Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Playing ping-pong

Playing ping-pong

Old Feb 12th 2019, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playing ping-pong

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Inflation is what the RBA wants, at least to a nominated extent of 3%. Shame housing was taken from the calculations some decades ago. It is more a case of can the nation afford more ill Liberal policy on the trot from the present band of conservatives attempting through all forms of fear creation and big spending tactics (shades of Howard attempting to buy their way back into popularity) The economy needs wage rises in order to increase the flow of money. People are not spending. The poorest have been already been dealt numerous blows. Ever growing inequality and a well developed conservative 'tea party' mind set of a winners and losers status has put paid to any sense of fair play.
Unless the party that now speaks for Big Business and ruling elite can drop their born to rule Tory pretentions and rediscover true Liberal politics, they will likely remain in the wilderness for a considerable period. The tide has turned. Best accept the change and be apart of the movement for change.
People are not spending? Enlighten me .... where is this occurring? Not over here. Must be a Perth thing and at $6 a coffee who can blame them.

Old Feb 12th 2019, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
People are not spending? Enlighten me .... where is this occurring? Not over here. Must be a Perth thing and at $6 a coffee who can blame them.
I'm afraid enlightening you will require seven day a week class attendance. I've neither the time nor patience. But of course will help out where can. Spending is down, savings are down, wages are barely moving, yes over there as well. House prices falling still, hence a lot don't feel wealthier. Wallet stuck somewhat in hip pocket. I'm afraid a number of mortgage salesmen, may well have to contemplate other vocations, such as used (forth/fifth hand) car salesmen to our teeming, often poorly earning incoming population.
No real clues on way forward of course, besides allow a falling Australian dollar, further eroding living standards and allowing interest rates to possibly fall, in order to assist the bubble party to chug along a bit longer.
I do note less takers of Perth's overpriced coffee as you guessed correctly. Lunch deals galore now around. Further signs things are far from good.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 5:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Only an asshole pays $6 for a coffee

Actually, the whole coffee culture thing is a sham - overpriced and overrated - a mug's game

The only beverages that should have a culture around them are alcoholic
Old Feb 13th 2019, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Actually, the whole coffee culture thing is a sham - overpriced and overrated - a mug's game

Over priced yes, but nothing wrong with a coffee culture as such. Just at half the price, while at it liberate cafes by allowing the sale of alcohol. The' faux European experience' that cafes turn out in this country, should be over turned, with regulations allowing the treatment of people as mature adults as in most the rest of the world, even outside of Europe.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid enlightening you will require seven day a week class attendance. I've neither the time nor patience. But of course will help out where can. Spending is down, savings are down, wages are barely moving, yes over there as well. House prices falling still, hence a lot don't feel wealthier. Wallet stuck somewhat in hip pocket. I'm afraid a number of mortgage salesmen, may well have to contemplate other vocations, such as used (forth/fifth hand) car salesmen to our teeming, often poorly earning incoming population.
No real clues on way forward of course, besides allow a falling Australian dollar, further eroding living standards and allowing interest rates to possibly fall, in order to assist the bubble party to chug along a bit longer.
I do note less takers of Perth's overpriced coffee as you guessed correctly. Lunch deals galore now around. Further signs things are far from good.
You do talk some rubbish, or are living in the wrong place. Seems like both.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You do talk some rubbish, or are living in the wrong place. Seems like both.
You know rubbish is what I don't talk. But I accept times are challenging on the sales front. As for wrong place, just re[port it how it is. No sugar coating.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

The isolation some are critical off, I find to be one of the most active things about Perth.
As I've traveled I've stayed in so many places that are just packed and overflowing with people everywhere. Where its hard to escape the crowds in public or at the shops, where there's traffic everywhere you try to visit.
No thanks. To me the isolation and wide open spaces are far better than being engulfed in a sweaty throng of people.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've heard mention the isolation as a feature that is enduring to Perth. I take the above post not to refer to the geographic location, but population spread of Perth metropolitan. Each to their own, obviously, but housing over two million people with rapid growth forecast, is a fairly substantial number, just the sprawling nature of the place, largely saps out the energy, disallowing much of an urban vibe, even worse making Perth, one of the most auto reliant cities on earth.

