Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advantages of buying a laptop in KL

Advantages of buying a laptop in KL

Old Jun 17th 2006, 10:29 am
garyc

garyc is a jewel in the roughgaryc is a jewel in the roughgaryc is a jewel in the roughgaryc is a jewel in the roughgaryc is a jewel in the rough
Default Advantages of buying a laptop in KL

We have a 2 day stopover in KL in early August and if I buy a laptop from a reputable firm in KL what dangers or advantages might exist e.g. global warranties, cost, import duties etc

Plus are there any shops which people can suggest?

As ever thanks in advance!

Gary
Old Jun 17th 2006, 10:50 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advantages of buying a laptop in KL

Originally Posted by garyc
We have a 2 day stopover in KL in early August and if I buy a laptop from a reputable firm in KL what dangers or advantages might exist e.g. global warranties, cost, import duties etc

Gary
Reputable firm in KL ???? They can see you coming...
Old Jun 17th 2006, 10:55 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Gary
Weighing up the pros and cons - it's probably a disadvantage. Even assuming you manage to make a saving on your purchase, it won't make up for the fact that you have a wide-ranging knowledge of the British market. What I mean by that is, you know which shops are good and which are bad - but you'll be flying blind in KL. And having looked at prices in Australia, KL, HK and here, before buying myself recently - I don't think there are any particularly good cost savings to be made - certainly not enough to make up for my point above about the possibility of buying from a bad dealer. Yes, you can get worldwide warranties - but always, literally, take the booklet out of the box and check! Also, have them fire up the PC, right click on the My Computer, select properties, and check that the CPU and memory listed matches what they're trying to sell you.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 10:55 am
garyc

garyc is a jewel in the roughgaryc is a jewel in the roughgaryc is a jewel in the roughgaryc is a jewel in the roughgaryc is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by thebears
Hence why I am asking
Old Jun 17th 2006, 11:01 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hence why I am asking
I am telling you. Dont bother. My family live there. But bought their laptop's in the UK. Get back the VAT and know its genuine.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 11:01 am
garyc

Originally Posted by Hutch
Weighing up the pros and cons - it's probably a disadvantage. Even assuming you manage to make a saving on your purchase, it won't make up for the fact that you have a wide-ranging knowledge of the British market. What I mean by that is, you know which shops are good and which are bad - but you'll be flying blind in KL. And having looked at prices in Australia, KL, HK and here, before buying myself recently - I don't think there are any particularly good cost savings to be made - certainly not enough to make up for my point above about the possibility of buying from a bad dealer. Yes, you can get worldwide warranties - but always, literally, take the booklet out of the box and check! Also, have them fire up the PC, right click on the My Computer, select properties, and check that the CPU and memory listed matches what they're trying to sell you.
Wise words
Old Jun 17th 2006, 11:05 am
Melbourne Australia

Wise words
Just noticed you are from Crawley. We were from Horsham just down the road.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 12:30 pm
garyc

Just noticed you are from Crawley. We were from Horsham just down the road.
horsham's nice but not as nice as Melbourne
Old Jun 17th 2006, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

horsham's nice but not as nice as Melbourne

Bought my dell on the internet £439 and came with everything plus anti-virus pre-loaded. Came from Ireland and took four days to get here.

Ali
Old Jun 17th 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

So true..
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Gary
what did you decide in the end?

we want laptop too, and will also go through KL in November or do we buy in Perth??