Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

This is what it is all for!!!!!!!!

This is what it is all for!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice
Default This is what it is all for!!!!!!!!

I have encloed a piccy of our Citizenship Ceremony which happened this morning, 20 mins and it was all over, the most painful part was having the photos taken! LOL I can now apply for an Aussie passport.
Attached Thumbnails This is what it is all for!!!!!!!!-dsc00025.jpg  
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: This is what it is all for!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by invictia
I have encloed a piccy of our Citizenship Ceremony which happened this morning, 20 mins and it was all over, the most painful part was having the photos taken! LOL I can now apply for an Aussie passport.
Did you not get a free slap up feed at the local council? I did, only trouble was the Mayor who presented me with the certificate dropped dead a few days later
:scared:

Not sure if it was the sandwiches or the shock of me becoming an aussie.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Yeah, we got sandwiches and biccies, but there was only us there so it wa a very small affair, there are some more in the area for Australia Day but eldest son is in the Navy and needed his done whilst he was on leave, he goes back to base on Friday so we had it done early. Nice Ceremony but dont feel any different! Didn't get a wattle tree either! Just a book about the Far West Coast of South Australia! (4 times) and a medal!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Yeah, we got sandwiches and biccies, but there was only us there so it wa a very small affair, there are some more in the area for Australia Day but eldest son is in the Navy and needed his done whilst he was on leave, he goes back to base on Friday so we had it done early. Nice Ceremony but dont feel any different! Didn't get a wattle tree either! Just a book about the Far West Coast of South Australia! (4 times) and a medal!
Shikes, a medal, why didnt they give me one? Perhaps I'll sign up again, can just see me with an aussie medal

Seriously, congratulations its good to see people committed to the new country.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Seem to remember that I read somewhere, that of the Brits who emigrated and said they would take citizenship.......only 20% actually do it. Seems pretty small numbers to me - our initial thoughts are that we will be applying as soon as we are allowed to........but you never know!

Steve
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cookies
Seem to remember that I read somewhere, that of the Brits who emigrated and said they would take citizenship.......only 20% actually do it. Seems pretty small numbers to me - our initial thoughts are that we will be applying as soon as we are allowed to........but you never know!

Steve
It seems daft not to go for citizenship because residency has to be renewed if you ever want to leave and return to Oz after 5 years.

For me it will be practical but you never know I may go all Aussie.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

There was never any question of not becoming an Aussie, even if we hated it here (which we dont), we can now move back and forth between the UK, Oz and NZ with no difficulty. I will always keep my UK passport current 'cos there is NO WAY I'm gonna stand in the Alien Queue if I ever go back!!!!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:48 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations

You will no doubt be inspirational to those still waiting to acquire Aussie citizenship.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!

Is it true you can apply once you've been there 2 years?
Or do you have to be 5 years into your visa?
Sorry if I'm asking a much sought after question in the wrong forum- but hey I love to be awkward!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Well done. Glad you like it here.

Whisky
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dotty
Did you not get a free slap up feed at the local council? I did, only trouble was the Mayor who presented me with the certificate dropped dead a few days later
:scared:

Not sure if it was the sandwiches or the shock of me becoming an aussie.
PMSL!

Invicta: really pleased for you all best wishes for your futures,
rach, mark and chanelle
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

congrats, first pics i've seen of any citizenship ceremony, our aim too

xxx
Old Jan 7th 2004, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

In our case it took 4 years from landing, 2 years as a temporary resident - I'm on a spouse visa, we were granted Perm residency on 24 April 2001, so we had to wait until 24 April 2003 to be eligible, we applied on the 26 April over the internet and it was held up a little because we moved from one council area to another during the middle of it all!