If one is not too fond of people or interpersonal relationships though, Perth is top drawer city to hold up.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 7:41 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Wait, what! Why should only alcohol have a culture around it?! That's one of the more odd things I have read on here. Tea has fantastic cultural significance in huge parts of the world, including our first country. Ditto coffee. Interestingly, of those three it's only alcohol that causes widespread health and social harm. I don't drink alcohol, apart from a glass of something on a very rare occasion, because it is literally the original mug's game. I love coffee though and buy it "out" about 4 times weekly - sometimes more, sometimes less.

I had to come to the defence of lovely coffee and I really enjoy the differences in coffee and experience in different cafes: it's definitely something I enjoy about visiting a new city.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
The isolation some are critical off, I find to be one of the most active things about Perth.
As I've traveled I've stayed in so many places that are just packed and overflowing with people everywhere. Where its hard to escape the crowds in public or at the shops, where there's traffic everywhere you try to visit.
No thanks. To me the isolation and wide open spaces are far better than being engulfed in a sweaty throng of people.
Hi, Are you meaning anything outside of the metropolitan area if Perth all the way down to Mandurah and way past the Mitchell Freeway when you mentIon traffic and crowds? Perhaps Perth must io changed vastly (which may be the case) since I left WA bit I remember shocking traffic jams in the Kwinana and Mitchell every rush hour and public holidays shopping centers were just as busy if not busier than where I live in the UK... especially on late night shopping on Thursday evenings. Perth city centre itself is very busy because it's the only real major city in WA. Now if your talking rural WA of course that's a completely different matter and for the very small towns dotted in the south and north of WA but truth be told they are quiet as for one reason or another not a huge amount of people want or can live in those areas.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi, Are you meaning anything outside of the metropolitan area if Perth all the way down to Mandurah and way past the Mitchell Freeway when you mentIon traffic and crowds? Perhaps Perth must io changed vastly (which may be the case) since I left WA bit I remember shocking traffic jams in the Kwinana and Mitchell every rush hour and public holidays shopping centers were just as busy if not busier than where I live in the UK... especially on late night shopping on Thursday evenings. Perth city centre itself is very busy because it's the only real major city in WA. Now if your talking rural WA of course that's a completely different matter and for the very small towns dotted in the south and north of WA but truth be told they are quiet as for one reason or another not a huge amount of people want or can live in those areas.
Perth, being one of the most car dependant cities on earth, is indeed being impacted ever more by traffic jams, hardly evident not too long ago. Although I fully approve of Perth City Centre becoming busier, it was necessary for a centre of a state capital to develop a vibe and buzz of sorts. I mean human traffic, obviously, as cars have always featured.
The centre though requires far more population growth, not just in short term hotel stayers, or medium term overseas students, (new developments, which are welcome, purely for the foreign student market) WE really need to build on the 21,000 population living within city limits, to create a better ground level experience for all.
It seems most rural town centres are attempting to revitalise their main streets, making them livelier, more colourful, in a bid to get people to linger (spend money) and add vibrancy. The latter will take time . The culture of early to bed will linger. The cost of going out is far too high. One thing my council, City of Vincent, kicked off, was removing the cost of outside tables and chairs, which has just been taking up also by City of Perth.

Whatever, what we need is far more vibrancy. People on the streets, not in cars. An ever more effective public transport system.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Perth, being one of the most car dependant cities on earth, is indeed being impacted ever more by traffic jams, hardly evident not too long ago. Although I fully approve of Perth City Centre becoming busier, it was necessary for a centre of a state capital to develop a vibe and buzz of sorts. I mean human traffic, obviously, as cars have always featured.
The centre though requires far more population growth, not just in short term hotel stayers, or medium term overseas students, (new developments, which are welcome, purely for the foreign student market) WE really need to build on the 21,000 population living within city limits, to create a better ground level experience for all.
It seems most rural town centres are attempting to revitalise their main streets, making them livelier, more colourful, in a bid to get people to linger (spend money) and add vibrancy. The latter will take time . The culture of early to bed will linger. The cost of going out is far too high. One thing my council, City of Vincent, kicked off, was removing the cost of outside tables and chairs, which has just been taking up also by City of Perth.

