Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

places to stay for families

places to stay for families

Old Mar 6th 2003, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

carey/steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default places to stay for families

Hello everybody, we have some flights booked to go to melbourne and brisbane over easter, can anyone recomend any nice places to stay that would be good for families. We would probably prefer to be out of the city around melbourne and i think we will be going to the sunshine coast after seeing friends in brisbane. Anyone know of accomadation which would be sort of middle of the road price wise.
As this is a chance to see different areas we may like to settle we will be doing a fare bit of driving about, we would like to have somewhere nice for the kids to come back to at the end of the day. Anyone got any thoughts?
Also we have never done long flights with the children yet, i expect it to be hell, anyone got any good tips to keep them amused other than a huge bag of new toys and lots of snacks. They are 6 and 2.
Thanks alot in advance Carey
Old Mar 6th 2003, 8:54 pm
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: places to stay for families

Originally posted by carey/steve
Hello everybody, we have some flights booked to go to melbourne and brisbane over easter, can anyone recomend any nice places to stay that would be good for families. We would probably prefer to be out of the city around melbourne and i think we will be going to the sunshine coast after seeing friends in brisbane. Anyone know of accomadation which would be sort of middle of the road price wise.
As this is a chance to see different areas we may like to settle we will be doing a fare bit of driving about, we would like to have somewhere nice for the kids to come back to at the end of the day. Anyone got any thoughts?
Also we have never done long flights with the children yet, i expect it to be hell, anyone got any good tips to keep them amused other than a huge bag of new toys and lots of snacks. They are 6 and 2.
Thanks alot in advance Carey
Hi Carey
We stayed in Caloundra last year, it's about an hour from Brisbane on the Sunshine Coast. Had a whale of a time. Our kids were 8,5 and 14 weeks at the time and there was plenty to do.
Who are you flying with?
With went with Malaysia and they have tele screens in the back of the seats in front. Complete with nintendo games. I took the 2 youngest by myself as we were unable to get flights together and they were fine. Hubbie went a day earlier with the eldest. Baby was excellent really slept in sky cot and only woke for feeds!!
Going back to Caloundra. It's only just up the road from Australia Zoo (the home of the crocodile hunter), kids were so excited to see Steve Irwin in the flesh!!!! He's a lot smaller in real life.
Great beaches, relax to your hearts content.
Gold coast we went to Sea World, Wet N Wild places like that also.
As well as building sites (hubbie is a chippy) asking around about work, pay etc.......
Hope this has been some help.
Debs
Old Mar 8th 2003, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Trax is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We will be in Melbourne for 5 days just before Easter. I know it is in Melbourne rather than out of town. but we are staying at Quest St. Kilda(Bayside) in a one bedroom apartment. I think it is costing approx A$145 per night. It sounds good as it has a proper kitchen and quite a few facilities which will be great with our kids - aged 7 and 6. I always prefer self catering with kids - it is cheaper and makes life so much easier.

We are looking at emigrating to Melbourne so want to spend time there looking at housing, schools, jobs etc - we don't really have enough time to do as much visiting far from the city this time.
Old Mar 8th 2003, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by debs&tim
Hi Carey
We stayed in Caloundra last year, it's about an hour from Brisbane on the Sunshine Coast. Had a whale of a time. Our kids were 8,5 and 14 weeks at the time and there was plenty to do.
Who are you flying with?
With went with Malaysia and they have tele screens in the back of the seats in front. Complete with nintendo games. I took the 2 youngest by myself as we were unable to get flights together and they were fine. Hubbie went a day earlier with the eldest. Baby was excellent really slept in sky cot and only woke for feeds!!
Going back to Caloundra. It's only just up the road from Australia Zoo (the home of the crocodile hunter), kids were so excited to see Steve Irwin in the flesh!!!! He's a lot smaller in real life.
Great beaches, relax to your hearts content.
Gold coast we went to Sea World, Wet N Wild places like that also.
As well as building sites (hubbie is a chippy) asking around about work, pay etc.......
Hope this has been some help.
Debs
Hi Debs, thanks for your thoughts, we are flying with malaysian, have heard lots of good things about them on here and from friends, the seatback tv,s are hopefully going to be a godsend. Our daughter is 2 and of course into everything other than keeping still, in fact the only time she does keep still is whilst watching t.v. Please let there be something for her to watch!!!!!! I have been wondering what the headphones will be like because if they are anything like those hook over the hook over the ears contraptions that i had with virgin they will not stay on. Never mind we will have to wait and see.
We are actually staying in central melbourne then on to brisbane and then driving to sunshine and staying in noosa, have heard lots of good things about here also. Does anyone know what we can expect from the weather as we,ve not been before just checked the guide books and they all say different things? How far on are you with your application?
Old Mar 9th 2003, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Default re melbourne

