Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plant lovers beware

Plant lovers beware

Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Plant lovers beware

I am quite a keen gardener, and once we moved into this house, i was keen to go search out lots of lovely new plants and pots etc. As we are only renting i decided to pot everthing so i can take it with us when we get our own place.

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

For anyone considering this idea, or indeed inherits a new backyard, please, please make sure you get a good irrigation system installed. My life is one big plant watering session...i am rarely seen without a hose in my hand, and yet the plants are still wilting! The heat is so great that plants dry out with incredible rapidness.
It might cost a bit to have a watering system installed, but it sure as hell will save in replacing frazzled plants!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 2:59 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Plant lovers beware

Originally posted by podgypossum
I am quite a keen gardener, and once we moved into this house, i was keen to go search out lots of lovely new plants and pots etc. As we are only renting i decided to pot everthing so i can take it with us when we get our own place.

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

For anyone considering this idea, or indeed inherits a new backyard, please, please make sure you get a good irrigation system installed. My life is one big plant watering session...i am rarely seen without a hose in my hand, and yet the plants are still wilting! The heat is so great that plants dry out with incredible rapidness.
It might cost a bit to have a watering system installed, but it sure as hell will save in replacing frazzled plants!
The water is metered out there is it not? Does this mean it could be quite an expensive pastime this gardening lark?

BTW, I'm with you. Some of the lush tropical looking gardens I've seen out there look fantastic!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hi Chippy

Yes, water is metred and thats another good reason to get these drip feed irrigation systems as it saves on water. I did fall for the lush tropical garden dream, but ive ended up with frazzled bonfire material LOL

Well...i guess you live and learn
Old Jan 4th 2004, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Well...i guess you live and learn
Pity your plants don't!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 11:48 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

Yes but think of the calories you are burning off On the gardening programmes they recommend water holding crystals for the top of the soil in potted plants, I am sure someone will know the proper name for them. Also you could add a layer of mulch to help keep the moisture in. All garden centres should offer advice on most effective water saving way to care for your plants.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 11:54 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Yes but think of the calories you are burning off On the gardening programmes they recommend water holding crystals for the top of the soil in potted plants, I am sure someone will know the proper name for them. Also you could add a layer of mulch to help keep the moisture in. All garden centres should offer advice on most effective water saving way to care for your plants.
If you are in a bush fire prone area do not use mulch next to the house. In periods of drought the stuff is tinder and is a known igniter of houses.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 11:56 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Xeriscape
Old Jan 4th 2004, 11:56 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by bondipom
If you are in a bush fire prone area do not use mulch next to the house. In periods of drought the stuff is tinder and is a known igniter of houses.
Good advice
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Most people who have reticulation around our area have a bore dug so that you aren't using domestic water. Probably an expense but worth it in the long run. At the moment, the house we are in, doesn't have a bore so we are limited to our daily doses of water through reticulation bu from the mains, 2 days a week. Weds and sat. If you have a bore, I think that you are aloud to water as often as you like, but don't quote me on that one.

Whisky
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by whisky
Most people who have reticulation around our area have a bore dug so that you aren't using domestic water. Probably an expense but worth it in the long run. At the moment, the house we are in, doesn't have a bore so we are limited to our daily doses of water through reticulation bu from the mains, 2 days a week. Weds and sat. If you have a bore, I think that you are aloud to water as often as you like, but don't quote me on that one.

Whisky
For those of you coming to the Redlands area, SEQLD, you are allowed to water using fixed sprinkler systems on three specific days per week, and stand there with hose pipes on the other days.
Water restrictions seem much harsher in other areas.

Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:29 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

Tell me about it!! I've turned into a garden nut!! We have reticulation on our front lawn but nothing on the back. It's a constant battle to keep any struggling green shoots alive!! The grass out the back looks like a sand pit!!!:scared:

I water on the given days, I've fertilized it, I've put 'stuff' (?) on it to retain the water and I've fed it to kill 'what llies beneath' !! but it's still bare as bones!!! Roll on the rain in winter!

I hate gardening.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:39 am
Good to be back in UK

link for the water crystals http://gardenmart.com.au/oscommerce/...products_id=69

Debco Terracotta & Tub mix $11.00

Click to enlarge
Debco Terracotta & Tub Mixture is the first potting mix formulated for the home gardener based on the special blends used by professional wholesale nurserymen. Terracotta & Tub Mixture has a special blend of nutrients and physical properties which will ensure that your container plants receive the best possible growing conditions.

- Terracotta & Tub Mixture contains;
#SaturAid Rewetting Granules
#Green Jacket Time Control Fertiliser
#Debco Water Storing Granules
#Trace Elements

Other benefits include;
- all in one formulation.
- formulated to provide the perfect balance.
- it will save you up to 50% on fertiliser and water because it contains Debco Water Storing Granules to store water around roots.
- Debco SaturAid Rewetting Granules help prevent drying out.
- 25% lighter than other potting mixes.

Use this mix if your pots are always drying out. The special water holding crystals hold the water to prevent stressing the plant in dry periods.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanx for that Donna..i'll go take a look at the garden centre.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky

Whisky
We looked into getting a bore dug but they quoted $2500, so as we don't plan staying here, it wasn't really worth doing it. You can tell the houses that use bore water, it stains the fences brown. Also the patio furniture and anything else left in the way. Our neighbour has a bore, he is restricted to using it every third day. There are no hose pipe restrictions at the moment, but you have to remember that for every drop that comes out, the meter is adding it all up!

And I agree about pot plants and hanging baskets, it's such a chore watering them all. You can place them near to the main plant areas/lawn, and run dripper pipes to them though, my hubby fixed some up for me at the weekend (and I didn't even ask him to, must want something ). Forget planting out marigolds and other summer annuals to tart up the garden, just too much watering, and in real hot weather they'll just wilt and look awful. Stick with planting native Australian plants, the kind that are used to hot, dry weather and then you can just leave your retic to water twice a week.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

Hi Nicky,
Why don't you go for the seculant type plants that need less water, cacti are a good one to buy and there's loads of choice at the garden centres. Also I heard that plants with small leaves need less water too. We got plant pots which are self watering although they still dry out in the very hot weather they seem to be ok and do hold some water back.

Juls
"Back to winter here in Adelaide"