no heavy investment in research funding), scientists are unlikely to come up with answers, let alone antidotes.
The normal process of tissue death, starts because of a loss of blood supply - such as in frostbite or injury - or because of bacterial action. On the body surface it results in gangrene, which can spread to healthy tissue. Necrosis from animal venoms, such as the tentacles of jellyfish is different, usually self-limiting in area and duration, and not gangrenous. Often the body can replace the damage; wheals from jellyfish stings may be replaced by scar tissue - but in severe cases of necrosis from spider bites, the loss is extensive and irreversible, reaching through all layers of skin.
Skin death may start with surface blistering, or with darkening below, and can be rapid and agonising. It can be accompanied by drastic attacks of vomiting and diarrhoea. Or, it may be gradual with very little pain. One case in Melbourne had a fast onset and a slow, relentless continuation. The only way of repairing the damage usually involves skin grafts, and sometimes amputations.

A bacterium, Myobacterium ulcerans is carried in the venom, and it is believed this microscopic organism does the damage, causing a spreading, infected ulcerous sore. According to Bert Brunet, the author of "Spiderwatch", application of amino acid L-Cystine ointment has in some cases counteracted the necrotic venom. He has also found that the application of aloe vera in ointment or fresh leaf form can help neutralise the effects of the bite, and recommends applying it generously over the wound three or four times a day until the wound heals.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

Oh god I'm really sorry to hear that but I really think you should ring the doctor or seek medical advice. As far as my cousin tells me (she gets loads of white tails in her house) the bites can turn quite nasty. I'd speak to someone just to be sure. Do they have a number like NHS direct????
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Let us know how you get on Loopy, you've got us all worried now!
Old Apr 12th 2004, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Loopy,
hows the bite doing?

Came across my first white tail bite the other day at work. - and I thought we only had the redbacks to contend with

Claire
Old Apr 12th 2004, 10:06 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Loopy

Oh no!! How are you now?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested to know how things turned out too. We had hoards of the fellers in an old place we used to rent in Christchurch. Never got a bit though thankfully!

Don't squish it inside though, I hear they give off a stench..?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Boozy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sp bite

recent reports show that the white tail is not responsible for necrotising.( ABC radio Melbourne).
i think the female has the worst results though.
You might want to get some manuka honey I understand it works wonders on ulcers.It is the honey from the manuka tree in NZ and contains natural anti biotics and antiseptics.Try a search on manuka honey.
vinegar is great for relieving the pain from bites including jelly fish
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vinegar is good on neutralising the sting on nats and stuff as it is an acid with a -PH level that negates the +PH of the sting (all relative to PH Neutral)

I am no chemist so I could be talking crap though...
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Boozy is an unknown quantity at this point

you're right wheels...it is the main first aid tool used by life savers
it can overcome the sting from a box jelly fish.If you go swimming
in the box areas you should always carry a film canister filled with vinegar in your speedos.May help you pull chicks also
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thankfully now Box jellies here Boozy, but good to know all the same...

Used to use it all the time as a kid for nat bites. Suprising how many people don't know about it. Such a simple remedy...

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.