Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

please help, first home grant

please help, first home grant

Old Aug 13th 2007, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of
Default please help, first home grant

Please can someone knowledgable from Victoria offer me some advice. We have just applied for our first mortgage. on the application it said first home owners grant $7000. I know that we are entitled to the First home with family concession too but when does this get applied for? Will our solicitor advise us? Mortgage lender? or do we just apply ourselves? Im so confused. i know we filled in a first home buyers application yesterday but i think that was just the basic $7000 one.

Can anyone help? thanks
Old Aug 13th 2007, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: please help, first home grant

Originally Posted by thebardies
Please can someone knowledgable from Victoria offer me some advice. We have just applied for our first mortgage. on the application it said first home owners grant $7000. I know that we are entitled to the First home with family concession too but when does this get applied for? Will our solicitor advise us? Mortgage lender? or do we just apply ourselves? Im so confused. i know we filled in a first home buyers application yesterday but i think that was just the basic $7000 one.

Can anyone help? thanks
Our's got done for us by the morgage broker we used. Just check with the banks/lender you are using.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Can anyone help? thanks

Your mortgage broker will do everything for you.

Unless of course you chose to do everything yourself - in which case "Yes", you need to do it yourself.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:57 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help? thanks
This is the form you can complete yourself. You can then submit it personally with certified copies of ID (or do it at the counter) with contract of sale and proof of payment of stamp duty.
Attached Files
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

Sorry no clue how to get the grant, but I thought it was more than 7k ??
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:54 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charb
Sorry no clue how to get the grant, but I thought it was more than 7k ??
Its 7K for all new buyers but increases to $10K if the property is less than $500K.

The mortgage brokers normally deal with it but it is just as easy to do yourself. See the form I attached above it is very straight forward and you can ask for the stamp duty to be offset or paid out seperately.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of

thanks for your help. I spoke to the guy from Aussie that came round yesterday and he said it was all on the one form we alraedy filled out, so i can just stop worrying now. He said it will get paid at time of sale and that we dont have to stump it up in advance. Thank god for that!!
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone help? thanks
do you get the grant if you purchase land and have your house built
cheers in advance
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you do - we've just had ours granted. We took the application in to the Office of State Revenue in Wollongong just to be on the safe side and the $7k was in our account a couple of days later. Couldn't believe (a) that we were entitled to it and (b) that it happened so quickly!

If you build I think you can get it when you sign the contract and have a mortgage organised: in our case we didn't have a mortgage so had to wait until completion certification.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Its 7K for all new buyers but increases to $10K if the property is less than $500K.

The mortgage brokers normally deal with it but it is just as easy to do yourself. See the form I attached above it is very straight forward and you can ask for the stamp duty to be offset or paid out seperately.
G'day

The federal government pays the $7,000 First Home Owners Grant but it is administered in each state by the local state government. The extra $3K is paid by the Victorian government and they don't pay it to people who buy or build outside Victoria (which is sad but not surprising !!).

The folks here in WA are limited to the $7,000 FHOG, plus $2,000 from REBA of WA if the property is bought through a licensed real estate agent and costs less than $400,000

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Yes you do - we've just had ours granted. We took the application in to the Office of State Revenue in Wollongong just to be on the safe side and the $7k was in our account a couple of days later. Couldn't believe (a) that we were entitled to it and (b) that it happened so quickly!

If you build I think you can get it when you sign the contract and have a mortgage organised: in our case we didn't have a mortgage so had to wait until completion certification.
thanks for that
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
G'day

The federal government pays the $7,000 First Home Owners Grant but it is administered in each state by the local state government. The extra $3K is paid by the Victorian government and they don't pay it to people who buy or build outside Victoria (which is sad but not surprising !!).

The folks here in WA are limited to the $7,000 FHOG, plus $2,000 from REBA of WA if the property is bought through a licensed real estate agent and costs less than $400,000

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Thanks for that Bob,
Do you know is it just the $7k in NSW or do you get something on top for houses less than a certain amount too? We're off to Wollengong asap

cheers
Take care
Vicky