Whatever, what we need is far more vibrancy. People on the streets, not in cars. An ever more effective public transport system.
I agree with what your saying and I am really glad Perth city centre is now much more vibrant..I use to feel frustrated when returning back to Perth from overseas as it felt so...."lack luster" but really more because the potential of City was enormous...I can fully understand why people may need to go to bed at 9pm ..work commitments etc...but when it's because it's become a habit and because there really are not that many places open/to do after that time (in the subs anyway) to "visit", you feel (I/we did) your sleeping your life away...and we're not "ravers" lol but having a choice is lovely.
Have you ever thought of running for council? you would work wonders for Perth.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brits1
I agree with what your saying and I am really glad Perth city centre is now much more vibrant..I use to feel frustrated when returning back to Perth from overseas as it felt so...."lack luster" but really more because the potential of City was enormous...I can fully understand why people may need to go to bed at 9pm ..work commitments etc...but when it's because it's become a habit and because there really are not that many places open/to do after that time (in the subs anyway) to "visit", you feel (I/we did) your sleeping your life away...and we're not "ravers" lol but having a choice is lovely.
Have you ever thought of running for council? you would work wonders for Perth.
It has changed but not nearly enough. Perth, should be a principle city of the Indian Ocean region. It could be a dynamic city, full of regional culture and arts, an attractive place to visit and interesting flair with value . Perth, remaining a purely resource city, dependant on the whelms of overseas markets, especially China, and booms followed by downturns, pretty much Bogan, with a smallish but all powerful elite that run the show, is not necessary in this city's or State's interest.

We are also the Gateway to Africa. Last year we had a conference, followed by stalls and some cultural activities, by African countries, but connected to resources. We could easily expand on that considering a number of African countries have an Indian ocean location. Lets develop an Indian Market in CBD along the likes of Durban.
A big draw for tourists to that city and an interesting place to visit.
No, don't play well I'm afraid. Council would most likely not be for me, but an advisory role would be ideally suited, in possible directions Perth could awake and really move forward. The regions could further be progressed as well. Definitely with more on offer, Perthites would not necessary retire to an early slumber , but celebrate the added vitality and contribute towards it.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Grad2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

People are not spending? Enlighten me .... where is this occurring?
Here you go:

"Household goods (-2.8 per cent)
Clothing and footwear (-2.4 per cent)
Department stores (-1.1 per cent) and
Other retailing (-0.1 per cent)."

The falls were partially offset by rises in Food retailing (0.5 per cent) and Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (1.1 per cent).

In seasonally adjusted terms, there were falls in New South Wales (-0.6 per cent), Victoria (-0.5 per cent), the Australian Capital Territory (-1.8 per cent), Queensland (-0.1 per cent), South Australia (-0.3 per cent), the Northern Territory (-0.3 per cent), and Tasmania (-0.2 per cent.). The only state to have a rise in December 2018 was Western Australia (0.1 per cent).
Spending is down, savings are down, wages are barely moving, yes over there as well. House prices falling still, hence a lot don't feel wealthier. Wallet stuck somewhat in hip pocket.
Wages are barely moving: https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/6345.0
House prices are probably down 20% from peak at the top end in some parts of Melbourne (and I'm guessing Sydney too). According to AFR, some houses in East Melbourne are down 40% compared to last year.

Old Feb 24th 2019, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grad2018
Here you go:

Wages are barely moving: https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/6345.0
House prices are probably down 20% from peak at the top end in some parts of Melbourne (and I'm guessing Sydney too). According to AFR, some houses in East Melbourne are down 40% compared to last year.
All something of a big mess. It had clearly been seen on the horizon for ages, but a succession of poor government , completely indifferent to ground reality, ideologically compromised in the extreme, will lie, cheat and do what is required in an attempt to maintain power, turbo charged immigration, that makes the economy, appear better than in reality (GDP), second highest casual employment rate in the world, a proven corrupt financial system, an Aged Care System that is a disgrace to a First World Country, a Disability system not far behind, a system that allows corporates considerable tax breaks, poor regulation with regards citizens getting into debt, far beyond their capacity to pay by banks and mortgage salesmen, a country that operates with an abundance of rules and regulations for everyone else, cities that working people cannot afford to live in, so much going on behind the scenes as well.