Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Planning to move to Melbourne August 2006

Planning to move to Melbourne August 2006

Old Feb 26th 2006, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Melbourne August 2006

I wouldn't much fancy living in the eastrern suburbs if you have to drive into the city each day in rush hour, from my limited experience of it, it is ridiculous. Can't comment on the trains however.

I also live in Newport and the drive from here would also be crazy (hurry up and build the tunnel!!) but the train service is fairly quick although cramped in rush hour. We will be here for another year while our house is built and then we are off, we hate city life and our pets need more space

I've been here for almost 5 years so if there is anything I can do to help you out please feel free to PM me Good luck!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:18 pm
lotte

charlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nice
Smile Re: Planning to move to Melbourne August 2006

Hi everybody - I have been meaning to reply to this thread for ages & of course have just got around to it. We are hoping to get our visa perhaps in Sept, & move out to Melbourne before Christmas. I have all the same questions about schools & houses! Beaumaris & Parkdale sound lovely - can anybody tell me the drive time into Melbourne? Also is mentone worth looking at? Is the rush hour getting worse? I have a idealistic plan to work at the Royal Women's hospital (by Victoria market) - and don't know if we should be planning to live further in to make this feasible.

We have 2 boys - 6 & 3 so schooling (and sports!) is a priority, I think we could only afford the inner bay area if we lived further in - Bentleigh, Mckinnon, ormond etc - does anybody know any of these suburbs or if the schools are good?

My hubby isn't sure what he will do work wise when we get out there, but he is a marine engineer so hopefully he should be able to get work at the port, otherwise its up to me to be the breadwinner :scared: .

Good luck to those that have their visas already, fingers crossed to us lot that are still waiting!
Best wishes
Lotte
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

MummyKarin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the replies, it has helped give me a bit more of an idea of the different areas.
We will definetely concentrate on Bayside, probably not Beaumaris (it looks quite expensive on the real estate website) but somewhere relatively close to the beach, good schools etc perhaps 30-45 mins into city.
We have booked a holiday apartment in the Mornington Peninsula for the first week (Nepean Country Club - looks fab!) and even though Mornington is too far away from the city for us, at least we can take it as starting point and just look arround the suburds going from there towards Melbourne.

I have decided not to panic too much, I alread have a good idea about suburds and know that we want to live in Bayside, and it is impossible to find out excatly where you would like to live while you are still in the UK, so I will just take it easy, check out a few suburds around Bayside, make friends with an estate agent and just spend a few weeks finding a nice place to rent. My kids are only going to be 4 and 6 years old, so I wil not stress about them missing school for too long.
Mind you, this is what I say now, just wait till we get to Melbourne, I will probably get myself completely stressed out worrying about making the right choices....
5 months to go to take off.........
Old Aug 4th 2006, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

bleugh is on a distinguished road

sorry to bring back this old thread, i'll be starting work in east hawthorn, melbourne on the 13th of november, arriving for a recce end of october

i'm looking for a rental property, suitable for two people thats not too far from work, and will give me a 'springboard' to look round and find a nice place to live.

no real requirements other than car parking facilities

can any locals advise what to look for?. domain.com.au has rentals from around $200 per week, I recon I could go to $400ish if needs be, what's good value though!

I did all my research on adelaide and sydney, now the company wants me in melbourne!,. D'oh!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:13 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bleugh
sorry to bring back this old thread, i'll be starting work in east hawthorn, melbourne on the 13th of november, arriving for a recce end of october

i'm looking for a rental property, suitable for two people thats not too far from work, and will give me a 'springboard' to look round and find a nice place to live.

no real requirements other than car parking facilities

can any locals advise what to look for?. domain.com.au has rentals from around $200 per week, I recon I could go to $400ish if needs be, what's good value though!

I did all my research on adelaide and sydney, now the company wants me in melbourne!,. D'oh!
Where in East Hawthorn? have you got an address? We are only a few minutes drive so could take a nosy and see what public transport - roads around there are like. PM me.