Originally posted by Trax
Hi

We will be in Melbourne for 5 days just before Easter. I know it is in Melbourne rather than out of town. but we are staying at Quest St. Kilda(Bayside) in a one bedroom apartment. I think it is costing approx A$145 per night. It sounds good as it has a proper kitchen and quite a few facilities which will be great with our kids - aged 7 and 6. I always prefer self catering with kids - it is cheaper and makes life so much easier.

We are looking at emigrating to Melbourne so want to spend time there looking at housing, schools, jobs etc - we don't really have enough time to do as much visiting far from the city this time.
Hi Trax we finally decided to stay in central melbourne as we also have lots to do, we arrive on the 18th april and have also gone for an apartment with kitchen etc, thought we might beable to save money eating in rather than out. Do you know or anyone else if their supermarkets are any good and where they are?
Are you heading anywhere else after melbourne?
Old Mar 9th 2003, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Jeannie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Carey,
Don't know if this helps or not but we are staying in a caravan park on the outskirts of Melbourne, a place called Beaconsfield. Not in a caravan, but they do self catering calets, sleeps four with ensuite and all cooking facilities etc for $450 a week. Gives the kids somewhere to run around after a day in the car, theres tennis courts and playgrounds etc.
I can give you contact details if you want.
Jeannie
Old Mar 9th 2003, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Default Re melbourne

Hi jeannie, Thanks for info, we have decided to stay in central melbourne now and have booked an apartment. When are you going and have you been before?
Old Mar 9th 2003, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Re melbourne

Hi jeannie, Thanks for info, we have decided to stay in central melbourne now and have booked an apartment. When are you going and have you been before?
Hi Carey,
We leave on 2nd April, heading to Sydney first for a week or so, then arrive in Melbourne 16th April. Just before the Easter weekend, don't know if that was good planning or not.
No, haven't been to Melbourne before. I am a Sydney girl by birth, married a Scot, and have lived in the UK for the past 17 years. Time has come to go home, and after making alot on the sale of our house here, my husband has to agree. We chose Melbourne for lots of reasons. Real estate prices are cheaper than Sydney and we will both be making a new start together rather than me going back to my old home town.
We are house sitting in Beaumaris, in bayside for the first wee while which will be nice.
When are you off and where have you got your apartment?
Jeannie
Old Mar 9th 2003, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

smiths2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Trax
Hi

Hi
I have heard from a local that St. Kilda is the "red light" district.
So I'm not sure it could be recommended.

