Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please help with some info

Please help with some info

Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Blond1e is on a distinguished road
Default Please help with some info

Hi - Thank you SO much in advance. DH has been offered a job in IT in Perth.

I have been looking into finances in Oz and don't know if its just me but omg its so so expensive out there. Both my sisters live there and have given me monthly costings but they both rent and aren't really the kind of people who worry about the future so they say a yearly salary of $120k is more than enough.

I've looked into a $350,000 mortgage and all your normal monthly expenses (which includes life insurances and all the stuff that goes with owning a home) and it just seems that we'd have less than $400 at the end of every month in oz whereas here in uk we have quite a bit of money left after our bills.

I know life in Oz will be awesome but am also a realist in the fact that we'd still need money and couldnt go down to the beach every weekend for the rest of our lives. And I currently am able to fly my parents to the UK to visit every couple of yrs and would like to still do this without having to really go without a yearly holiday ourselves.

Would you say a $120,000 per yr salary were REALLY good, average or not enough? My dd is gifted and talented so ideally would like her to be in a private school (not saying govt schooling not good but have heard that they will keep her in her age appropriate class whereas private is more likely to move her to her academically suited class) - this is a big issue too as dd is only 5 so would be in the first yr at school in Oz yet her reading/writing age is 10yrs old so I think being in a class learning A B C would be very detrimental to her.

Thank you so much!