Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please Help Us Make The Most Of Our Time In Queensland

Please Help Us Make The Most Of Our Time In Queensland

Old May 6th 2005, 9:11 am
C

NEILL & SHARON MILLS is on a distinguished road
Default Please Help Us Make The Most Of Our Time In Queensland

Just to set the picture , our visas hopefully are due through towards the end of the year , and we are looking at Queensland as the place we want to be , never been before but decided on this after much research. We are coming over to Queensland in August for three weeks on a recce/holiday, me , my wife and nine year old daughter. We fly into Brisbane then collect a motor home for the three weeks and plan on going as far as Cairns within the time. The type of area which appeals to us is probably on the edge of a village or small town , within approx half hour to the coast , if possible an area where houses are pretty affordable because we would like one with a bit of land . I would be very grateful of any help onto which are the best areas to visit as regards to live or have a good time as it is still partly an holiday . Also I am a maintenance engineer/toolmaker by trade so types of industry in an area would be an advantage.Again any help would be great , I know you need hell of a lot longer to have a proper look round , but that is the only time we have.

THX FOR ANY HELP

Neill & Sharon
Old May 6th 2005, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

achish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please Help Us Make The Most Of Our Time In Queensland

Originally Posted by NEILL & SHARON MILLS
Just to set the picture , our visas hopefully are due through towards the end of the year , and we are looking at Queensland as the place we want to be , never been before but decided on this after much research. We are coming over to Queensland in August for three weeks on a recce/holiday, me , my wife and nine year old daughter. We fly into Brisbane then collect a motor home for the three weeks and plan on going as far as Cairns within the time. The type of area which appeals to us is probably on the edge of a village or small town , within approx half hour to the coast , if possible an area where houses are pretty affordable because we would like one with a bit of land . I would be very grateful of any help onto which are the best areas to visit as regards to live or have a good time as it is still partly an holiday . Also I am a maintenance engineer/toolmaker by trade so types of industry in an area would be an advantage.Again any help would be great , I know you need hell of a lot longer to have a proper look round , but that is the only time we have.

THX FOR ANY HELP

Neill & Sharon

Firstly there is no villages in Qld only towns and city's. I probably would nosy up a bit north, maybe around Gladstone & Mackay could be another option. Both have a lot of industry but close to the water. Cairns is pretty nice too, lots of tourism but really humid in summer. Good holiday destination. The prices of houses have really risen so the days of cheap buys are long gone. House prices are exy wherever you go, although the boom isn't so high now so you could get something of a good buy. Hope you find something.
Old May 6th 2005, 10:19 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NEILL & SHARON MILLS

THX FOR ANY HELP

Neill & Sharon
Keep an eye out for mining and rail projects and supply centres?
Old May 6th 2005, 10:28 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

For example:

http://www.mbb.com.au/WEBIMAGES/CntrlQLDCoal%20Map.pdf
Old May 6th 2005, 11:02 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hello N&S,

Here's a bit of stuff to whet your appetite.....

http://www.cairns-australia.com/
http://www.cairnsconnect.com.au/
http://www.qld.gov.au/
http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/
http://www.tropicalaustralia.com.au/...0-FC75BD815DAD

There are settlements around Cairns that are as close as you can get to a village in Aus. I guess you could call them self contained suburbs. Space between them.
Houses with land - no problem.
Still close to beaches - yes.
Usually the further out of town you go the cheaper it becomes. Talking of no more than 30 min drive to the centre of city the though.

There are not many large companies here but lots of small ones. Quite a bit of engineering type jobs from what I can gather. Probably because Cairns is a big feeder to the mines around the Cape of Carpentaria and ship work.

There is reasonable money to be had on fly in / fly out mines if you can stand it. Usually 2 weeks on and a full week off.

Do a forum search for Cairns as it has had a bit of discussion on here in the last couple of months.

Old May 6th 2005, 11:56 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

We live in Yeppoon which is kinda between Gladstone and Mackay. There is some work round about where my hubby is, and there r plenty acerages round about here which could be affordable....but it all depends when u r looking to come over to stya for good with regards work

send me a pm if u want more info
Old May 6th 2005, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by biggy
Hiya

We live in Yeppoon which is kinda between Gladstone and Mackay. There is some work round about where my hubby is, and there r plenty acerages round about here which could be affordable....but it all depends when u r looking to come over to stya for good with regards work

send me a pm if u want more info
Arrhhhhh...Yeppoon is a lovely spot. I was born in Gladstone and we use to go for holidays up there when we were kids. Very fond memories of the Causeway Cvan Park. Went up there last year to visit my uncle. Wow....has it changed. Not the sleeply little seaside town anymore. But still an excellent spot. Not a lot of work up there, but I suppose you could commute to Rocky at a push.
Old May 6th 2005, 10:46 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by achish
Arrhhhhh...Yeppoon is a lovely spot. I was born in Gladstone and we use to go for holidays up there when we were kids. Very fond memories of the Causeway Cvan Park. Went up there last year to visit my uncle. Wow....has it changed. Not the sleeply little seaside town anymore. But still an excellent spot. Not a lot of work up there, but I suppose you could commute to Rocky at a push.
Unfortunately the Causeway Lake caravan park has been closed down.....some big developer bought it. Yeppoon is grown sooo much since we moved here 10 months ago.....it is getting City status and the population is expected to be 35K in 5 years time.....loads of jobs around, hubby works in Rocky, its only a 30 min drive so no probs there....we love Yeppoon and r gettin out house built here
Old May 6th 2005, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by biggy
Unfortunately the Causeway Lake caravan park has been closed down.....some big developer bought it. Yeppoon is grown sooo much since we moved here 10 months ago.....it is getting City status and the population is expected to be 35K in 5 years time.....loads of jobs around, hubby works in Rocky, its only a 30 min drive so no probs there....we love Yeppoon and r gettin out house built here
Bummer. Another one hits the dust hey. Plus side is more jobs around I suppose. It seemed to take ages from Rocky to get to Yeppoon. I suppose Dad's old morris minor didn't go all that fast. and we were sooo excited. Happy House building.