Cheers

Steve
Old Mar 9th 2003, 8:38 am
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Debs, thanks for your thoughts, we are flying with malaysian, have heard lots of good things about them on here and from friends, the seatback tv,s are hopefully going to be a godsend. Our daughter is 2 and of course into everything other than keeping still, in fact the only time she does keep still is whilst watching t.v. Please let there be something for her to watch!!!!!! I have been wondering what the headphones will be like because if they are anything like those hook over the hook over the ears contraptions that i had with virgin they will not stay on. Never mind we will have to wait and see.
We are actually staying in central melbourne then on to brisbane and then driving to sunshine and staying in noosa, have heard lots of good things about here also. Does anyone know what we can expect from the weather as we,ve not been before just checked the guide books and they all say different things? How far on are you with your application?
Hi Carey/Steve
Sorry the headphones are the same!!!!
Not sure about the weather, sorry.
We are hoping to go back end of April beginning of May for more fact finding. (Not too sure about this) but we got in a bit of bother last year for taking kids out of school (2 days extra) and so this year we plan to validate when visa comes through. So we are going without the 2 oldest and just taking little one this time!!
They are fine with it as we've told them that we are going to find out lots of info. (Boring for them). Really don't want to leave them for 2 weeks but they will have a whale of a time with nanny and grandma. Still might change our minds and take them though.
We applied in July last year and are waiting for requests for medicals/police checks.
How long are you going for?
How far have you got?
Keep in touch.
Debs & Tim
Old Mar 9th 2003, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jeannie1
Hi Carey,
We leave on 2nd April, heading to Sydney first for a week or so, then arrive in Melbourne 16th April. Just before the Easter weekend, don't know if that was good planning or not.
No, haven't been to Melbourne before. I am a Sydney girl by birth, married a Scot, and have lived in the UK for the past 17 years. Time has come to go home, and after making alot on the sale of our house here, my husband has to agree. We chose Melbourne for lots of reasons. Real estate prices are cheaper than Sydney and we will both be making a new start together rather than me going back to my old home town.
We are house sitting in Beaumaris, in bayside for the first wee while which will be nice.
When are you off and where have you got your apartment?
Jeannie
Hi jeannie, we are leaving the uk on 15th april stopping off in kuala lumpa then arriving in melbourne on the 18th, we are staying in central melbourne can,t remember the name of the place as the paperwork is downstairs but i think it,s near the exhibition hall. Has 2 bedrooms kitchen etc. After this we are heading for brisbane then sunshine coast then back to melbourne. It will be hectic but worth it i think!! Our first trip so we are all very excited. Do you think the weather in melbourne will be ok,ish at this time?
Old Mar 9th 2003, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by debs&tim
Hi Carey/Steve
Sorry the headphones are the same!!!!
Not sure about the weather, sorry.
We are hoping to go back end of April beginning of May for more fact finding. (Not too sure about this) but we got in a bit of bother last year for taking kids out of school (2 days extra) and so this year we plan to validate when visa comes through. So we are going without the 2 oldest and just taking little one this time!!
They are fine with it as we've told them that we are going to find out lots of info. (Boring for them). Really don't want to leave them for 2 weeks but they will have a whale of a time with nanny and grandma. Still might change our minds and take them though.
We applied in July last year and are waiting for requests for medicals/police checks.
How long are you going for?
How far have you got?
Keep in touch.
Debs & Tim
Hi Debs i just knew the headphones would be like that, never mind i might see if i can get any childs ones before i go.
I had a bit of aworry about taking my six year old out of school as he,s doing his sats so i knew they would be funny about it, as it turns out he,s actually going to be there when they do them so that,s ok. Weare going for total of 19 days including stopovers, not long enough but what can you do!!!!
We are at the very start of the process, just sorting out skills accesmen with agent. That,s why we are going to melbourne heard from lots of people it,s a lovely place, ithink we,ve got a good chance of being nominated by victoria so thought we,d see for ourselves what it,s like. Will be seeing Brisbane and sunshine on this trip also so we will see.Can,t wait!!!!!! Do you know where you will settle in melbourne?
Old Mar 9th 2003, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi jeannie, we are leaving the uk on 15th april stopping off in kuala lumpa then arriving in melbourne on the 18th, we are staying in central melbourne can,t remember the name of the place as the paperwork is downstairs but i think it,s near the exhibition hall. Has 2 bedrooms kitchen etc. After this we are heading for brisbane then sunshine coast then back to melbourne. It will be hectic but worth it i think!! Our first trip so we are all very excited. Do you think the weather in melbourne will be ok,ish at this time?
Four seasons in one day is what they say about Melbourne. But let's face it, looking at the Grand Prix today, it is better than here.
Have a great trip you guys and keep us posted what you found out.
Jeannie
Old Mar 9th 2003, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jeannie1
Four seasons in one day is what they say about Melbourne. But let's face it, looking at the Grand Prix today, it is better than here.
Have a great trip you guys and keep us posted what you found out.
Jeannie
I sure will!!!