Please help!

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Adam19 will become famous soon enough
Default Please help!

Hi all,

Okay, me and my partner are both 19, currently living together, we both earn £12,500 a year and hate our jobs, and we both want to better ourselves and learn a skill so we dont end up drifting through dead-end jobs all our lives. We were originally planning on going to Australia for a year on a WHV, then coming back and trying to study - although i doubt we could afford it. I then brought up the subject of going straight to Australia to Study, after speaking with sherie_in_oz about doing a Mechanics course at Gold Coast Tafe, Brisbane.

The problem we've got is that were both really hard workers and want to achieve something, my partner Emma wants to become a Teacher, and myself a mechanic, or possibly a Police Officer in Oz [something i would like to do here] but after looking at the course costs for both of us $23500 for a Mechanics course, $45-60000 for a Teaching Degree, the problem is made worse cos on the Australian immigration website regarding finances, it says this :

You must declare on your application that you have enough money to pay for travel, tuition and living expenses for yourself, your spouse and your dependent children for the duration of your stay in Australia. You must also have enough money to support your spouse and dependent children, even if they do not travel with you to Australia.
but then it also says :

Acceptable sources of income

The money to support you and your family members may come from any source.
so its telling me that i have to have ALL the money to study, live and travel for 2 years? After using the calculator on the website thats $58000 minimum just for ME!! how the hell am i supposed to afford that? i mean, if we could both work 20 hours a week then it wouldnt be so bad. Is there any kind of student loan scheme available for international students?

Sorry for the long post, were just angry, we want to pull our fingers out and study for something in Australia as the cost of renting a flat over here along with bills etc is just too high for us to afford anything at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:36 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help!

Originally Posted by Adam19
Hi all,

Okay, me and my partner are both 19, currently living together, we both earn £12,500 a year and hate our jobs, and we both want to better ourselves and learn a skill so we dont end up drifting through dead-end jobs all our lives. We were originally planning on going to Australia for a year on a WHV, then coming back and trying to study - although i doubt we could afford it. I then brought up the subject of going straight to Australia to Study, after speaking with sherie_in_oz about doing a Mechanics course at Gold Coast Tafe, Brisbane.

The problem we've got is that were both really hard workers and want to achieve something, my partner Emma wants to become a Teacher, and myself a mechanic, or possibly a Police Officer in Oz [something i would like to do here] but after looking at the course costs for both of us $23500 for a Mechanics course, $45-60000 for a Teaching Degree, the problem is made worse cos on the Australian immigration website regarding finances, it says this :

but then it also says :

so its telling me that i have to have ALL the money to study, live and travel for 2 years? After using the calculator on the website thats $58000 minimum just for ME!! how the hell am i supposed to afford that? i mean, if we could both work 20 hours a week then it wouldnt be so bad. Is there any kind of student loan scheme available for international students?

Sorry for the long post, were just angry, we want to pull our fingers out and study for something in Australia as the cost of renting a flat over here along with bills etc is just too high for us to afford anything at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated
have you ever thought of doing nursing?.....do it in uk then you can live in anywhere you want...
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Adam, really wish you well, you certainly have good attitude & I hope you will get some answers. You may be better off posting on the Immigration forum though as more likely to get read appropriately.
Nursing is a 3 year degree course & i wouldn't suggest anybody chooses this as a second choice career option. It is hard enough to do when it is absolutely what you want to do.
Have you thought about getting some advice from migration agents? There are some on BE who I'm sure would advise you well.
Good luck to you both

Last edited by Sally Simpson; Jul 22nd 2007 at 4:16 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Adam19 will become famous soon enough

Thanks to both of you for your replies! After extensively looking all day we have come to the conclusion that unfortunately, without us having any trade behind us at the minute its impossible to get in Australia, and as the course fees are high, i wouldnt want Emma to miss out on her teaching career. So were gonna go to Oz on a 6 month WHV, then il come back and join the Police Force, and she will get cracking with her teaching degree.

Cheers and take care!

Adam & Emma
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 8:13 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to both of you for your replies! After extensively looking all day we have come to the conclusion that unfortunately, without us having any trade behind us at the minute its impossible to get in Australia, and as the course fees are high, i wouldnt want Emma to miss out on her teaching career. So were gonna go to Oz on a 6 month WHV, then il come back and join the Police Force, and she will get cracking with her teaching degree.

Cheers and take care!

Adam & Emma
good luck with that have fun in oz
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers and take care!

Adam & Emma

Sounds eminently sensible. My first thought when I began reading your post was that you seemed extremely articulate for someone earning £12,500! There are certainly better things out there for you.
Make sure Emma gets on to a four year teaching course - or, some think it is better to do a three year course first, then the 1 year PGCE. That way if she wants to move away from teaching in the future (which believe me, may happen) then she has a non-teaching qualification. But the training has to last four years or it won't be recognised in Australia.
Good luck to you both!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:38 pm
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Sounds eminently sensible. My first thought when I began reading your post was that you seemed extremely articulate for someone earning £12,500! There are certainly better things out there for you.
So your suggesting anyone earning 12, 500 or below is not articulate? Sometimes you can come across as pretty condescending you know.

Anyway to the OP.
Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do, you and your girlfriend have the right attitude, you'll go far.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Adam,
sounds like you have a great plan & I hope you have great fun in Oz.
Lots of luck
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
So your suggesting anyone earning 12, 500 or below is not articulate? Sometimes you can come across as pretty condescending you know.
Well using this thread as an example, the OP stated he earns £12,500, I commented that he seemed very articulate. So no.

Was suggesting that someone as articulate & literate as that could (and probably should) earn significantly more that. I stand by that comment!