Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places to visit in Adelaide and Melbourne

Places to visit in Adelaide and Melbourne

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Places to visit in Adelaide and Melbourne

We're planing a few weeks over on the 'other side' of Oz and we could do with a few pointers from anyone over there please.

We will be spending 3/4 days in Adelaide then drive up the Ocean Road to Melbourne, spend 4/5 days there, then up to Sydney for 4/5 days. Now, Sydney isn't a problem we've got things sussed out for there, it's just we want to make the best use of our time in Adelaide and Melbourne, so your advice would be good.

We've got two small children so no trawling the vineyards suggestions please!!
Or do they have a creche?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 1:53 pm
maddi

paul&lynn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Places to visit in Adelaide and Melbourne

Hi,

Try Adelaide Zoo which is quite good, hippos were amazing. Also try the Adelaide Hills there is a kind of open zoo there where you can feed the kangaroos and actually hold koalas. Sorry can't remember exactly the name of the place in the hills. I have heard that there is a little steam train in the Dandenong Ranges near Melbourne but not been on it
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Ianrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really nice

Originally Posted by TraceyW
We're planing a few weeks over on the 'other side' of Oz and we could do with a few pointers from anyone over there please.

We will be spending 3/4 days in Adelaide then drive up the Ocean Road to Melbourne, spend 4/5 days there, then up to Sydney for 4/5 days. Now, Sydney isn't a problem we've got things sussed out for there, it's just we want to make the best use of our time in Adelaide and Melbourne, so your advice would be good.

We've got two small children so no trawling the vineyards suggestions please!!
Or do they have a creche?
You could try the toy factory at Gumeracha, up in the Adelaide hills.
Its got worlds largest rocking horse.Or the national motor museum is located in Birdwood,well worth a visit.
Cheers Iain
Old Jan 4th 2005, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

jdjnr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paul&lynn
Hi,

Try Adelaide Zoo which is quite good, hippos were amazing. Also try the Adelaide Hills there is a kind of open zoo there where you can feed the kangaroos and actually hold koalas. Sorry can't remember exactly the name of the place in the hills. I have heard that there is a little steam train in the Dandenong Ranges near Melbourne but not been on it
Hi,

If my memory serves me right i think the name of the steam train is 'Puffing Billy' or something very like it!!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

If you're near the Dandenongs, try Grant's Picnic Area - there are loads of cockatoos, galas, parakeets that you can hand feed.

Mornington Peninsular -
Arthur's seat maize maze - loads of mazes, themed gardens etc. nice for small kids.
Rye - shallow water, no surf, kid friendly paddling.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:27 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

In Adelaide I recommend Cleland wildilfe park and when you finish there walk up to the top of Mount Lofty (no more than an hour) for stunning views over the city. Take the old tram out to Glenelg (one of the nicest beach suburbs) too.

Melbourne - Puffing Billy and the Dandenongs (again), the penguin parade on Philip Island (kind of tacky but very impressive all the same - kids love it as the penguins come very close). Walk from the city centre to the MCG. It is a bit of a hike but you go through some lovely parkland and the MCG / Rod Laver tennis arena are impressive too. My best recommendation of all is the free city circle tram. Do a full loop to get your bearings then hop on and off to get to many of the sights.